Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Tello EDU in computer science class in secondary school

SteenN

Reaction score
I'm a teacher from Denmark starting a computer science class in January. I've bought the Tello EDU and have put together courses using Scratch and Python. (it's secondary school but for beginners).

I'm completely new to drones myself but so far the Tello EDU looks like a great way to introduce students to programming. My plan is to start the course using Scratch and then move on to Python. The problem is Swift. The material in Swift Playground is not real Swift programming and it is for children.

Writing code in Swift that interacts with the drone using Sockets is not so hard but so far I haven't got code that can show the video.

I've seen the C#/Java code from Krag which is really excellent and I would love to have something similar in Swift - first of all the video feed from the Tello camera.

I had hoped that the IOS Mobile SDK from DJI would support the Tello drone, but unfortunately that's not the case. So my conclusion so far is that coding in Scratch and Python works really well but right now I'm not sure I should include Swift in the course. The video feed is where all the fun begins (and I'm running out of time)

Does anyone know where to find code for Swift that can show the video? It's too complicated to ask my students to write their own decoder and I'm not sure which way to go myself. Should I integrate ffmpeg in the project or can the raw H264 stream be handled using IOS frameworks such as VideoToolBox?

Reactions: DinoBaldi
I'm a teacher from Denmark starting a computer science class in January. I've bought the Tello EDU and have put together courses using Scratch and Python. (it's secondary school but for beginners).

I'm completely new to drones myself but so far the Tello EDU looks like a great way to introduce students to programming. My plan is to start the course using Scratch and then move on to Python. The problem is Swift. The material in Swift Playground is not real Swift programming and it is for children.

Writing code in Swift that interacts with the drone using Sockets is not so hard but so far I haven't got code that can show the video.

I've seen the C#/Java code from Krag which is really excellent and I would love to have something similar in Swift - first of all the video feed from the Tello camera.

I had hoped that the IOS Mobile SDK from DJI would support the Tello drone, but unfortunately that's not the case. So my conclusion so far is that coding in Scratch and Python works really well but right now I'm not sure I should include Swift in the course. The video feed is where all the fun begins (and I'm running out of time)

Does anyone know where to find code for Swift that can show the video? It's too complicated to ask my students to write their own decoder and I'm not sure which way to go myself. Should I integrate ffmpeg in the project or can the raw H264 stream be handled using IOS frameworks such as VideoToolBox?

Official Python sample code can display video

A Sample Code that implements the formation function of multiple tellos

BTW
Swift Playgrounds book is Open Source, you can see the book source code.
Select the Tello book , airdrop to mac. next u can change the book and return it to iPad.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karlyan