Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

WIFI extender not connecting to Tello

hellotello1

Reaction score
Hi there, am at a loss here, perhaps I'm completely overlooking something.

Have purchased this extender:
Xiaomi Mi Amplifier Smart WLAN USB WIFI Repeater 1 Extender Signal Booster 300M

So I guess this is version 1, not 2. (perhaps this has something to do with the problem, so I thought I'd mention it.)

Iphone used is an Iphone 6

I installed the MI Home app, set the location Mainland China (I'm in the USA) then tried to connect everything.

Please see the pics, this is as far as I have come. I've reset the Extender about 6 times now, uninstalled and re installed app.

Do I have the wrong extender (1 vs 2) or am I overlooking something? Any input most appreciated !:)

Pics from phone;

IMG_2666 (1).PNG

followed by :

IMG_2667 (1).PNG

followed by;

IMG_2668 (1).PNG

Last edited:
Make sure your drone is on and the Wi-Fi is visible. Then you should be able to extend the Wi-Fi that is being broadcast by your drone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

yep, done that. Checked to see if the wifi extender works by pairing it with my home internet router and no problem, there it connected fine. it just does not want to connect to the drone. :( Perhaps because the extender is a gen1 and not a gen 2? Anyone managed to get a gen 1 paired up with the drone?

Reactions: EETWiz
Hi there, am at a loss here, perhaps I'm completely overlooking something.

Have purchased this extender:
Xiaomi Mi Amplifier Smart WLAN USB WIFI Repeater 1 Extender Signal Booster 300M

So I guess this is version 1, not 2. (perhaps this has something to do with the problem, so I thought I'd mention it.)

Iphone used is an Iphone 6

I installed the MI Home app, set the location Mainland China (I'm in the USA) then tried to connect everything.

Please see the pics, this is as far as I have come. I've reset the Extender about 6 times now, uninstalled and re installed app.

Do I have the wrong extender (1 vs 2) or am I overlooking something? Any input most appreciated !:)

Pics from phone;

View attachment 6759

followed by :

View attachment 6760

followed by;

View attachment 6761
Hi bro..send me whatsapp. Maybe I can help you. +52 8682 543615

hellotello1,

The last step "Connecting to network timed out" cannot be completed because Tello has no connection to the Internet, if the blue LED on the Xiaomi Mi lights up everything is okay. Is then a new WLAN TELLO - ??????_plus available?

If not, use this trick:

Put the Tello aside.
Temporarily replace the home WLAN name in your router with the name of your Tello TELLO - ?????? and be sure to assign a password, save the change in the router.
Reset the Xiaomi Mi and set it up again, as you have already tested with your home WiFi. When the blue LED on the Xiaomi Mi lights up, everything is okay and the new WLAN TELLO - ?????? _ plus is born.
Disconnect the Xiaomi Mi from the power supply and change your home WiFi back to the original values, save the change in the router.
Connect the Xiaomi Mi to a power supply, switch on Tello, wait about 30 seconds until the blue LED on the Xiaomi Mi lights up and then connect your smartphone to the new WLAN TELLO - ????? _ plus.

good advice:
Use the alternative TOP app "TelloFPV", as described many times here, this offers a larger range of functions, more setting options and is easier to use. You can test beforehand with "TelloFPV Demo".

I wish you success

Reactions: hellotello1
hellotello1,

The last step "Connecting to network timed out" cannot be completed because Tello has no connection to the Internet, if the blue LED on the Xiaomi Mi lights up everything is okay. Is then a new WLAN TELLO - ??????_plus available?

If not, use this trick:

Put the Tello aside.
Temporarily replace the home WLAN name in your router with the name of your Tello TELLO - ?????? and be sure to assign a password, save the change in the router.
Reset the Xiaomi Mi and set it up again, as you have already tested with your home WiFi. When the blue LED on the Xiaomi Mi lights up, everything is okay and the new WLAN TELLO - ?????? _ plus is born.
Disconnect the Xiaomi Mi from the power supply and change your home WiFi back to the original values, save the change in the router.
Connect the Xiaomi Mi to a power supply, switch on Tello, wait about 30 seconds until the blue LED on the Xiaomi Mi lights up and then connect your smartphone to the new WLAN TELLO - ????? _ plus.

good advice:
Use the alternative TOP app "TelloFPV", as described many times here, this offers a larger range of functions, more setting options and is easier to use. You can test beforehand with "TelloFPV Demo".

I wish you success
thanks, i'll look into this!

Did you rename the Tello wifi? These extenders will not accept wifi names with any special characters including the hyphen so you need to rename the tello as something it can recognise

Reactions: Bsotoiii
yep, done that. Checked to see if the wifi extender works by pairing it with my home internet router and no problem, there it connected fine. it just does not want to connect to the drone. :( Perhaps because the extender is a gen1 and not a gen 2? Anyone managed to get a gen 1 paired up with the drone?
Did you change the name of Tello? It doesn't like anything with a hyphen in the name. Rename it and it should hook up.

Few days ago, i setup Tello with Xiaomi Extender Pro (the one with wall plug, sadly, as it's only wifi repeater i had in my office)

Renamed Tello wifi (use simple name without any symbols)
Setup Mi home app, and it did just that ("connection time out, bring device close", bla-bla)

but after that, exit Mi home app, and scan Wifi, there is new Wifi ater Tello's Wifi + plus,
thats it.. as long as repeater LED shows blue light, connect to new Wifi after Tello, and open app see if you get video reception.

I guess, that last step in Mi home app, the repater tried to check if source wifi has internet (ofcourse, Tello wifi didn't have internet, so it fails in last step)

but as long as new wifi created after Tello Wifi + plus, it works..

Hi Everyone!

This issue is mostly because of the IP adress.. both devices repeater and tello use the same IP address creating a conflict between each other.. I just changed the IP adress on my repeater website and its working..

By the way now Im using Pix Link wifi repeater.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv