Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Tello piggiback by 8266-ESP 01S

TelloPY

Reaction score
Hi.

I am thinking about putting a 8266 ESP01S on my tello. The ESP can act as a wifi hotspot and I want it to send commands to the tello API via UDP. Since the drone is carrying around its own hotspot, there should not be a limit in distance anymore. We could implement the following:

1. You can fly autonomous missions with no restriction to the wifi signal
2. RTH: So for example if the wifi to the controller/phone/pc gets lost, the ESP can initiate a safe return to home.

The ESP01 is small and lightweight.

What do you guys think? Anyone in to help and do this project with me?

Oliver

The wifi range is limited by power and antenna size. While the Tello might be happy, your phone will still lose contact with the ESP8266. UNLESS, of course, you fly the hotspot on a second Tello and program it to fly at 0.5 the distance to the second ... interesting on many levels, but ultimately useless...

For most purposes, I have found it easier to just put the repeater in my pocket and walk/follow the Tello, keeping it in range.

Fly more, program less!

Hi.

I am thinking about putting a 8266 ESP01S on my tello. The ESP can act as a wifi hotspot and I want it to send commands to the tello API via UDP. Since the drone is carrying around its own hotspot, there should not be a limit in distance anymore. We could implement the following:

1. You can fly autonomous missions with no restriction to the wifi signal
2. RTH: So for example if the wifi to the controller/phone/pc gets lost, the ESP can initiate a safe return to home.

The ESP01 is small and lightweight.

What do you guys think? Anyone in to help and do this project with me?

Oliver

I have already done a similar project.

Reactions: masju
Wow... That is cool and exactly what I will try!

Amazing: Some questions:
- What 8266 board are you using?
- Where did you get that cool bracket? 3D printed?
- Do you want to share some experience? How far did you fly? Could you receive the video?

So here is what I want to do different:
Since I do not want to use a RC unit, I want to add the code for OTA updates and the web server to your code. With that I can preprogram missions and execute them using a web like interface on the 8266. The missions will always start and end at the mission pad.

What do you think?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv