Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

aTello (Android) Development Thread

Can you provide more info?

Curious if you needed to use the Octopus app.

Wondering if you had any disconnects. I need to return my controller (Parrot Flypad) because the controller would stop responding but still send the prior input to the drone (so if moving forward, it would continue until it crashed after the controller disconnected). Would happen after about 1-2 minutes. Any issues like that?

Also curious if you've noticed any lag on the controller movements.

I finally adapted myself to the commands and did not try to remap using a third party software (like octopus). I ha ve no lag/no disconnection, but this is what you can expect from a wired controller, no ?

I finally adapted myself to the commands and did not try to remap using a third party software (like octopus). I ha ve no lag/no disconnection, but this is what you can expect from a wired controller, no ?

Thanks for the response. I'm very tempted to buy the Gamesir G3w controller but I've read there might be hardware deadzones on the sticks.

Do you mind installing the app "Gamepad Tester" by elron and testing your controller?
It's free and mentioned in the first comment to this Reddit thread about the G3.

I am using an xbox otg controller setup. Rock Candy wired controller. Seems to work but right stick is not functioning at all. I have tried the controller on a game program and a flypad tester and it works fine. Any ideas on how I can get the right joystick to work?

Last edited:
I cannot install. Turned allow other sources in setting, download the apk, nothing but parse errors.

aTello and aTelloPilot are different and author is not same.
aTello is made by krag and aTelloPilot is made by me ;)
When I started to develope aTelloPilot, I also named it as aTello but I found aTello was used by krag in this forum. So I changed the name to aTelloPilot.
I am surprised to see the comment suspecting me and krag as same developer.:eek:

hello bluejune I ask you why the app does not develop even for IOS? operating system in which the tello flies much better? let me know?

hi where can I find the app atello on the store? I only find atellopilot give me the link? thank you

hi where can I find the app atello on the store? I only find atellopilot give me the link? thank you
Its not on store..its here...under developers thread.... Download the latest one look for version 0.96e ...and dont forget to thanks the creator KRAG.
Awesome,stable controller app...i use more than Atellopilot ....

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-08-18-09-22-45-0708208185.png
    Screenshot_2018-08-18-09-22-45-0708208185.png
    92.9 KB · Views: 21
Thanks for the response. I'm very tempted to buy the Gamesir G3w controller but I've read there might be hardware deadzones on the sticks.

Do you mind installing the app "Gamepad Tester" by elron and testing your controller?
It's free and mentioned in the first comment to this Reddit thread about the G3.

Ok I just tried it. Movements with the sticks both in X and Y axis might be too sensitive with the G3w compared to other controllers. It is possible to keep the pointer inside the squares and draw circles, but it is difficult, even slow movements tend to send the pointer hit the borders or the center lines. See my screenshot from "Gamepad Tester" bellow.
It does not affect the flight though, I still can do all the movements I want with my tello and I have no lag at all, I don't need such sensitivity in the controls to fly.

1535766192652.png

About aTello
aTello is an alternative to the stock Tello android app.

Installing the APK.

How to Install APK Files on Android: 12 Steps (with Pictures)

Instructions

1. Network status area. This bar will be RED if not connected to the Tello network. Tap to connect in that case.
  2. Takeoff/Land button
  3. Throw takeoff button
  4. Take picture button. Hold to switch to aspect ratio to 16x9. (not fully working yet)
  5. Show pictures. Not fully working.
  6. Settings. Joystick config and Jpeg quality.
  7. Joystick axis status (for debugging)
  8. Aircraft status area.

Joystick is currently supported for generic Android Bluetooth/OTG controllers and PS3 style controllers. Joystick type is selected in the settings page. If your joystick doesn't work First check to make sure it works on other Android apps. If it does then post an issue including your controller brand.

These are the button mappings on the controller for takeoff, land, take picture and speed mode.

Start (Hold) = Takeoff/Land.
Select (Hold) = Land.
R1 = Take Picture.
R2 = Speed mode.
L1 = Record.
R2+DPad = Flip

Features
<todo>

Todo
<todo>

Downloads
aTello download page

Release Notes

Version 0.96
Summary; This version should fix the problems when switching between pic and camera modes. It also includes a simple Return To Home function.

Return To Home:

There is a new Return to Home button in the UI and on the Joystick (Home button on PS3 and A button on Generic). Only works in environments with plenty of light. Use with caution.
  • Single tap will cancel autopilot.
  • Double tap will set home.
  • Long press will return to home.
  • Home or A button on the joystick works the same way (single, double and long).
  • It uses voice prompts to tell you the state of the autopilot. Turn up your volume.
  • An initial home point should be set as soon as the drone can see the ground well enough to pick up a fix.
  • The home point is only 2d so you need to take care of the height.
  • Moving the right stick will cancel autopilot.
  • It isn't always accurate and sometimes has trouble with swirling around the target. Especially in wind.
Version 0.95
Summary; This is the most stable version yet. I changed how connections are handled and there should be no more disconnects when the app pauses or goes into a menu screen.

Version 0.93
Summary; There are some important bug fixes in this version to make it a bit safer. But video is still not working right.

Notes
Video mode is still not working right. Basically switching video/picture modes messes things up and will eventually crash the app. Until I figure out why I recommend flying in picture mode. If do you want video mode I suggest you flip to it when you first connect and then leave it in that mode until you can rerun the app. If it works at the start it should be stable until you try to switch back to pic mode.

It seems to me I used to be able to task switch out of the aTello without disconnecting. But now I can't. From reading the docs it appears that the correct behavior is to loose connection and if it was working before it was a fluke. To fix that I need to rewrite a core part of the app as a service. That isn't simple and I expect will take some time.

Changes
  • When the app is paused or looses focus (like going into settings) it should zero the joysticks to keep the drone from flying in the last direction. Still be very careful. NOTE. If your joystick becomes disconnected it can still take several seconds for Android to realize it and for the sticks to zero. Make sure your joystick doesn't come unplugged when maneuvering. It happened to me once.
  • Moved the status bar to the top of the screen to make it easier to see when using the onscreen joysticks.
  • The VS indicator will now be green if in normal mode or red if in speed mode.
  • Added a Speed Mode lock. Press and hold the VS indicator in the status bar and it will turn red.
  • Prevent the settings screen from switching to portrait.
  • Prevent video conversion while flying.
  • Moved the video/picture mode switch to Holding the onscreen Record button instead of Picture. It makes more sense and allows for exposure bracketing on the picture button (HB is not working yet). I don't recommend using this button yet. See above.
Hi krag? any updates from Atello? thanks

Reactions: dako
If you could add a very basic tracker i would be so greatful, i prefer your app comparing to the tello one.

Reactions: Zeno
Hi Everyone. Sorry I have been away for a while. First I crashed my Tello for the last time in the begining of July. Poor thing. And I guess I just didn't have the heart to mess with it so I took a break. I apparently stopped getting email alerts on this threads so I didn't realize this thread was still going strong.

I'll go through the posts and try to reply to the questions/comments. And I will do a new release once I get a new Tello. I had hoped they would release the TelloEdu or Tello2 by now.

Hi Everyone. Sorry I have been away for a while. First I crashed my Tello for the last time in the begining of July. Poor thing. And I guess I just didn't have the heart to mess with it so I took a break. I apparently stopped getting email alerts on this threads so I didn't realize this thread was still going strong.

I'll go through the posts and try to reply to the questions/comments. And I will do a new release once I get a new Tello. I had hoped they would release the TelloEdu or Tello2 by now.
Seriously Krag, if you need money to buy a new Tello I suggest you open an online fundraising, I think a bunch of people will be willing to give you a few dollars to encourage you updating this awesome app, and I'm one of them.

Hugh

Thanks alot Krag wish you all the best

Reactions: dako

I got Tello edu is that same application you're taking?Screenshot_2018-09-06-10-07-07-0728851035.png

Yeah, I didn't know it came out as an app. At one point I thought it was going to be a new version of the Tello.

Seriously Krag, if you need money to buy a new Tello I suggest you open an online fundraising, ...

Thanks! But I already ordered a new one.

Reactions: Beire
Yeah, I didn't know it came out as an app. At one point I thought it was going to be a new version of the Tello.

Thanks! But I already ordered a new one.
It's really educational with story it's like a kids apps XD but very useful for basic flying and coding...
Coding work perfectly ,the virtual control not so precise like your Atello...
BTW I got Atellopilot also...but i don't use it as much of your Atello... reason! The virtual sticks aren't easy for virtual use.. unlike yours Atello work princely like the official Tello apps controller.

Thanks for the replis OP, cant wait to test another version when you get your new tello =)
best regards, and thanks for working on this, and making it free. =)

Hi, if my generic USB controller works with FPVFreerider is it save to assume it'll work with aTello? Can you re-assign axis to the controls? Like if I want mode 1 vs mode 2?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
97bugsinthecode