Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Cheapest Old Android Phone that Works with Tello?

cmeflydrones

Reaction score
I’m an iOS user and know almost nothing about Android phones but would like to play around with the FPV app for Tello. What would be the the cheapest phone I could buy on eBay that would work with Tello? If I can connect to WiFi would there be no need for cell service to download the app? Thanks in advance for any help.

Most mid-range devices of the last 5 years should do the trick, just stay clear of budget phones (too slow, too little RAM, weak wifi)

minimum android version is 5.0, and wifi only is OK, no need for cell data. Which opens up the world of "defective devices" on ebay, there are plenty of devices with broken SIM card slots, defective IMEI, broken speaker or mic, home button, ...

If you want the cheapest with decent quality: Get an S4 (with a few matching defects about 10-15 €). If you are thinking about VR I'd suggest the S6, should be around 20-25€ (again with defects).

The phone should be in working condition for: Wifi, Display, and all sensors (camera, GPS, compass, barometer, etc).

Reactions: Domikk
I got my Huawei P8lite and stock app works better than on iOS iPhone X. Today I think I will buy Tello FPV app and we will see how it will work

Do not buy S6... I used it with Tello and it's full of lag and frame skipping. Same with S9 plus. I suggest to buy a cheap IOS device

I know TelloFpv works OK on the S6, as on all other mid--range phones of the last five years. OK, there is always exceptions, about 1 in 1500 phones seems to have troubles (most often power saving, anti virus, rooted with modifications, custom ROM, etc).

However I also know that IOS users are spoiled with much better video reception, especially with Bluetooth controllers. As long as you switch off bluetooth it should be fine.

There is only so much an app can do about this, as the root cause is located much deeper in the Android system (its either in the wifi drivers, or even in the hardware).
So as much as I feel honored that people switch to Android just for TelloFpv I feel they might probably be disappointed to see that this somewhat "hyped super-app" barely achieves what IOS users get out of the box.

Reactions: Domikk
I'm using a Huawei p smart. After the last update video quality is remarkably better even with a shinecon Bluetooth controller I borrowed(permanently now) from my daughter. No wifi repeater yet and I don't know if the angle at which the controller hold the phone helps but I have better wifi reception in the controller than in my hands.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190328-121533.jpg
    Screenshot_20190328-121533.jpg
    473.7 KB · Views: 13
I'm using a Huawei p smart. After the last update video quality is remarkably better even with a shinecon Bluetooth controller I borrowed(permanently now) from my daughter. No wifi repeater yet and I don't know if the angle at which the controller hold the phone helps but I have better wifi reception in the controller than in my hands.
Most likely it helps that your fingers are not in the way of the wifi antenna. Human bodies are mostly water, and wifi signals don't penetrate water that easily.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv