Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

aTello (Android) Development Thread

Ur alright I understand u must see these posts all the time but I appreciate the help thanks ?

Krag,

Great job. Thanks a lot !

aTello v0.96 works like a charm into my mobile phone Samsung Galaxy A3 and into my tablet Samsung Galaxy Tab A (2016)

RTH function is great too.

Keep working, please. I hope this development stays alive.

Cheers.

Raul

Reactions: qaab and Gleba
Used aTello app on my LG G4.

Works fine.

Recorded two videos and had a really hard time finding them. Then I took a screenshot of the quick message that popped up:
Video Converted. Result: Success:/storage/emulated/0/aTello/video/cache/July 27 2018 22-14-54.h264.mp4

Used the File Manager app to find and copy the videos into a visible folder for viewing and offloading.

One thing I noticed is that the aTello app videos are 960x720 wheres the Tello app videos are 1280x720.

It also appears that aTello app videos do not have image stabilization. That's not necessarily a bad thing as the Tello app's image stabilization tends to blur the video when the drone pitches to move forward or backwards.

Are these intentional or are there options to change these things in the aTello app settings that I may have missed?

Either way, kudos to you on a great app!

Reactions: qaab
Hello Krag,

Just tried your app.Works great ! The RTH feature seems to just work fine, even if not very accurate, but what I really like is the "no drop" of the video frames. This, with the lower video res, allows me to actually pilot the drone with the video feed, which the official app can't.

This is an awesomme job you did for the community !

My favorite changes would be :
- compatibility with the T1D (i don't want to buy another controller)
- set a trajectory/path for the tello (using tap-on-screen or another visual interface)

Thank you again and again, thank you for this (free;)) app !!!

Thanks a lot for this app. However, can you add an option to disable video feed? It might give extra juice of battery. As I am an indoor flyer, I don't need video feed. So is it possible?

Tested this with a wifi extender and controller, makes you almost too confident. (got to smooth video to about 100 meters)

i need to figure someway to fly so i can actually see the screen from sun glare, as at the distances that are possible with the wifi repeater you really dont see the tello anymore and have to rely on the image on the screen. (my eyes are not perfect, but i can see it up to like 60 meters or so, but no idea where its pointing, just a dot)

i need to build like cardboard box around my tablet, heh.

Also, i figured what the wind limit is, like if it's 5m/s wind, tello is at 30-45 degree angle constantly to hold it against the wind, it still CAN hold place, (you can see this angle in video) but cannot move against it at any sort of speed, so to steer agains the wind you will be even in fast mode going super slow.

Recomend you dont fly over 4-5m/s winds. at 5 it's scary and sideways just to stay still.

also if you fly in 4-5m/s winds you MUST know how to use the fast mode, the regular mode wont move the drone against the wind at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: qaab
Hi all, first things first: Big KUDOS to Krag for this excellent app.

I downloaded and tested version 0.96e, one Note3, one Note8, a wifi extender and a Moga Pro BT controller.

Notable observations:
  • on my note3 with stock rom the original App wont deliver proper video (just b&w with some artifacts). aTello video is flawless, just slightly wrong aspect ratio.
  • on my note8 the video feed appears squashed, because the 4:3 original feed is resized to fit the 18:9 screen. A preference to choose the aspect ratio might be nice.
  • The text-to-speech works nicely but the english text might come out very funny on a phone that does not have english set as TTS default.
  • Video stabilisation seems to be not as rock solid as with the orignal app but I need to further test this. Maybe it is just a subjective impression.
  • The Moga Pro controller works just nice \o/ and with sooo much less LAG than using octopus! Yay! Finally.
  • The "speed mode" key (R2) does not work as advertised with the Moga Pro (in HID mode). I need to activate that via touch screen.
  • The "select" button on the Moga Pro triggers a "back" button event in the phone.
  • When starting the Tello, the app seems to fire a strain of events as if all on-screen buttons have been touched several times, although they have not.
  • RTH works very nice. Superb implementation, given the available data. In about 50% of the cases it overshoots a bit (i.e. it goes back beyond the start point). In about 10% it seems the correct home direction gets lost after some flying around and it goes "back" the same distance but in a different direction (encountered this twice yet).
  • The visual lock function does not work yet at all for me.
Suggestions
  • I'd like to second the wish of other users to be able to define a sensitivity curve (or at least choose lin/log mode) for the controller sticks.
  • since RTH already indroduces some kind of track recordig to the app I'd like to suggest creating the possibility to record and play back a few arbitrary maneuvers of up to 30 or 60 seconds. And maybe the possibility to even save them. That would be such a HUGE advantage over the maneuver buttons on the original Tello app!
  • Improvement idea for the last one: Ability to pause and play back maneouvers in headless mode so you could still turn the Tello while it continues to follow its playback route. That way the drone could follow a predefined flying path while you concentrate on getting the correct angle for your videos or pictures! :)
Unfortunately I neither have Windows nor do I use M$ C-Sharp. Otherwise I would probably already get busy creating merge requests :)

Reactions: tuxevil and Krag
Hi,

I'm very happy with aTello app.

I can enjoy a fluent video into my three years old Samsung Galaxy A3. Ussing official app Tello it suffers a lot of dropped frames.

But... Is there any way to make Gamesir T1D controller works into aTello ?

I don`t want to buy another controller

Raul
------

Reactions: Pursuer
If someone figures out how to load T1s firmware on the T1d...
AFAIK, the two controllers are identical from a hardware point of view.

Try link for T1d Firmware upgrade tool on official GameSir websites "Tutorial: How to control RYZE DJI Tello drones with GameSir gamepads "
GameSir T1 Extended Edition appeared on GearBest - suitable for TELLO + iOS, Android etc., so maybe its over of T1s and T1d difference.

Just ordered Enhanced edition, need to wait for about 4 weeks.

Sorry, The T1d requires a proprietary SDK and that would prevent me uploading the code to Github.

Krag, If you have a T1D do you think it could be possible to sniff the BT packets between the Phone and the T1D when the Tello APP is open, identify the protocol that unlocks the T1D, and reproduce it in aTello app ? (like you guys did with the wi-fi packets to stream the video)

Hugh

Hai, why my pic become like this. The video is fine....once you want to share pic to someone cant see the pictures,. The persons who receive is fine. Pls help me. I'm using samsung s9. TqScreenshot_20180802-191814_Gallery.jpg

Hai, why my pic become like this. The video is fine....once you want to share pic to someone cant see the pictures,. The persons who receive is fine. Pls help me. I'm using samsung s9. TqView attachment 975
yep, that's a known problem on Samsung phones.

install "simple gallery" or another gallery app and they will be fine when viewed with that.

:)

Reactions: Dane
Well I couldn't wait for Gamesir to upgrade the T1D firmware so I just bought the Gamesir G3w ($15 on Amazon), I plugged it (wired only game controller) to my galaxy S7 and it worked out of the box with aTello.
I have now to find out how to (re)configure the joysticks/buttons in a manner more suitable for me.
Hugh

Used aTello app on my LG G4.

Works fine.

Recorded two videos and had a really hard time finding them. Then I took a screenshot of the quick message that popped up:

Used the File Manager app to find and copy the videos into a visible folder for viewing and offloading.

One thing I noticed is that the aTello app videos are 960x720 wheres the Tello app videos are 1280x720.

It also appears that aTello app videos do not have image stabilization. That's not necessarily a bad thing as the Tello app's image stabilization tends to blur the video when the drone pitches to move forward or backwards.

Are these intentional or are there options to change these things in the aTello app settings that I may have missed?

Either way, kudos to you on a great app!

I'm not too sure about how the app operates, but it's likely that the aTello app is using 'photo mode' for videos, which is the former resolution. The second resolution is 'video mode', but for some reason the aspect ratio squashes the video so that it sacrifices vertical visibility for horizontal.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv