Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Does this seem like excessive vibration to you?

Londroner

Reaction score
Got a chance to fly my Tello outside today. Weather conditions almost perfect. Sunny, warm, with a light breeze. However, when I checked the video it seemed my drone was being buffeted around in a hurricane. I've watched quite a few Tello videos and they all seem to offer a much more stable image than this. I'd appreciate your thoughts on my test video. Does the vibration seem excessive? Is image stabilisation working? I'm well aware of the video limitations of the Tello but this doesn't seem to be the result of dropped frames or poor resolution.

I'd be grateful for your input.

Londroner, were you in fast or slow speed? Some people have reported when they are in fast mode the video gets choppy and pixels sometimes. If it was a little windy that could have caused it to seem less stable than usual with tello trying to center its self.

Londroner, were you in fast or slow speed? Some people have reported when they are in fast mode the video gets choppy and pixels sometimes. If it was a little windy that could have caused it to seem less stable than usual with tello trying to center its self.
No, running in Slow. I checked.

Update. I've since been informed that the Tello produces shaky video in even the lightest breezes, increasing to the infamous 'jello effect' (or jelly - I'm British!) is high winds. So stable outdoor videos are almost impossible unless you have a flat calm day with not a breath of wind. Guess you can't ask much more from a tiny, 90gram drone.

If you haven't done it yet, take some pictures and download them. The tello takes some great pictures for such a small drone! I think you will be pleasantly surprised! As others have posted, hopefully the Tello 2 will have an sd card slot to download live video, it will really improve the quality instead of the wifi connection.

Update. I've since been informed that the Tello produces shaky video in even the lightest breezes, increasing to the infamous 'jello effect' (or jelly - I'm British!) is high winds. So stable outdoor videos are almost impossible unless you have a flat calm day with not a breath of wind. Guess you can't ask much more from a tiny, 90gram drone.
what Phone are you connected via?
if you open the video in google photos (on android) and click stabilise, it will do absolute wonders :D

Reactions: RMN4A0
what Phone are you connected via?
if you open the video in google photos (on android) and click stabilise, it will do absolute wonders :D
Thanks, potentially great tip but I'm on iOS and it doesn't seem to be supported in the browser version either. :(

Phone used for connection - iPhone 6 Plus.

If you haven't done it yet, take some pictures and download them. The tello takes some great pictures for such a small drone! I think you will be pleasantly surprised! As others have posted, hopefully the Tello 2 will have an sd card slot to download live video, it will really improve the quality instead of the wifi connection.
Yes, done that and agree. One of the main selling points of the Tello for me was it could be used as a flying 'snapshot' camera. I never really planned to do a lot of video work with it, I was just surprised at the quality of the video when I did.

I would say that footage is a more shaky than the normal, I filmed at a beach the other day as it was pretty stable (obviously no where near with a gimbal). Had a bit of a beach breeze but it held its own.

Are you flying with prop guards outside by any chance?
Prop guards are like sails when it comes to outdoor flying.

That doesn't look normal to me: I've flown in significant winds and never had shaking like that. It looks to me like the image stabilizer isn't working. I'd return it for another.

That has more shake than normal. You may want to try flying over a different area as well. Nice even grass may give the positioning camera a little trouble locking onto something?

Looks a bit more shaky than normal. For all of my production ready video's I upload them to Google Photo and use the excellent Stabilize function.

Londroner, before taking the video, did you by any chance take a photo or two? I have two Tellos, both do the same thing. I take off, stabilization works perfect (in slow mode... Stabilization definitely off in fast mode).. Then when I take a photo, after it's done processing the capture, the screen immediately gets the shakes. Have sent mails back and forth and have been told this will be addressed. Try taking footage in slow mode right after take off, without having taken a photo. The fact that I have two Tellos, bought from different places, and have the same issue with a galaxy s7, galaxy S9, and iPhone 8plus... Tells me a firmware upgrade would be required...

Check the link below showing what mine does after a photo is taken...
Also notice how smooth it is before taking the photo (yours should be the same...)

20180505_101422.mp4

Reactions: jvangurp
WOW!!! Mike_ Thank You! I am referring to your suggestion on using the Google photo stabilization function!! It is indeed excellent!! I had a video just as shaky as Londroner's (after taking a photo, my issue as per above) and once the stabilization function completed it was basically perfect!! Had no idea this could be done on a phone!!

Any update on this issue? Stable until I take a photo and then unstable right after... but if I turn tello off and back on its perfect again until I take a photo.

It’s September 2020 and as a new Tello owner I have noticed this extract same problem. The shakiness only happens when switching between video and photo mode midflight. If I takeoff with video running it remains steady and stable with electronic image stabilization. It’s only when I switch modes while flying that the video becomes unusably shaky. Ryze technical support just ends up sending a canned reply about phone compatibility, yada yada.

Londroner, before taking the video, did you by any chance take a photo or two? I have two Tellos, both do the same thing. I take off, stabilization works perfect (in slow mode... Stabilization definitely off in fast mode).. Then when I take a photo, after it's done processing the capture, the screen immediately gets the shakes. Have sent mails back and forth and have been told this will be addressed. Try taking footage in slow mode right after take off, without having taken a photo. The fact that I have two Tellos, bought from different places, and have the same issue with a galaxy s7, galaxy S9, and iPhone 8plus... Tells me a firmware upgrade would be required...

Check the link below showing what mine does after a photo is taken...
Also notice how smooth it is before taking the photo (yours should be the same...)

20180505_101422.mp4

That’s a perfect and clear illustration of the issue. That’s a perfect and clear illustration of the issue. Ryze either doesn’t get it or they don’t care or they’re just trying to put people off.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv