Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Tello controller ground station setup!

Guorium

Reaction score
The mobile ground station setup. T1d + iphone x + xiaomi repeater + luofani 4400mah torch powerbank. I used a 15 x 1.5cm velcro strap to bind the power bank and controller. 24 inch bike tube cut to slide over the powerbank to give it some grip against the controller phone holder. This is my best setup so far, compact, modular and quick.

E5F31A1E-33FC-4C0C-BE79-43F470FBC95D.jpeg

D4E46CCD-10F2-476D-AE13-C06E1EF0A212.jpeg

E9E05849-40AD-4D50-82FE-737F00FE39B2.jpeg

Reactions: Nate5711
It's cool, but I'm afraid phone and repeater will work better when they are some metters apart.
What is your basis for claim? As far as I know wifi works best when it is close (i asked a phd student in IT and he knows about wifi more than avg joe). In fact having the repeater this way made my video better and signal stronger than having it 1-2m away from me on the floor. I will go out and test it by hanging the repeater at the same height but a few meter away from me when I have the time. I know it is better to have the repeater away from me for more range but I am not trying to fly too far.

answer is Interference.

An example: Try to hear a distant wisper at the same time you are shouting ;)

I can attest to that. I was flying with the wifi extender next to my phone and when I took photos at 30m high, they would fail. Once I separated the extender from the phone, the photos came up fine.

Reactions: raulvolador
answer is Interference.

An example: Try to hear a distant wisper at the same time you are shouting ;)

Ok lets talk in your language. Convo 1: phone & repeater. Very aloud. Convo 2: Repeater & tello. Whisper. Now here is where the talking analogy fall flat. While you can notice a noticeable drop in voice level between a talker next to ur ears and a talk few meters away. Wi-Fi strength drop over a few meters of air is almost nothing. That said, I will still be doing a outdoor video comparison between my setup, bt off and your suggested separation. Making tello follow the same route 100m out and return. @Ansia that’s new, never encountered photos not saving... sounds like an app glitch

Ok, @Guorium that's only my opinion.

I'm not a WIFi expert. I only learned a bit by reading tips from others in this forum. There are very wise people here. We all have a lot to read and learn.

Enjoy your groundstation and have fun flying Tello.

Raul.

Ok lets talk in your language. Convo 1: phone & repeater. Very aloud. Convo 2: Repeater & tello. Whisper. Now here is where the talking analogy fall flat. While you can notice a noticeable drop in voice level between a talker next to ur ears and a talk few meters away. Wi-Fi strength drop over a few meters of air is almost nothing. That said, I will still be doing a outdoor video comparison between my setup, bt off and your suggested separation. Making tello follow the same route 100m out and return. @Ansia that’s new, never encountered photos not saving... sounds like an app glitch
Nope. Happens in all 4 apps.

Nope. Happens in all 4 apps.
on the same phone right? it maybe a combined effect of having the repeater too close and your phone.

@raulvolador all good. It is all in the chase of the best performance. If your suggestion works then I would happily stick to it. I need proof because theory can only go so far on paper. That is why I am doing a field test in a couple hours. Will update this in a new thread.

on the same phone right? it maybe a combined effect of having the repeater too close and your phone.

@raulvolador all good. It is all in the chase of the best performance. If your suggestion works then I would happily stick to it. I need proof because theory can only go so far on paper. That is why I am doing a field test in a couple hours. Will update this in a new thread.
Close, but no. Happened on phone and tablet.

Your
Ok, @Guorium that's only my opinion.

I'm not a WIFi expert. I only learned a bit by reading tips from others in this forum. There are very wise people here. We all have a lot to read and learn.

Enjoy your groundstation and have fun flying Tello.

Raul.
Your suggestion worked. See my field test post. Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: xcrost

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv