Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Tello wifi range extender

meross mre 220 unviable now contacted supposed to have on amazon by next month I seen people trying to sellthem for over $200.00 when they were avalaible between 15 -20 someone probably told them it works with
drones and jacked up the price

meross mre 220 unviable now contacted supposed to have on amazon by next month I seen people trying to sellthem for over $200.00 when they were avalaible between 15 -20 someone probably told them it works with
drones and jacked up the price
Xiaomi Range Extender 2 has a longer range and is cheaper than the Meross.

Reactions: volate!lo
grueDRONE I WAS WONDERING ABOUT THIS ONE LET US KNOW HOW IT WORKS
i get it tomorrow and will post! although ill probably not outside as it'll be dark when i get home from work. what im hoping it does is extend a little. but more than that increase quality of signal video etc.

i got it! plug n play with my ipad.

plugged it into my power brick, ipad settings wifi, saw wifi+ and connected to it. opened my browser typed in wifiplus.cn webpage said scanning and i did not see the tello! next, i powered on the tello waited a few then at bottom of webpage hit the rescan button a couple f times and now saw tello. clicked on that, got some type of message, went back to ipad settings and saw that the device created a network with tello name plus something appended, connected to that with my ipad. launched the tello app and took off!

i had full bars in the livingroom and then flew into the kitchen and back into the living room via anther hallway. full bars throughout. was about max distance of 30ft away.

will test outdoors this weekend weather permitting.

in house there was some stuttering on the video feed which i set to 1mbps. also low light warnings so very blocky and noisy. but not a lot of stuttering. my guess is the more noise in the feed the worse it will be. so excted for a normal outdoor test!

will test outdoors this weekend weather permitting.

in house there was some stuttering on the video feed which i set to 1mbps. also low light warnings so very blocky and noisy. but not a lot of stuttering. my guess is the more noise in the feed the worse it will be. so excted for a normal outdoor test!

Nice to know about this option.

Just waiting for your report on outdoor performance before I press the BUY button.

so last night i searched youtube for wifi+ range extender and found two or three videos but they were with a parrot drone. one was on a beach and he flew out over the bay 1.4km. the other was at a farmish rural area and he got 150ish meters. another was a snow covered rural area and he was 1.5km

EDIT:

Here are some links

Out over the bay:

Rural farm like area:

Rural area snow:

There was one more where the guy almost hits some power lines

Anyway, given the circumstances, rural open range type areas, the one i trust the most is the 2nd video i linked to since it seems like there's more stuff going on around him, more popluated area. the over the bay one, no interference direct line of site, the snow one is also low populated area so who knows.

Last edited:
so last night i searched youtube for wifi+ range extender and found two or three videos but they were with a parrot drone. one was on a beach and he flew out over the bay 1.4km. the other was at a farmish rural area and he got 150ish meters. another was a snow covered rural area and he was 1.5km

But in your opinion is that repeater worth paying twice the price of the Xiaomi one?

well, my biggest concern was having to install an app to work with the extenders out there. i found the wifi+ one and only browser connecting needed. that's not to say it's 100% secure, there could still be crap on the mobo that scans and captures wifi signals, locations, or plant spyware on the device that connects to it. but who knows. plus others have been complaining about difficulty connecting/extending with other brands. also i figured i'd throw out an alternative and report to people that yes it works and how well. i'll tell you this though, it sure is **** easy to setup!

and like i said with those youtube vids not sure i'm going to get nearly a mile! but if it can help the connection in a populated area and i can reliably get 300ft out of it, fly around the house for example, then great!

i've seen people on youtube with tripods they put this or other extenders and power packs on. i hav ea 3d printer so i might just print up a little bracket and set it up on a tripod and stand near it. it's probably better to get it up off the ground.

that one was npwhere to be found! out of stock, guess its back now :)

you know they are all probably decent. these three. i think the biggest thing for me was a mpre stsble connection within 300ft. anywho let us know hpw the meross work.

i still havent flown mine outside because in december in wisconsin sun goes down at 430pm. we are on th upswing though!

EDIT:

Here are some links

Out over the bay:

Rural farm like area:

Rural area snow:

There was one more where the guy almost hits some power lines

Anyway, given the circumstances, rural open range type areas, the one i trust the most is the 2nd video i linked to since it seems like there's more stuff going on around him, more popluated area. the over the bay one, no interference direct line of site, the snow one is also low populated area so who knows.

You do realize that #1 and #3 are about a Bebop 2 and #2 is about the Zerotech Dobby?

While I have no experience with the extender you mentioned, I have use another router. I have been out well over 3km with a B2 but never managed more than a 300-400m meters with the Dobby. Dobby was major disappointment in all aspects, except still photo quality.

i do realize that, menttioned it in the post. although i thought all were parots... so there you go.

also i should reiterate that i think that 2nd video is the most realistic where he gets about 40 or 50 percent increase in distance whereas the others i have no expectations of going 1km. interference is a factor etc... well all i can say is i will eventually be able tp test! just not tomorrow 10 to 15mph winds continue!

edit ... wait wow thats awesome that the b2 can do 3 km! so was that with a router then? and whch router?

What I wanted to say is that the router is only one part of the puzzle. B2 was purposely made to do long distance FPV with up to 1000mW wifi power (crippled in most regions) and a decent sized MIMO antenna setup. The dobby and Tello were made to be used in 30-50m distance and both carry wifi equipment that is adequate for this job but no more.
As a result you just can't compare the benefits of a router for the B2 with the benefits of a router for a Dobby or Tello.

In a B2 + phone use case the phone is the weak spot. Add a good router that matches the qualities of Bebop's wifi and you will see at least 2-3km range (good conditions, no interference, clear line of sight).
In a Dobby + phone setup both are equal. Add the same router, and Dobby becomes the weak link. No way to get beyond maybe 800-1000m.
In a Tello + phone scenario Tello is the weak link. Add the router and it becomes even more obvious how weak Tello is. No way to get beyond 300~400m.

There is only so much you can do without improving Tello's wifi (which you won't improve unless you have RF equipment and know how). The only thing you can do is get into the antenna war: multiple directional high gain antennas.
But then its no longer all-purpose long distance FPV, but a "just stay in the beam!" FPV. OK for records, not for fun.

Yes, my B2 can do 3,5km on a "normal" router with almost perfect video stream. Done that a few times over open seas when following some friend's boats. I use a Xiaomi Nano Youth.
But thats by no means a record, I don't follow that closely but I guess around 5km or more is doable these days. That's a distance where the flight time becomes a restriction as automatic RTH can only do 10m/s and an RTH from 5km is about 10min flight time or 45% of the battery for a normal B2.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv