Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Firmware update on the tello EDU?

martinpi

Reaction score
Website
martinpi.at
I luckily upgraded to a Tello EDU, i.e. the retailer took my Tello back (reluctantly) and sold me an EDU.

Arriving at home, trouble began when I tried to start it for the first time.

Tello FPV issued an error message that I need to authorize the Tello with the original app (why?), aTelloPilot did not give an error message but tello simply did not takeoff.
On first use, you need the original tello app.
OK, start the original tello app.
Not so easy, because my cellphone upgraded itself to Android 10, and the original tello app does not run on Android 10.
Luckily I had installed Bluestacks 4.0 (an Android emulator) on the PC.
So I started the tello app, and all was fine.

If you happen to live in Vienna and bought the Tello which was mine, and your device is at Android 10, you have avoided this part of trouble.
You got an already authorized Tello with updated firmware.

So I tried the SDK by running Tello3.py.
The command "sdk?" yielded "20", so it was basically OK.
The program worked so far, but unreliable. Sometimes I got answers after issueing a command, sometimes not.
Tello frequently powered off and I hat to power on again and reconnect.
The EDU seems to overheat when it is simply parked on the ground, the normal Tello did not do that.

Browsing through the forum, I found that some people had updated the firmware to solve similar problems.
So, update the firmware. Again, with the tello app on Bluestacks.

The firmware which is currently loaded is 02.04.82.01.

The update procedure went fine until roughly 65%, then slower, and hang at 99%.
Tello got hot and hotter and I tried to cool it by waving a piece of paper in front of it. Finally after roughly 10 minutes the red LED turned on solid.
I was not able to switch tello off, so I removed the battery.

Let tello cool off and switched on again.
I was relieved to find that tello powered up.
Opened tello app again and got the message "New firmware detected. Upgrade now".
Clicked on the arrow next to the message and got:
"Note:
Date: 2019.05.16 Aircraft Firmware:v01.04.91.01 What's New? Optimized aircraft performance. Notes: Do not power off the aircraft during the firmware update. Restart the aircraft once the firmwareupdate is complete. If the firmwate update fails, restart the aircraft and the Tello app, and retry. "

I do not know if is actually newer than 02.04.82.01.

I tried again, with the same result.

The firmware is still at 02.04.82.01.
Maybe v01.04.91.01 is for the normal Tello and I was lucky that it did not install.

Well, I am happy so far, but sooner or later I should update the firmware.

The EDU seems to overheat when it is simply parked on the ground, the normal Tello did not do that.

If the Tello is on the ground and the propellers are not running, it will overheat and switch off. Because the Tello needs the wind of the propellers to cool down. This is also by the normal Tello.
I recomment putting the Tello on a fan like a CPU cooler while updating or change configurations.

screenshot_with_tello.jpg

screenshot_without_tello.jpg

tello fan by martinpi

Kühlen Kopter bewahren

Reactions: Flydrone

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karlyan