Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Fog During Sunset

Chrislaf

Reaction score
Here's a 6 image pano I took last Saturday of the fog rolling in over the lake during sunset. The shot is looking opposite the sunset. It had been raining all day and then the sun came out in the evening just before sunset. The fog was at ground level and not very high as the top of many trees, buildings and structures were in clear skies with no fog. It came in so quickly that when I took off there was no fog but when I landed about 5 minutes later I was getting constant VPS errors due to lack of light. My Tello case was coated in moisture along with the Tello.

I had previously had my Spark up and although it would have taken better shots, I did not want to chance it due to the many reports of the VPS on the Spark getting confused and thinking that the top of fog is the ground and having difficulty getting it down.

Chris

Here's a 6 image pano I took last Saturday of the fog rolling in over the lake during sunset. The shot is looking opposite the sunset. It had been raining all day and then the sun came out in the evening just before sunset. The fog was at ground level and not very high as the top of many trees, buildings and structures were in clear skies with no fog. It came in so quickly that when I took off there was no fog but when I landed about 5 minutes later I was getting constant VPS errors due to lack of light. My Tello case was coated in moisture along with the Tello.

I had previously had my Spark up and although it would have taken better shots, I did not want to chance it due to the many reports of the VPS on the Spark getting confused and thinking that the top of fog is the ground and having difficulty getting it down.

View attachment 4052

Chris
Had a crash with my Spark because of fog... VPS failed, initiated 'forced landing', came down at about full descent speed, clipped a fence and well.... Ended up with a cracked camera lens :(.

Had a crash with my Spark because of fog... VPS failed, initiated 'forced landing', came down at about full descent speed, clipped a fence and well.... Ended up with a cracked camera lens :(.
Sorry about your Spark. Hopefully you had the refresh insurance and got it repaired or replaced.

On that night, I had had my Spark up taking pictures of the sunset and the fog in the distance. When I landed to swap the battery, the fog was moving in quickly and I didn't want to take a chance with my Spark, even though I have the Refresh Plus insurance. I launched my Tello instead and got some of the shots I wanted.

That's what I love about the Tello - it's quick and easy to get in the air and if I crash it, I'm not out $500CAN. It's perfect for riskier shots like this one that could cause havoc with more expensive drones. Although, I do have a Phantom 3 Standard and it does not have any VPS sensors, by the time I got it out, spun the props on and got it airborne, the shot would have been long over by then.

Chris

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
philipp.weisser@ksehingen