Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

WiFi Repeater Advice

Chrislaf

Reaction score
I am new to Tello, but not new to drones (have a Spark and P3S). I have been reading a lot about people getting a WiFi Repeater to extend Tello range and improve video quality. What I am trying to determine is if a repeater is something I might need. I have the Tello and a Gamesir T1d controller which I use with my iPhone 7. Aside from flying around in the house and only a couple of times in the back yard, everything has been working great. With the limitations of the Tello in mind, I do plan to fly it in other places, especially in places where it is not practical to fly my Spark or P3S. Without a WiFi repeater how far approximately can I really expect the Tello to fly? I know the specs say 100m but is this really the case especially in an area with lots of WiFi signals? Can I expect a repeater make a huge difference in video quality and overall stability of the Tello?

I have been considering the Xioami Mi 2 repeater which is only about $15CAN but don't want to get it if it will not make much of a difference and will be one more piece of equipment to have to fumble with.

Chris

I've had significant success with the repeater.

Here's a video on YouTube of someone demonstrating the improvement over a football pitch:

I've had significant success with the repeater.

Here's a video on YouTube of someone demonstrating the improvement over a football pitch:
Thanks, for the video. It looks like the repeater does make a big improvement over just the phone WiFi.

Xiaomi wifi extender works great. I use it for all my flights.

Flying in the countrisede, far away from WIFI interference I got an amazing 500 meters range. See here

Tello 507 meters challenge

Adding a Windsurfer homemade antenna reflector I got 650 meters mark, until today an unbeaten record:

Tello 650 meters range

When I take off from my backyard, located in the middle of urban area, with crowded WIFI signal I can safety fly about 150 meters away.

I hope it helps

Raul
----

Thanks, I think I will be ordering the Xiaomi extender. Don’t plan on flying out too far or breaking any distance records but if it improves the signal transmission then it is worth it.

For distance, I have a Spark and P3S so I got that covered.

Chris

Thanks, I think I will be ordering the Xiaomi extender. Don’t plan on flying out too far or breaking any distance records but if it improves the signal transmission then it is worth it.

For distance, I have a Spark and P3S so I got that covered.

Chris
I own both the Tello and P4P. I find more satisfying flying the Tello some 20 meters high and 100 to 200 meters distance and seeing the little guy go at it. It probably is because it’s a little toy drone that was limited to X distance and how the community came together to take that much farther. With the Phantoms, what you see is what you get. Once you go at it, you will understand what I mean.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
philipp.weisser@ksehingen