Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

aTello (Android) Development Thread

Hey Krag. Cool new RTH feature.

Does it use some form of dead reckoning? I didn't know the Tello had an onboard compass.

Edit: Seems like you're reading position directly from the Tello log packets. How did you figure out the format of the log?

Last edited:
Hi,
Can you explain me which advantages I will find using this app instead of the official one?
Suggested settings for best video quality with less frame drop?
Thank You

Depends of your phone, in my case samsung s4 does not record video.

And wired controller with otg adapter are plug n play (usb xbox 360 cost me 8$CAD on gearbest VS 50$CAD for the G1t and I don't have the bluetooth interference problem)

Hi,
Can you explain me which advantages I will find using this app instead of the official one?
A good question. I made a list:
  • Use any android compatible joystick
  • Better joystick control (speed mode on a button for example)
  • Fly up to 30m height
  • Numeric values for battery and WiFi
  • Quicker startup and connection
  • Speech prompts and warnings
  • No prompts on takeoff and landing
  • Record video and take pictures at the same time
  • Record 4:3 video
  • Video shows partial corrupt frame rather than black on lost data.
  • More video options (iFrame rate etc)
  • Option to cache video
  • Return to Home
  • Better telemetry
  • No reporting back of data (at least serial number) to China.
  • Open source
  • Ongoing development

• Fly up to 30m height
  • Option to cache video
  • Return to Home
  • Better telemetry
  • Open source
  • Ongoing development

Very interesting..I'll test it tomorrow.
Can you explain me these options and how to use it?
- Cache video;
- Video bit rate;
- Video iFrame rate;
- Convert video.

Sorry if my questions are stupid, but I'm a newbie at the first experience with a drone
Thank You very much.

Very interesting..I'll test it tomorrow.
Can you explain me these options and how to use it?
- Cache video;
- Video bit rate;
- Video iFrame rate;
- Convert video.

Sorry if my questions are stupid, but I'm a newbie at the first experience with a drone
Thank You very much.
Cache video means it is recording video constantly in the background.

Convert video. The videos atello records are in h264 video format. This function changes them to Mp4 so other apps can view them.

Video bit rate is basically the quality of them video. The higher the number, the better quality, but means more data is sent from tello to phone.

iFrame is a more technical setting about how intermediate frames within the video are handled. Basically it gives you more control over file quality/size

(I think)

• Fly up to 30m height
  • Option to cache video
  • Return to Home
  • Better telemetry
  • Open source
  • Ongoing development
Thanks a lot for your developments ! Is the video quality issue is fixed in that version ?

Cache video means it is recording video constantly in the background.

Convert video. The videos atello records are in h264 video format. This function changes them to Mp4 so other apps can view them.

Video bit rate is basically the quality of them video. The higher the number, the better quality, but means more data is sent from tello to phone.

iFrame is a more technical setting about how intermediate frames within the video are handled. Basically it gives you more control over file quality/size

(I think)

So with iFrame We can choose fps..I need some test for evaluate which option is better for my Honor 8..

Sorry but Cache Video isn't clear for me: ok, with this option app records video in background..but how can I use these videos? Why I need to use it? What are differences between cache videos and standard recorded videos?

Thank you

Thanks a lot for your developments ! Is the video quality issue is fixed in that version ?
No I haven't done anything to improve the quality. I don't actually know if there is a problem. As far as I can tell I am doing everything the same way as the official app and the video quality should be the same.

So with iFrame We can choose fps..I need some test for evaluate which option is better for my Honor 8..
Sorry but Cache Video isn't clear for me: ok, with this option app records video in background..but how can I use these videos? Why I need to use it? What are differences between cache videos and standard recorded videos?

iFrame would only adjust how fast it recovers from errors. Cache is just because I don't always remember to press record. There is no other difference other than the videos are stored in a cache\ folder on disk.

iFrame would only adjust how fast it recovers from errors. Cache is just because I don't always remember to press record. There is no other difference other than the videos are stored in a cache\ folder on disk.

Can You suggest me best value for iFrame?
This morning I did some tests, changing bitrate: Auto isn't a good option for me, quality is very low..4M is very good, but only if I take Tello near me..probably best option is something between..I will try soon with 2M and 3M.

Now I'm trying to convert video file, but without result: I select a file but nothing happen. I do something wrong?

Thank you so much for your work and patience. You're doing a fantastic job for our community ;)

hello,
thanks for the aTello app... i am a tello beginner...
standard tello app does not work well on my motorola g2... videofile is more grayscale with magenta, green artifacts and ghosts...
was a little bit disappointed ... the jpg photos were fine...

but with your app... ALL is fine ... it runs on my nexus 7 (2012) and motorola g2

found one thing. the drone was not connected. i was selecting the setting button.. and there was a message like atello app crashed..
setting button is working with tello connected.. not a big deal...

whatever... i like your app... is makes the tello experience even better... great work.

Can You suggest me best value for iFrame?
Now I'm trying to convert video file, but without result: I select a file but nothing happen. I do something wrong?
Whatever it is set to by default. Changing the iFrame wont make any difference on quality, just how fast it recovers from errors.

Just use the Convert All button. Then look for the videos in the aTello folder on your android.

Please, could you implement support for Gamesir T1d Joystick?
Sorry, The T1d requires a proprietary SDK and that would prevent me uploading the code to Github.

found one thing. the drone was not connected. i was selecting the setting button.. and there was a message like atello app crashed..
setting button is working with tello connected.. not a big deal...

I don't get this crash. Does anyone else?

Reactions: Beire
Shame about the Gamesir T1d Joystick but on the other hand -> superb job so far.

Am going to buy a Xbox360 Bluetooth controller as this is supported in you'r app?

Shame about the Gamesir T1d Joystick but on the other hand -> superb job so far.

Am going to buy a Xbox360 Bluetooth controller as this is supported in you'r app?
If your phone supports it yes. Lots do. Samsung does not. Ps3 joysticks usually seem to work though.

Reactions: Beire
If your phone supports it yes. Lots do. Samsung does not. Ps3 joysticks usually seem to work though.

Okay, Thanks for the fast response.

I use a Samsung so better look for another type of phone or Joystick then...

==Beire checking the web for a suitable Ps3 Joystick... ;-)

Hello ,
Last aTello version works good on my Motorola G5 with the joystick Gamesir G3w ( connected directly with its micro USB cable to the G5). The joystick is recognized as generic joystick. Because to OTG port there's no lag in the keys response ?
Thank you Krag for your wonderful software ???

So I have it all working now -- Gamesir G4s, wifi extender.

I will say my preferred solution is aTello with Gamesir G4s connected using OTG. Takes bluetooth out of the equation and I love the video cache because I always forget to record. The only exception is if I want to wear the daydream for a more immersive FPV.

Below is a re-post about getting the Gamesire G4s working with the Tello app.

I still have the goofiness with wifi extender -- I have to connect directly to the Tello first until it flashes "connected" at the bottom of the wifi settings screen, then I can connect to the wifi extender.

------------------------ Getting Gamesir G4s connected to Tello app on android, what worked for me:
Using android Pixel 2, I just now got my gamesir G4S working with the official Tello app.
It hasn't worked except for in the alternative "aTello" app or with the gamesir device remapping thing. Anyway, I broke down and got the gamesir T1d... but it didn't work either! This solved it for both.

The key tip for me was NOT PAIRING IT IN THE PHONE'S BLUETOOTH SETTINGS. The Tello App does the pairing.

1) uninstall Tello app
2) in bluetooth "forget" the gamesir-G4S (if you had it connected from within the phone's bluetooth settings)
3) reboot phone
4) install Tello app - accept permissions(for me they disappeared too quickly on the install so did step 6) below)
5) make sure bluetooth is on -- but do not try to do anything in the bluetooth settings
6) go to settings -> "Apps & Notifications" -> Tello app accept permissions (Storage and Location)
7) Power-on the gamesir
8) open Tello app -> Settings -> Bluetooth controller - click on the gamesir
go to main screen and the on-screen joysticks will be gone.

Anway, you don't need to turn the Tello itself on to get the paring done and see that it works.

After all that initial pairing ordeal, it works super quickly - I can go to the Tello App's "bluetooth controller setup" screen, turn on the gamesir, and it shows up in seconds. Still have to tap it to get it connected, but this just takes a second.

Wiz

[/QUOTE]
A new version (0.96) is up. This version should fix the problems when switching between pic and camera modes. It also includes a simple Return To Home function.

aTello download page

Return To Home:

There is a new Return to Home button in the UI and on the Joystick (Home button on PS3 and A button on Generic). Only works in environments with plenty of light. Use with caution.
  • Single tap will cancel autopilot.
  • Double tap will set home.
  • Long press will return to home.
  • Home or A button on the joystick works the same way (single, double and long).
  • It uses voice prompts to tell you the state of the autopilot. Turn up your volume.
  • An initial home point should be set as soon as the drone can see the ground well enough to pick up a fix.
  • The home point is only 2d so you need to take care of the height.
  • Moving the right stick will cancel autopilot.
  • It isn't always accurate and sometimes has trouble with swirling around the target. Especially in wind.
  • You can still turn and change height with the left stick while on autopilot. NOTE. changing directions while on autopilot can throw the autopilots flight off a little bit. Be careful.
Hi. I can confirm the fix of switching problems between pic and cam mode. Very nice too is the RTH function.
Want to try now using the gamesir t1d with otg cable on Samsung S7 to minimize lost frames in case of wifi interferences. I think using wifi and bluetooth at same time could not be the optimal way to control the tello. Will try it with and without xiaomi wifi extender to compare.

VR mode like in stock app would be great.

Great job so far - keep going on :)

Reactions: Krag

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv