Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Unofficial Standalone Golang Tello Package Released

SMerrony

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I just released a standalone Go (Golang) package for the Tello at GitHub.com/SMerrony/tello

It couldn't have been built without information gleaned from this forum - so thanks guys!

There's also an enhanced version of my tello-desktop telloterm application which uses the package - it's linked to in the README.

Hope someone else has some fun with this :)

Steve

Last edited:
Hi Steve,

I immediately tried your Golang library. At the time the video feed to Opencv is running like a glove (y)(y)
Many thanks for your dedicated work on this!

My next goal is to implement some kind of motion tracking for autonomous flights.

So far i have not found any missing functions.

Best Regards,
Robin

Reactions: SMerrony
Second public release - more functions

I just released v0.2.0

This release adds some new functions to the API: GetMaxHeight(), GetSSID(), GetVersion(), GetVideoBitrate(), GetLowBatteryThreshold() and SetLowBatteryThreshold(), SetVideoNormal() and SetVideoWide().

Documentation has been updated and a new ImplementationChart.md gives an overview of the Tello commands we currently understand and how this package handles them. It is intended to complement, not replace, the godoc documentation of the package.

A field in FlightData - BatteryLower has had its name changed to the more accurate BatteryCritical. Some new fields have also been added to this struct to support the new functions above.

Hello,

When I try to compile the tello desktop using this package, I get this very long series of error messages:

Code:
 github.com/veandco/go-sdl2/sdl
In file included from _cgo_export.c:3:0:
../../../../veandco/go-sdl2/sdl/events.go:38:9: note: #pragma message: SDL_DROPTEXT is not supported before SDL 2.0.5
#pragma message("SDL_DROPTEXT is not supported before SDL 2.0.5")
         ^
../../../../veandco/go-sdl2/sdl/events.go:41:9: note: #pragma message: SDL_DROPBEGIN is not supported before SDL 2.0.5
#pragma message("SDL_DROPBEGIN is not supported before SDL 2.0.5")
         ^
../../../../veandco/go-sdl2/sdl/events.go:44:9: note: #pragma message: SDL_DROPCOMPLETE is not supported before SDL 2.0.5
#pragma message("SDL_DROPCOMPLETE is not supported before SDL 2.0.5")
         ^
# github.com/veandco/go-sdl2/sdl
../../../../veandco/go-sdl2/sdl/audio.go:22:9: note: #pragma message: SDL_DequeueAudio is not supported before SDL 2.0.5
#pragma message("SDL_DequeueAudio is not supported before SDL 2.0.5")
         ^
../../../../veandco/go-sdl2/sdl/events.go:38:9: note: #pragma message: SDL_DROPTEXT is not supported before SDL 2.0.5
         ^
../../../../veandco/go-sdl2/sdl/events.go:41:9: note: #pragma message: SDL_DROPBEGIN is not supported before SDL 2.0.5
         ^
../../../../veandco/go-sdl2/sdl/events.go:44:9: note: #pragma message: SDL_DROPCOMPLETE is not supported before SDL 2.0.5
         ^
...Many similar messages later...
         ^
../../../../veandco/go-sdl2/sdl/video.go:77:9: note: #pragma message: SDL_WINDOW_POPUP_MENU is not supported before SDL 2.0.5
#pragma message("SDL_WINDOW_POPUP_MENU is not supported before SDL 2.0.5")
         ^
../../../../veandco/go-sdl2/sdl/video.go:80:9: note: #pragma message: SDL_WINDOWEVENT_TAKE_FOCUS is not supported before SDL 2.0.5
#pragma message("SDL_WINDOWEVENT_TAKE_FOCUS is not supported before SDL 2.0.5")
         ^
../../../../veandco/go-sdl2/sdl/video.go:83:9: note: #pragma message: SDL_WINDOWEVENT_HIT_TEST is not supported before SDL 2.0.5
#pragma message("SDL_WINDOWEVENT_HIT_TEST is not supported before SDL 2.0.5")
         ^
../../../../veandco/go-sdl2/sdl/video.go:88:9: note: #pragma message: SDL_WINDOW_VULKAN is not supported before SDL 2.0.6
#pragma message("SDL_WINDOW_VULKAN is not supported before SDL 2.0.6")
         ^
../../../../veandco/go-sdl2/sdl/video.go:91:9: note: #pragma message: SDL_GL_CONTEXT_RESET_NOTIFICATION is not supported before SDL 2.0.6
#pragma message("SDL_GL_CONTEXT_RESET_NOTIFICATION is not supported before SDL 2.0.6")
         ^
../../../../veandco/go-sdl2/sdl/video.go:94:9: note: #pragma message: SDL_GL_CONTEXT_NO_ERROR is not supported before SDL 2.0.6
#pragma message("SDL_GL_CONTEXT_NO_ERROR is not supported before SDL 2.0.6")
         ^
In file included from events.c:1:0:
         ^
         ^
         ^
In file included from hints.c:1:0:
         ^
         ^
         ^
In file included from log.c:1:0:
         ^
         ^
         ^
# github.com/veandco/go-sdl2/ttf
In file included from ../../../github.com/veandco/go-sdl2/ttf/sdl_ttf.go:5:0:
./sdl_ttf_wrapper.h:5:22: fatal error: SDL_ttf.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.

How do I go about fixing this? I'm assuming I have to update SDL, but I'm not sure how to go about doing this...
I'm using Kubuntu 16.04.

EDIT: Compiling SDL from source did not fix this.

EDIT2: Updating to Kubuntu 18.04 fixed this. Go figure.

Last edited:
Just released v0.8.0 which has some experimental autopilot funcs including AutoFlyToXY().

Have problem
Code:
C:\Users\thaia\go\src\tello-master>go test autopilot_test.go
# command-line-arguments
.\autopilot_test.go:31:15: undefined: Tello
.\autopilot_test.go:61:15: undefined: Tello
.\autopilot_test.go:92:15: undefined: Tello
.\autopilot_test.go:129:15: undefined: Tello
.\autopilot_test.go:161:12: undefined: calcXYdeltas
.\autopilot_test.go:164:11: undefined: calcXYdeltas
.\autopilot_test.go:167:11: undefined: calcXYdeltas
.\autopilot_test.go:170:11: undefined: calcXYdeltas
.\autopilot_test.go:173:11: undefined: calcXYdeltas
.\autopilot_test.go:176:11: undefined: calcXYdeltas
.\autopilot_test.go:176:11: too many errors
FAIL    command-line-arguments [build failed]
and
Code:
C:\Users\thaia\go\src\tello-master>go build autopilot.go
# command-line-arguments
.\autopilot.go:48:14: undefined: Tello
how to run this?

@thaiacepilot - You need to understand how Go packages work and what role they perform in applications. You will find good explanations on the golang.org website.

@thaiacepilot - You need to understand how Go packages work and what role they perform in applications. You will find good explanations on the golang.org website.
Thank Now I know how to build it but in AutotoXY mode it have problem drone always error (fly in wrong direction eg. to (0,2) then (0,0) my drone didn't fly back but it always fly to right..)

Wanted to say that the telloterm app is awesome. I modified it to write the video to a named pipe and then fed it to a streaming server to broadcast it. So cool. Really nice library.

Reactions: SMerrony
After cannibalizing some code from VideoTest and TelloTerm (that being the saveVideo() function), I managed to get the drone to be able to save video as well as preview it while under autopilot. Unfortunately, it seems that there's only enough bitrate, or perhaps processing power, to do only one at a time - doing both at the same time leads to very broken images (which is still saved and displayed in almost real time.)

@SMerrony Do you happen to know of a way to save and record at the same time using mplayer, using the format you've used to create a StdInPipe and send it to mplayer?

@FlandersNed I don't think the bitrate matters. In your app simply change the loop that sends the data to mplayer to write it out to disk at the same time. It is in raw H.264 format - so you may need to post-process it a little.

@FlandersNed I don't think the bitrate matters. In your app simply change the loop that sends the data to mplayer to write it out to disk at the same time. It is in raw H.264 format - so you may need to post-process it a little.
A bit late, but just to inform others, I set mplayer to dump the .h264 stream as a .mp4. I then separately started another mplayer instance that played the video file in parallel.

It has inherit lag because of the gap between saving the video and viewing it, but it works.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv