Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Best Tello WiFi extender

Eleveneleveneleven

Reaction score
I have a tello with a gamevice controller for iPad mini plus a Xiaomi Mi extender (see Photo’s). The setup works great and I estimate the controllable distance is 4x the non-repeater distance. The problem is that the repeater appears to need an ac outlet which I luckily have with an inverter on my power brick. What have others found to be the BEST extender. Do they require AC power to operate?7A0F58F7-2F2D-4A25-BE67-97B039DF9D11.png5A298FF4-1321-44EB-8027-37DA4C41A90E.png5A298FF4-1321-44EB-8027-37DA4C41A90E.png

I'm running a xaomi Wi-Fi extender plugged into the OTG adapter that came with my Samsung S8. No need for external power :)
I am having all kinds of issues trying to get this extender to link up to my android can you render some assistance? I have tried multiple youtube apptoaches.

I am having all kinds of issues trying to get this extender to link up to my android can you render some assistance? I have tried multiple youtube apptoaches.
There are some instructions on the forum, for me the app showed an error (I guess because the Tello has no internet connection) but I was able to ignore that and it connected to the Tello and appeared to work fine, haven't had a chance to test out the range of it yet though from what I heard it's about double.
From memory it goes something like this - you need the Mi Home app, set your location to "Other" or the extender won't show up as a supported device. Power the extender and it should be detected by the app when you try to add it, follow the instructions to set it up, it should ask you what wifi network to use at some point, then it goes through a rather long automatic setup, for me during this part the phone would first connect to the extender, then disconnect from it and connect back to the Tello directly, and then eventually the app would show an error, but the LED on the extender showed that everything was OK (green LED if I remember correctly, means it's connected to the hotspot), so I connected to it manually after all that and it worked. Some people have said you can't use a password but that seems to be false. However, if you change the wifi password in the Tello app while it's connected to the extender it seems to screw things up and some people have had to reset their Tello back to factory settings to be able to connect to it again. I might be forgetting something important, but that's the gist of it.

Reactions: Dragonlord1964
I am using exactly same setup, mi repeater 2 plugged via OTG to Samsung S8+, Works flawlessly

I'm glad it works for you, but take into account your Tello could get further range when you pull apart phone and wifi repeater five or ten meters.

Explanation is that repeater has to connect wirelessly to both devices, mobile phone and Tello. If repeater is too close to any of them, wireless communication with the other is poor because signal is swamped.

At least that's my experience ;)

Raul

iPhone 8, Xiaomi repeater 2, poweradd usb power pack and gamesir t1d. Took pic at 30m height, lag okay and Tello controllable. Without extender can get to 15m or so before fpv starts to freeze and I get a WiFi range warning.
Pain to set up initially (Xiaomi repeater) but well worth the effort as can take the Tello to its max height now.

Attachments

• 22C73B8A-7088-4AB4-BBC5-153464FEEF8D.jpeg
    22C73B8A-7088-4AB4-BBC5-153464FEEF8D.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 70
iPhone 8, Xiaomi repeater 2, poweradd usb power pack and gamesir t1d. Took pic at 30m height, lag okay and Tello controllable. Without extender can get to 15m or so before fpv starts to freeze and I get a WiFi range warning.
Pain to set up initially (Xiaomi repeater) but well worth the effort as can take the Tello to its max height now.
Second this. With the Xiaomi range extender, makes flying so much safer and responsive with bluetooth controller, video frames drop less and longer ranges. Well worth the money.

Reactions: manateetello
Second this. With the Xiaomi range extender, makes flying so much safer and responsive with bluetooth controller, video frames drop less and longer ranges. Well worth the money.
And I third this! ?Ansia knows what he is talking about. ?

The key is to keep the repeater off the ground, even 30cm makes a difference.

I’ve tried a few repeaters, the Xiaomi one is the best for buck.

Cheers,
ph2t.

Question on the Xiaomi repeater 2 that I haven't seen definitively addressed yet: once you set it up, does it retain the settings even when unplugged from a power source?

Don´t worry. You only have to do configuration once and it retains settings forever.

In fact, after config I froze Xiaomi Mi app as Wifi extender keeps working the same.

android freeze apps.jpg

I supose you can even uninstall Xiaomi app as people says it asks for too many permissions.

Last edited:
Can you set it up without the Xiaomi app?
Just got my Mi 2 repeater a couple of days ago. Pain to setup but works great once you get it going. As far as I know you need to set it up with the Xiami app. You need the app to clone the Tello WiFi to the repeater and without the app there is no way to clone the Tello WiFi.

Chris

Reactions: WhatUserName
Trying (my second) Mi repeater. This one shows the progress circle, gets to 100% but the orange light continues blinking. I haven't gotten it past this point.

I had lots of trouble setting mine up when I got it. I used this Utube video and it worked right away.

The key is to set the region to China or another Asian country - Singapore is used in video, so the Mi 2 repeater is listed and can be chosen. Then you can go ahead and clone the Tello’s WiFi to the Repeater.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Reactions: WhatUserName

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv