Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

fpv cam and vtx mod using betafpv H01 vtx & cam

ph2t

Reaction score
Have made a little fpv oriented mod.?

I have installed the betafpv AIO(all in one) camera and 5.8ghz TX module.

I ran a seperate power connector through some spare space around the tello camera. This way I can swap out tello covers. I can have a stock tello cover on - the power socket sits in a space within the chassis. Cool!

E4047064-4B46-4EFB-B5DF-1E6EE1F8E77B.jpegF477EF5E-9768-458C-9F3D-BFFEE359CFA9.jpeg

I used smaller props so they don’t hit the camera. The red prop is a tello prop. The black is a King Kong prop off eBay.(sorry Ansia lol)

408355B3-26F0-4FDF-AD5B-0B8E28930BB3.jpeg

I used a hacked tello cover as the base for the camera mount. The smaller props allow me to have the camera as forward mounted as possible so the props don’t appear in the camera’s FOV.

B1F587C7-56EA-4CA0-9D4B-87993E73B430.png

Looks good!

2A6F1FB0-8421-4BB9-9A33-E69B10174A5A.jpeg

Time to fly it and I’ll capture some video to share tomorrow.

Cheers,
ph2t.

Hi great mod ! Just use a HD FPV cam with dvr and you could have nice cinematic movie from your fpv trip... :)
I have seen a "cheap" (20€ in Banggood website) HD cam which include dvr (SD card) called "Turbowing Cyclops 3 V3", i would be curious to see the result of that cam with your mod !

Last edited:
Reactions: rccars88
@ph2t Great idea to take power direct from the Tello battery!

I have a similar FPV mod. Pics below:

Pic 1 - I took the FPV camera/TX, extended the battery connection wire, and then mounted it on one half of a 40mm connecting bolt (without the bolt!) and then glued this to a spare Tello cover.
Pic 2 - Completed construction. The camera sits mid-point on the Tello for balance.
Pic 3 - I fed the cable through the side gap on the Tello before fixing on the top cover. This traps the wire so it doesn't interfere with the props.
Pic 4 - Bottom view with the battery fixed by velcro.
Pic 5 - Front view.

Attachments

• IMG_1380.jpg
    IMG_1380.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1488.jpg
    IMG_1488.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_1489.jpg
    IMG_1489.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_1490.jpg
    IMG_1490.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1492.jpg
    IMG_1492.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 83
While I'm posting pics, here is my Tello FPV setup with my DIY ground station (used for other drones)...

Pic 1 - Ground Station
Pic 2 - GS with Tello showing picture from FPV camera.
Pic 3 - GS with Tello showing picture from Tello camera using TelloFPV app. (Great app from @volate!lo)
Pic 4 - GS/Tello/Tablet running TelloFPV. GS shows view from FPV camera.
Pic 5 - GS/Tello/Tablet running TelloFPV. GS shows view from Tello camera (via TelloFPV).

Attachments

• IMG_1499.jpg
    IMG_1499.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1493.jpg
    IMG_1493.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1494.jpg
    IMG_1494.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1497.jpg
    IMG_1497.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1495.jpg
    IMG_1495.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 78
Reactions: spamaro and xcrost
Hi, Nice mod ! Have you planed to share fly video ?
An other way for power supply is to take it directly from tello usb, which can be used like "powerbank".

Reactions: Aemikee

I have installed the betafpv AIO(all in one)...
Hello, i think about that, with the weight of the camera at the top, you don't think the tello could lean forward ? Or maybe a calibration could fix that ?

Btw, i presume you ever saw that thread but if not, it could interest you :

Video from @Krag :

Good luck, impatient to see the result.

Thankyou guys for all the comments!

@Pac-tello - what an awesome setup! Very envious!

@spamaro - thank you for the link, I had missed that post. I think the weight is fine, so far flight doesn't seem affected.

Here's a video testing the betafpv camera versus the tello camera.

Some notes:
  • On my FPV goggles, the picture looks great. I'm really impresed with the FOV.
  • The FPV video capture in the video below is from a cheap 5.8Ghz video receiver that is USB so it plugs into my laptop and I recorded the video that way. It is of poor quality.
  • Near the end of the video the tello feed has jumped ahead of the FPV camera feed, this is because of all the lost video frames! It is most noticeable when I fly over the house roof.

Cheers,
ph2t.

Reactions: spamaro
Thank you for the video, Great !
I am not at home now but it make me want to try the same things ! :)
Maybe i will try to deport camera to avoid the props appears, with a kind of stem.
Have a good day !

Hi, Nice mod ! Have you planed to share fly video ?
An other way for power supply is to take it directly from tello usb, which can be used like "powerbank".
Thanks. I’ll get some video posted.
The Tello usb doesn’t provide enough power to run the camera. Probably enough to power an led light but not the camera/tx. Happy to be proved wrong as this was my first plan, but it didn’t work.

Hi, i didn't tryed yet to plug camera on tello usb but i presumed it shoud work... I will try this week end too if i find time !

Hi, i didn't tryed yet to plug camera on tello usb but i presumed it shoud work... I will try this week end too if i find time !
Actually, I was wrong. The usb does power the camera. You need to use an OTG-wired micro usb connector.

Revised design. Now using a 90 degree up-angled USB connector...

Attachments

• IMG_2363.jpg
    IMG_2363.jpg
    474.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2364.jpg
    IMG_2364.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 47
Hi,
Maybe you could help me. I try to plug a cam on the Tello otg like you, but i have some difficulties. I have that connector :

If i follow instruction, the pin 1 is the Vcc and the pin 5 the Gnd, but i have 0V when i make a measure when it is plugged to the Tello. Also, there is 3,18Vcc between the pins 3 and 5, so i don't know what to do...

What pins did you use please ?
Also, i was surprise to see that if the tello is turn off, there is 0V everywhere on that connector. Is it the same for you ? You have to turn on the Tello for power on the cam ?

By the way, i have printed in a shop the support mentionned by Krag in his post, it is great because you can adjust camera angle.
Ryze DJI Tello AIO camera holder by defillo

Thank you !

Hi,
Maybe you could help me. I try to plug a cam on the Tello otg like you, but i have some difficulties. I have that connector :
View attachment 3443

If i follow instruction, the pin 1 is the Vcc and the pin 5 the Gnd, but i have 0V when i make a measure when it is plugged to the Tello. Also, there is 3,18Vcc between the pins 3 and 5, so i don't know what to do...

What pins did you use please ?
Also, i was surprise to see that if the tello is turn off, there is 0V everywhere on that connector. Is it the same for you ? You have to turn on the Tello for power on the cam ?

By the way, i have printed in a shop the support mentionned by Krag in his post, it is great because you can adjust camera angle.
Ryze DJI Tello AIO camera holder by defillo

Thank you !
The way I did it was to take a standard micro usb otg cable and strip back the wiring to expose the red (vcc) and black (gnd) wires. These provide the power to the camera. VCC is on pin 1 and GND is on pin 5.

What makes the cable OTG is that pins 4 and 5 are also connected to each other. So, to answer your question, you need to use pin 1 (vcc) for the red wire to supply the voltage. Use pin 5 (gnd) for the black wire, but also short pins 4 and 5 together with a smal piece of wire. This should then work.

The usb connector only supplies power when the Tello is switched on. Not much point otherwise.

Thank you, i through it was not usefull to link the pin 4 and 5 together, i will try.

Hello everyone, here is a pic of what I used. It is the fpv camera from a first gen Tinywhoop it's only 25mw it worked good but haven't done it since I've gotten my wifi extender. Maybe I'll try again. It just doesn't have HD or sd card recording. Will need to buy a new one, updated one.IMG_20181026_135835803.jpg

Hello everyone, here is a pic of what I used. It is the fpv camera from a first gen Tinywhoop it's only 25mw it worked good but haven't done it since I've gotten my wifi extender. Maybe I'll try again. It just doesn't have HD or sd card recording. Will need to buy a new one, updated one.View attachment 3496
Looking good. You could improve this by powering the camera directly from the usb by wiring up to a cut down otg micro usb connector. Then you don’t have to worry about the added weight of the lipo on the back.

Yes I could and sure I wouldn't have the added weight, but I'm looking to keep the main battery only for the Tello. Any draw from the Tello USB port is just gunna be way less flight time. I still get 13min with that setup and 14min stock. My plan is to upgrade to some high-power lights and a better AIO fpv camera preferably 200mw. Still trying to find the best light output to weight ratio for the LED. Goal would be to stay under 15 grams for LED(s) and bump up from a 150mah to a 350mah battery on the back.

I have installed the betafpv AIO(all in one) camera and 5.8ghz TX module.

I ran a seperate power connector through some spare space around the tello camera. This way I can swap out tello covers. I can have a stock tello cover on - the power socket sits in a space within the chassis. Cool!

View attachment 3395View attachment 3396

I used smaller props so they don’t hit the camera. The red prop is a tello prop. The black is a King Kong prop off eBay.(sorry Ansia lol)

View attachment 3397

I used a hacked tello cover as the base for the camera mount. The smaller props allow me to have the camera as forward mounted as possible so the props don’t appear in the camera’s FOV.

View attachment 3399

Looks good!

View attachment 3398

Time to fly it and I’ll capture some video to share tomorrow.

Cheers,
ph2t.
Which propellers are those ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv