Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

VR Goggles

alan860

Reaction score
Does anyone use the tello with an iPhone and oculus VR? Is there some easy way to do this or are you best just using some 10 buck goggles?

I have used generic VR goggles with an Xbox controller attached to my phone using the TelloFPV app's VR glasses option...it works really well but you need to know which button does what (fully memorized) because once you bird is in the air you can't just look down on your cheat sheet because you forgot what button takes pictures....so practice with the phone first then graduate slowly to the VR.

Edmond

Reactions: umanbean
I’ve been doing that mate but fancied trying a better quality vr equipment

The app works on the Occulus go according to some users but I never bothered getting into this.

Making a dedicated Oculus / GearVR version doesn't make much sense, too few TelloFpv users actually use the VR function

Reactions: CallmeDash
I bought today a cheap used Gamesir G4s controller (I still prefer only the phone for regular flying) only for use with my old passive VR set (using my phone as screen and Tello FPV app) and was delighted with results.

It's good that in TelloFPV you can set inter-pupillary distance - it works great even with such a cheap setup :)

Attachments

• VR.jpg
    VR.jpg
    735.7 KB · Views: 26
It's good that in TelloFPV you can set inter-pupillary distance - it works great even with such a cheap setup :)
Also TelloFPV has many other 'unsung' features that put it well above any other inexpensive app for an inexpensive (but FUN!) little quad!

It took about a year for me to decide to look into VR with the Tello, glad i did...

Thanks. I guess almost every Android user that does a little research ends up getting the app one way or another. Actually it's the only way to do VR FPV, as the stock app really sucks in VR mode.

With a wired controller and a decent phone display its probably the cheapest way to get into HD quality immersive FPV. Perfect for folks cruising along and watching the scenery, but of course totally different from the more conventional FPV setups. I don't get thrills from dodging obstacles and doing loops and all that, I just want to enjoy the scenery. And for that Tello is a much much better choice.

Reactions: Fari
Thanks. I guess almost every Android user that does a little research ends up getting the app one way or another. Actually it's the only way to do VR FPV, as the stock app really sucks in VR mode.

With a wired controller and a decent phone display its probably the cheapest way to get into HD quality immersive FPV. Perfect for folks cruising along and watching the scenery, but of course totally different from the more conventional FPV setups. I don't get thrills from dodging obstacles and doing loops and all that, I just want to enjoy the scenery. And for that Tello is a much much better choice.
What VR goggles do you recommend to use? I'm just looking for a basic set that I can use with my Android phone (Samsung 8+) and the TelloFPV app. I do have a GameSir controller - I use it with bluetooth. I noticed you mentioned wired?

Just get any cheap VR goggles that fit you nose, your phone, your eyes, how much you want to spend.
Mine is a Fiit VR2s but I doubt its for sale anymore.

Just don't get any Daydream, GearVR and such as they have their own ecosystem

Wired controller is better as bluetooth causes interference with wifi and causes video breakups. Lots of comments about it here

Reactions: CallmeDash
Just get any cheap VR goggles that fit you nose, your phone, your eyes, how much you want to spend.
Mine is a Fiit VR2s but I doubt its for sale anymore.

Just don't get any Daydream, GearVR and such as they have their own ecosystem

Wired controller is better as bluetooth causes interference with wifi and causes video breakups. Lots of comments about it here
Ok, thank you! Since I'm a newbie, when you say wired, what do you mean? Is it a wire from the controller to the phone? Sorry if I'm a little ignorant on some of these details!

Wired means wired to the phone via USB OTG

This site is full of advice around such details

My Tello FPV setup, Samsung S8+, GameSir G4S connected via Wireless RF dongle connected to the USB port on a Samsung VR Gear 2017 using OTG adapter.
20200208_084519.jpg
I disabled Oculus Autostart via ADB. I just need to have Tasker Auto launch Tello FPV when connected to the VR Headset.

Is there a way to launch Tello FPV in FPV mode first or maybe via mapped button like volume or controller?

Attachments

• 20200208_084519.jpg
    20200208_084519.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 10
I think you should just remove the adaptor that connects it to your phone and launch the app manually

The gear VR uses oculus and no app for this purpose is built like a 360 vr game
That is correct, the gear VR uses oculus software but this can be disabled via ADB which renders the hardware still useful while disabling the annoying Oculus services which is launched each tIme you connect your handset to the headset.

This is why I asked if Tello FPV can be launched via an alternate method as the Oculus service has been disabled but the hardware is definitely still usable.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv