Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Tello flipping on takeoff

Clueless

Reaction score
I just started using my new Tello. It was working fine for about a total of an hour or so(more or less) total flight time of 8 to 10 full battery flights. My son had it on a flight and a few minutes into a new battery it stopped taking off properly. I don't know if he crashed it or not, he says it just fell out of the air. The exact problem is that it always flips diagonally to the rear right as if the front left is overpowering it. It flips and shuts off. I tried changing out that rear right prop and no difference. All the props spin equally freely so it is not stuck or sticking. It get power and turns. It just seem like not enough. I tried checking to see if it will take off in the throw mode to check the prop spin. When I start it they all turn equally fine for the 5 seconds before shutting off with no difference between the back corner prop and the other three. If I try taking off like that it flips itself and shuts down. Everything I see on the internet with this uneven flipping problem says it comes from the wrong prop on that corner but it is the correct prop and flew fine with it for an hour before this malfunction started. Editing this...I just tried it again and it seems like the back prop is delaying its start by a bit and a few times did not spin at all so it is definitely something wrong with the back right corner. Is this likely a motor problem or a wiring problem?

Check the positions of the propellers. He might have been put it in a wrong motor.

Remove all the propellers and perform a calibration. Then, carefully check your propellers for breaks. I hit a truck and chipped a little piece off the end of one propeller, so small that it was not even noticeable. This caused the drone to flip over on takeoff. Compare all at the same time.

Propellers are inexpensive and having several on hand is a good idea. Note that there are clockwise and counter-clockwise propellers. If your son replaced a broken one he might have put the wrong one on. On my Tello, viewing it so that I can read the "Tello" label, the pair marked with a raised line are in the upper left and lower right. There is a corresponding mark on the motor mount but it's hard to see with the guards on.

Reactions: ntritt
Follow up: I sent it back for waranty repair. It was a problem with the wiring which was frayed during installation and made worse during flight. It was repaired and sent back under warranty.

Reactions: Ansia
Follow up: I sent it back for waranty repair. It was a problem with the wiring which was frayed during installation and made worse during flight. It was repaired and sent back under warranty.
What was the turn around time from when you sent tello in...? My tello is going in the mail tomorrow...

From the time they received it, was a week and a half before they shipped it out. There were good email updates such as a notice they received with pictures of it and the shipping packaging and an inventory such as 1 Tello 4 propeller guards and 1 battery, then another email when they diagnosed it, and another one when it was repaired and shipped. It felt like it was making slow steady progress through an assembly line. Very good automated customer service and effective for mass satisfaction. Kind of felt like it was just a small cog in a big machine and not at all personable which I would rather have than some person blowing smoke and blowing you off.

From the time they received it, was a week and a half before they shipped it out. There were good email updates such as a notice they received with pictures of it and the shipping packaging and an inventory such as 1 Tello 4 propeller guards and 1 battery, then another email when they diagnosed it, and another one when it was repaired and shipped. It felt like it was making slow steady progress through an assembly line. Very good automated customer service and effective for mass satisfaction. Kind of felt like it was just a small cog in a big machine and not at all personable which I would rather have than some person blowing smoke and blowing you off.
cool ,they state in the shipping instructions for me not to ship accessories like propellers, guards ect... just the bare tello i guess...

Propellers are inexpensive and having several on hand is a good idea. Note that there are clockwise and counter-clockwise propellers. If your son replaced a broken one he might have put the wrong one on. On my Tello, viewing it so that I can read the "Tello" label, the pair marked with a raised line are in the upper left and lower right. There is a corresponding mark on the motor mount but it's hard to see with the guards on.

Solved it for me! Thanks so much :) I was kinda freaking out haha

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv