Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

VitaTello, a PS Vita app - advice appreciated!

JacekJagosz

Reaction score
Website
github.com
Hi, this is VitaTello, a PS Vita app for controlling Tello.
Right now it is only a proof of concept, with no way of receiving data from Tello. But you can already fly your Tello from one device, using only analog sticks, which is nice.
Just be careful, as without battery and WiFi indicator it might autoland or loose signal if you are not careful.
Here is my repository, you can download a .VPK in releases. I plan on uploading it to vitadb when it gets good enough.
I have a lot of questions and would be thankful if anybody could answser them:
  1. I used official SDK v2. Is it a good way to go or should I use what others do and use non plain English commands? Or is low level api the way to go? I'm going to switch to it when I implement all other features, plain English commands are way easier to troubleshoot and it should be relatively easy to make the change.
  2. If I can stick with SDK v2, what about missing commands, like fast mode or altitude limit? Can mix commands from official and unofficial SDK?
  3. How often can I send stick data to Tello? By trial and error I found that pausing the thread by 0.1 between each update is fine, but what is the best way? Waiting on answer from drone?
  4. Any good resources (apart from your wiki)? Which current API is the simplest to disassemble and convert to C(++)? In last few days I couldn't really grasp any of them.
  5. What is the best way to ask questions in the future? Will you check this thread up?
This is my first application ever, and for PS Vita at that. I have moderate experience with programming Arduinos, I know C to some degree, and played with Processing (Java), and Python.

Last edited:
Hi,

thank you so much for your effort.
Unfortunately I have no experience in programming, so I do not have any answers I just made an account to encourage you to stick to it.
I really wanna see this happen and think a Vita with the right firmware would be an awesome device to control the tello.

I will test the VPK this evening when I am home!

Thanks again for doing this!

Hi,

thank you so much for your effort.
Unfortunately I have no experience in programming, so I do not have any answers I just made an account to encourage you to stick to it.
I really wanna see this happen and think a Vita with the right firmware would be an awesome device to control the tello.

I will test the VPK this evening when I am home!

Thanks again for doing this!
Thank you,
just be aware that right now this app uses official Tello API, and not reverse engineered of the official tello app. This means that Tello behaves a bit differently: it keeps constant height over ground and not absolute height (now if you start at the bottom of a hill 1m above the ground and only fly forward, you will constantly keep 1m above the ground). No fast mode, altitude limited to 15m.
And as you don't have telemetry, you don't know current battery level and WiFi range. If you hold the PS button you can check current signal on the Vita, but that's it, so be careful.
I'm working on it, since release of the .VPK I have already made a few improvements, I hope I can keep up as I'm starting university next week.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv