Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Ap command

robfero

Reaction score
Hi, I'm trying without success to use the "ap" command to let the Tello join an existent wifi network. I'm able to send all commands to the drone successfully.
With the ap command the only result is that the Tello closes its WIFI network and tries to join the wifi SSID specified in the command but always fails to do it and I have to reset it each time.
SSID and pwd are correct. Is there any restriction on type of security or others parameters of the wifi network?
Has anyone succeed in using this command?

thanks,
Roberto

I'm no help at the moment. Both of my units are to be delivered on the 2nd.

I'll test it out and get back to you then ?

Please check this video, may be of some hint

It seems to be like this:

get a router or set up your computer with a hot spot, note the ssid and password

connect the tello edu one by on and give them ap xxxx yyyy command

this will set up the tello edu so it no longer to be connected with your computer manually next time you power it up but to start connection to the router/ hot spot after power up

a few tello edu can be connected to the same hot spot/ router at the same time with different address, (DHCP server inside the hot spot or router)

get a way to find out their address, (say check the router connection page if you can access it) and you can command them individually as you like.

Thanks, I've been able to configure it. At the end it seems that I was using an UDP client that has some issues with LF/CR. Using the ryze python script now the Tello connects to my wi-fi and accept command through it.
It's a real pity that in this configuration the iOS app is not usable since it send commands always to 192.168.10.1. Since I'm not going to reconfigure my whole network to give the Tello this IP, I'm trying to find a way to route traffic. Having a Google Wifi probably I will not be able to do it.
I hope that in a future app version (and maybe firmware if needed) they will support other IPs.

Hi, @robfero -- were you able to get video to work while the drone was on a different network?

Thanks.
No, my Mac doesn't receive any UDP packet from the drone if both are connected to the same wifi network different from the Tello one. If I connect directly the Mac to the Tello wifi I can show the video using ffplay.
If I have time, I want to try to setup a wifi network with a router using the same IPs of the Tello wifi (192.168.10.1 for the drone and 192.168.10.2 for the Mac). I would like to check if the Tello is sending UDP packet always to 192.168.10.2. Otherwise it is my router that is dropping UDP packets.

@robfero At this point I don't think video is supported in station mode.

I set up a wlan sniffer to watch all wlan frames going to/from the Tello EDU, and I don't see evidence that it's sending video in station mode.

Setup:
-- used airmon-ng to set up monitor mode on my wifi card with the right wifi channel
-- used wireshark to look at all wlan frames going to/from the MAC address of my Tello

Results:
-- ping the Tello from a 3rd device -- I am able to see the ping and response
-- send a "command" message to the Tello. The Tello sends "ok", goes into SDK mode, and starts sending telemetry. I am able to see all of the traffic (but not the contents). Telemetry frames are 301 bytes.
-- send a "streamon" message every second. I see the frame being sent to the Tello, and the reply. I see no increase in frames from the Tello, and no frames larger than 301 bytes.

If you have better luck, please let me know.

Reactions: Mike Shock
Hi All,

I am doing the same thing and it couldn't streamon due to below reason.
I believe the battery power consumed to let video channel to any device remotely will be huge therefore Ryze was drop this ideals. (Guessing)

Rook drone did the same thing but it only allow their drone to fly 5 min.
(Rook Drone Project Announces IndieGoGo Project Cancellation | DroningON - Drone Leaks, News & Reviews)

There must be some way to do it. If found, do share thank you very much.

Best Regards,
frequency

Thanks, I've been able to configure it. At the end it seems that I was using an UDP client that has some issues with LF/CR. Using the ryze python script now the Tello connects to my wi-fi and accept command through it.
It's a real pity that in this configuration the iOS app is not usable since it send commands always to 192.168.10.1. Since I'm not going to reconfigure my whole network to give the Tello this IP, I'm trying to find a way to route traffic. Having a Google Wifi probably I will not be able to do it.
I hope that in a future app version (and maybe firmware if needed) they will support other IPs.
hi, would this work for the Tello Tech version as well? Or is it exclusively for the Tello EDU?

hi, would this work for the Tello Tech version as well? Or is it exclusively for the Tello EDU?

Hello Roberto,
I currently have a DIJ TELLO Ryze (not an EDU Tello) and would like to be able to do swarm flying like in the video:
tried as in the video with "Packet Sender" then in another way with a python code to use the "ap" command to allow the Tello to join an existing wifi network to reset the ssid and password. Unfortunately always the same response from the drone (unknown command)Also, talk to you in a previous discussion (I site you) about:"In the end, it appears I was using a UDP client that was having issues with LF/CR. Using the Ryze Python script, the Tello now connects to my Wi-Fi network and accepts commands through it" .

Can you help me.
Waiting to read from you, Thank you in advance.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv