Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Flying over drop offs

4x4

Reaction score
Has anyone had experience with the tello flying over a big drop off like say off a balcony?

Yes. No problem if you just fly in or out.

But if you use this to trick Tello into exceeding its altitude limit be prepared for nasty reactions. Staggering like a drunk, doing violent toilet bows, jerky motions. VPS isn't capable of adjusting to these altitudes.

Reactions: gmarn
Great thanks I don't think I will be trying it.

Has anyone had experience with the tello flying over a big drop off like say off a balcony?

I used to do that quite often. My apartment is about 10 meters above the ground.

But after one of the last firmware updates the Tello slow down when flying around 1 meter above something, so when I was returning it and right when it was entering through the window it slowed a bit and it drifted to the side and bumped on the window frame. The stupid firmware shut down the motors and my Tello fell to the ground.

Damage report: a bent motor shaft!

I straighten it and my Tello is still flying.

Reactions: gmarn and jont37
The main problem is that Tello has a firmware feature that makes it slow / sluggish (safe?) when flying low. Below 2m altitude it starts to reduce pitch&roll and at ground level its barely maneuverable.
If you fly from a balcony it won't adjust its altitude measuring, so anytmie you fly below 2m of your balcony it will behave sluggish.

I usually solve this by flying out the window, landing somewhere and taking off again to reset the altitude.

The main problem is that Tello has a firmware feature that makes it slow / sluggish (safe?) when flying low. Below 2m altitude it starts to reduce pitch&roll and at ground level its barely maneuverable.
If you fly from a balcony it won't adjust its altitude measuring, so anytmie you fly below 2m of your balcony it will behave sluggish.

I usually solve this by flying out the window, landing somewhere and taking off again to reset the altitude.

Not only that. The VPS also plays its part.

Do some tests and you'll see.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv