Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Tello lands immediately after takeoff

3.14ter

Reaction score
Hello guys, I need some help.
This is my first post, don't kill me pls if I said something wrong.

My Tello lands immediately after takeoff. I tried virtually anything to make it fly again but without success. First the Tello app threw up all kinds of warning and error messages.

Alredy tried:
-updating firmware
-resetting firmware (2-3 times)
-calibrating the IMU (about 3 times)
-using a new battery (after repeatedly seeing Error 13 and going through its debug list)

Lately it says week wi-fi signal.
Note: It has a replaced motor. The drone takes off completely vertically, so missoldering is not likely. I have checked the aerial wires too, but they seem to be intact.

Please help, if you have any solutions or ideas, how to solve the problem.
Thank you for your answers.

Your phone will reconnect to your preferred (home) internet connection, thereby disconnecting the Tello WIFI, causing it to land.

In case you experience disconnects after takeoff definitely do the flight mode thing.

If there is no disconnect then it's yello doing an autoland, which typically happens when the battery depletes faster than anticipated.
Could be a weak battery or the replacement motor drawing too much energy, or a combination of both.
Maybe fresh battery can fix it but maybe not.

The connection seems to be stable - disregarding the _week wi-fi signal_ warning. There was not a single time when it had disconnected.
The autoland seems to be a promising thread. The battery was changed to a brand new and didn't solve the problem. However I discovered that the motor is not Tello's 8520, so that might be the problem.

If I solder a CW motor on the place of a CCW one and switch the wires before soldering than does it function the same right? I mean reverse rotation compared to the marketed, but same operation. As it was a CCW motor for the same aircraft.

Last edited:
Reactions: volate!lo
These motors are simple DC motors. There should no be distinction between CW and CCW types. It's just a matter of how you solder the wires to the motor.

Brushed drone motors have directional brushes, therefore the CW / CCW designation.
When wired with wrong polarity they will turn into the desired direction but with less thrust and only for a fraction of their rated lifespan.

Brushed drone motors have directional brushes, therefore the CW / CCW designation.
When wired with wrong polarity they will turn into the desired direction but with less thrust and only for a fraction of their rated lifespan.
That does'nt apply to the coreless motors of Tello. The motors itself have no designated direction and all four motors are physically identical.
But as quadcopters need to have correct assignments of CW and CCW to given motor positions, the cables / connecter plugs are typically marked in order to avoid confusion.
For more background see e.g. What are coreless DC motors?
As another example (because you are speaking German), see the hint at: Gleichstrommotor 0615 6 x 15mm CW / CCW Coreless Brushed Motor (4 Stück) 3-3,7V
It says "Drehrichtung 2x CW und 2x CCW (Es handelt sich um 4 identische Motoren, die über die Polung Links- bzw. Rechtsdrehend sind)"
But please note that these motors are 0615 (smaller). Tello requires 8520 (8.5x20 mm).

But I cannot say which KV value applies to Tello motors. I assume 15000KV like these: Amazon.de (in the comments, someone says the replacement works for his Tello).

All I can say is that all coreless drone motors i have crashed & torn apart in my early drone days had a different brush orientation for CW / CCW, including Hubsans running 8520s.

Never broke a tello motor so maybe these are different.

If you follow discussion on other forums you will see confligting answers.
I think the reason is, that out there both types of motors can be found in the "coreless" family.

Some are "biased", others are not "biased". A good recommendation will be to follow the manufacturers recommendation. If there are clear marks or different colors of wires, they may be biased and in that case they should be used as indicated.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karlyan