Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Firmware update

Budgie

Reaction score
Hi There,
I will be receiving my Tello very soon and I need to ask this question. Should I update the Tello's firmware when prompted to do so? From reading in the forum, a lot of comments are mentioned about the Tello not being able to do the functions it was capable of doing prior the update, is it due to the phone of the owner? I have a Galaxy S9+ should I be concerned at all? Or perhaps it is in preparation for TelloFPV app or the EDU app.

Your Thoughts

I'm on IOS and updated the firmware frequently. The latest update improved performance of my Tello by a lot!

Just be carefull when doing it. Make sure that your Tello has a full battery and isn't warm/hot. When idle the Tello can overheat easily so just perform the update in a cool area right after switching it on. Than just stand back and don't do a thing while the update is being performed.

Reactions: Gorbachev
@Budgie,

You have to make a decission. Each firmware version have their pros and cons. Take into account once you update firmware there is no turning back (for the moment)

My current Tello stays into an old firmware version v01.03.33.01 (released 03/05/2018). I know I'm loosing some fly optimizations, but I like I can squeez battery up to 1%. That way recently I got an incredible 13:53 minutes in the air. Newer firmwares force landing about 10% battery left.

I noticed better control response when flying low altitude too. Newer firmwares reduce maneuvering during takeoff and landing and a gust of wind can end in disaster.

tellofpv max time.jpg

As said, it's your decission, but remember "if it works, do not fix it"

Raul.

Last edited:
I'm still into old firmware v01.03.33.01 (released 03/05/2018) but I noticed an annoying VPS bug already fixed into newer firmwares. When "VPS Unavailable" mesage is triggered Tello starts an Autolanding maneouver I'm not able to stop. You can ran into a very dangerous situation when flying far away. Only fix is keep gas stick pushed up and try to return home as quick as you can.

It's not a very frequent problem, but really annoying

Raul.

Reactions: Gorbachev
For your information, this is a little compilation of Tello firmwares history

v01.03.01.03¿ initial firmware ?
v01.03.18.01 20/03/2018Optimized Throw & Go performance. Optimized 8D Flips performance. Improved wind resistance performance. Optimized video transmission performance. Optimized user experience when using with GameSir T1D Bluetooth controller.
v01.03.33.01 03/05/2018Optimized aircraft performance after a collision. Motors will now stop when the threshold is triggered. Added additional tips in the app for aircraft calibration. Optimized user experience when using with GameSir T1D Bluetooth controller. PROS: LONGER FLIGHTS USING BATTERIES UP TO 1% AND BETTER ATTITUDE CONTROL AT LOW ALTITUDE. CONS: UNABLE TO CANCEL VPS AUTOLANDING
v01.04.35.01 16/08/2018Increased maximum flight altitude to 30 m
v01.04.78.01 11/12/2018Increased the hover accuracy for auto takeoff. Added support for Swift Playgrounds.
v01.04.88.01 28/03/2019Optimized aircraft performance.

Last edited:
For your information, this is a little compilation of Tello firmwares history
Thank you for that Raul, very useful info!

I'm on v01.04.35.01 and can't decide whether to update to current or not - just don't know for sure if there are any drawbacks to the later releases?

Do your current firmware let you squeeze battery up to 1% and plenty control of drone at low altitude ?

They are the only reason to stay into old firmwares. If you losted this features I would recommend you to update firmware.

VERY IMPORTAN I beg you making a backup of your current v01.04.35.01 firmware prior to update. I would greatly appreciate if you shared it with me ;)

You only have to use a File Explorer app into your smartphone and copy to yor computer all files from this two folders: android/data/com.ryzerobotics.tello/firmware/ and android/data/com.ryzerobotics.tello/fw_config/

Surely it will be a 7Mb .sig file and a much smaller .xml file

Thanks.

Raul.

I would greatly appreciate if you shared it with me ;)
I'll be very glad to do that, you've contributed so much to my understanding and enjoyment of Tello!

I found the files on my tablet, but I'll have to wait until after work. I don't have a DropBox account or any other online storage, how would you like me to get them to you? PM me your email address if you'd like to do it that way.

Reactions: raulvolador
Thanks a lot for testing :)

Remember, your Tello will warn you about low battery and try to land by itself. You must keep gas stick up for cancel autolanding and try to deplet battery up to 1%

Good luck !

Good luck !

Good afternoon there Raul. I did the test this morning.

FW v01.04.35.01
TelloFPV app v1.14c with Low Battery threshold set to 15%

At 15% TelloFPV beeped and Tello started landing, I pushed up on the throttle and autoland was cancelled.
At 10% I got an on-screen low battery warning, Tello started landing again, I throttled up and it cancelled for a minute or so.
At 9% it commenced to autoland, throttle up couldn't stop it.

I don't know but I'd guess that's to keep from harming the battery by repeatedly draining it down too low?

I didn't, but wish I'd timed it from 15 to 9% just so i'd know how long I had to get to a safe landing spot... but I started with a partially discharged battery this morning after flying a while last night, so the time might not have been accurate anyway.

Thanks for all you do, and then report here, very helpful

At 10% I got an on-screen low battery warning, Tello started landing again, I throttled up and it cancelled for a minute or so.
now that I think about it, it may or may not have been a full minute. I'll do it a few times again later, wife has me doing work in her flowerbeds right now... pleasant temps and little wind - I should be flying right now! :cool:

Excellent work (y)

Very interesting test results.
It's clear your firmware v01.04.35.01 Ryze decided to change battery management.

I will stay at my current firmware, but if I were you I would update to get ride of VPS autolanding failures.

All the best and thanks again.

Raul

For your information, my old firmware v01.03.33.01 (released 03/05/2018) is giving me a lot of VPS failures and uncancellable autolandings.

I decided to upgrade to latest firmware and lose battery management and better control at low altitude.

Raul.

ryze says it fixes a bug in the previous firmware. it would be interesting to have more info ...
this is what I understood talking via chat with ryze technical support ...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv