Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

TelloMe iOS

volate!lo

Reaction score
I just realized that my announcement for this app was in the development forum. So here we go again:

I recently released TelloMe for iOS devices, currently in version v1.2.0: ‎TelloMe

TelloMe is an app strictly for visual tracking of persons, faces, and arbitrary objects and to make Tello follow.
In "Rotate mode" Tello can strictly follow (that is rotate to center the object in the view, and keep a constant distance and altitude relative to the object).
In "Profile mode" Tello uses roll to keep a stable position relative to the object (so it can actually fly ahead of someone and record him).
In "Orbit mode" Tello flies circles around someone / something at a constant distance (this can even work if walking slowly)
In "Manual mode" (experimental) Tello automatically keeps the object in frame using yaw & throttle and the user can control the direction using pitch & roll (Similar to POI lock in TelloFpv but based on visual guidance instead of some coordinates, so Tello will automatically keep the object / person in frame).

TelloMe iOS is _not_ TelloFpv iOS and will never change into that. It is an app strictly for computer vision applications.

It can only take videos (because photos interfere with image stabilization required for computer vision). It does not have sport mode (because that also interferes with computer vision). It does not have support for controllers (because BT also interferes with computer vision, and a controller is not useful for the intended use case).

BTW: For the exactly same reasons TelloFpv will never get any computer vision features - plus I'd need to kick out most existing users because of new hardware requirements.
I am currently working on TelloMe Android and will announce when ready!

Here are a couple of reviews and examples:

Thank you so much for this great app! I tested it today on my local sports field and it worked flawlessly (I used a Xiaomi Wifi extender and also no dropped video frames ?).
However, only problem I found is when I try and edit the videos on my 2 week old iPhone 11. The videos have saved from the TelloMe app into my album and replay just fine, but I’m not sure if I’m doing something wrong or the video codec has a problem - my iPhone will not edit the videos at all. To get around this I have to create a movie of the individual clip in iMovie, then save it. Once iMovie has re-codes the video I can then edit.

Reactions: georgi UK
That is a known issue. TelloMe records the stream as it arrives from Tello. Tello sends IFrames only every 7s, and so the resulting video contains IFrames only at 7s intervals.
You have to cut at exactly these points or you get pixel salad.

I will have to add some function to re-encode the video instead of exporting it straight to the galery.

I will look into this after TelloMe Android is ready for release.

Reactions: Smarty
That is a known issue. TelloMe records the stream as it arrives from Tello. Tello sends IFrames only every 7s, and so the resulting video contains IFrames only at 7s intervals.
You have to cut at exactly these points or you get pixel salad.

I will have to add some function to re-encode the video instead of exporting it straight to the galery.

I will look into this after TelloMe Android is ready for release.

Thanks for reply, look forward to the update. But for now this is no big deal. Here is the video I put together...

You can download Media Converter from the App Store. It will fix the videos and can import directly to iMovie mobile.
On your desktop computer you can use FFmpeg to do the conversion and fix the files.

Chris

This is a must have app! Really outstanding and I have not tried all the options yet, but I did record a couple of videos with it. This one showcased the excellent work our ground crew is doing in our community.

wow. 5 minutes without loosing an object is really excellent
Well, I think the credit goes to the developer of TelloMe, wink wink. I just tried to pace it and hope it didn't decide to tangle with a tree, sign post, or something else and it did an amazing job! I posted the video to our Nextdoor community and it was a big hit there. Now I'm getting requests to do some of the other streets.

This is a must have app! Really outstanding and I have not tried all the options yet, but I did record a couple of videos with it. This one showcased the excellent work our ground crew is doing in our community.
This was definitely one of the best Tello videos that I have seen. I've watched it 3 times. A few close calls (tree, street lamp, speed limit sign), wow. Did you do any on the fly adjustments? Unfortunately I don't have an iphone and my android is too old for the future release of the android version of TelloMe. But I do have TelloFPV, which is amazing. Once again, excellent video.

Reactions: bogirdm and xcrost
This was definitely one of the best Tello videos that I have seen. I've watched it 3 times. A few close calls (tree, street lamp, speed limit sign), wow. Did you do any on the fly adjustments? Unfortunately I don't have an iphone and my android is too old for the future release of the android version of TelloMe. But I do have TelloFPV, which is amazing. Once again, excellent video.
Thank you for your kind words! But no, I did not do any adjustments during the flight other than to pace the speed of the drone. I failed to set the maintain altitude setting, so as a result, if I slowed down the Tello lowered altitude and if drove too fast, it climbed, so I just tried to maintain a speed that would keep me in the center of the screen and hope it stayed locked in. The biggest shock was discovering a car behind me towards the end while having a person walking their dog about to approach where I needed to turn into my driveway. I quickly parked and took control of the drone at that point, but it had already done everything I could want to ask of it. Pretty awesome software to be able to do all that! Best couple of bucks I've spent in a long time.

Reactions: xcrost
I just realized that my announcement for this app was in the development forum. So here we go again:

I recently released TelloMe for iOS devices, currently in version v1.2.0: ‎TelloMe

TelloMe is an app strictly for visual tracking of persons, faces, and arbitrary objects and to make Tello follow.
In "Rotate mode" Tello can strictly follow (that is rotate to center the object in the view, and keep a constant distance and altitude relative to the object).
In "Profile mode" Tello uses roll to keep a stable position relative to the object (so it can actually fly ahead of someone and record him).
In "Orbit mode" Tello flies circles around someone / something at a constant distance (this can even work if walking slowly)
In "Manual mode" (experimental) Tello automatically keeps the object in frame using yaw & throttle and the user can control the direction using pitch & roll (Similar to POI lock in TelloFpv but based on visual guidance instead of some coordinates, so Tello will automatically keep the object / person in frame).

TelloMe iOS is _not_ TelloFpv iOS and will never change into that. It is an app strictly for computer vision applications.

It can only take videos (because photos interfere with image stabilization required for computer vision). It does not have sport mode (because that also interferes with computer vision). It does not have support for controllers (because BT also interferes with computer vision, and a controller is not useful for the intended use case).

BTW: For the exactly same reasons TelloFpv will never get any computer vision features - plus I'd need to kick out most existing users because of new hardware requirements.
I am currently working on TelloMe Android and will announce when ready!

Here are a couple of reviews and examples:
Hi, I have this app and it’ works great, only thing is I wished it kept recording after it looses tracking as my videos are cut short as I’m riding away from the drone. Is this possible?
I want the recording to keep going even though it has lost me on the tracking as it is usually pointing in the general direction anyways

Sure. Recording is only stopped automatically if it was activated automatically.
If you start recording manually it will not stop.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv