Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Gamesir T1s with TelloFPV

AnGo

Reaction score
Hello,
After using in the past a Gamesir T1d, I recently bought a T1s to get rid of the Bluetooth connection that I often read here that it has impact on the video quality.
I connect it with a OTG cable directly and it is recognized by the phone and the TelloFPV App, all fine so far.
Yesterday I was using it for the first time for longer flights outside and experienced a really weird situation. I was running an Autopilot (Poi Circle) in TelloFPV, in the meantime (maybe due to button inactivity or whatever) the Controller suddenly powered off (4 blue LEDs, so controller battery was charged). After I got Power back on, the controller did no longer control the TelloFPV App (or to say better the drone) but the phone. So the button events were handled by Android and instead of triggering actions on the drone, for example the App disappeared and I was on the Phone's Home screen. Also closing and restarting the TelloFPV App didn't change this behavior and also disconnect and reconnect of the OTG cable didn't restore the original behavior.
So luckily there was no wind, otherwise my Tello now might hang in a tree or somewhere else where it doesn't belong, so I could regain control by using onscreen controls on the phone's display and land it safely.
After doing again several tries to get the controller bahaving as supposed, I really needed to reboot the entire phone to solve it finally. As I after this experience don't really have a good feeling for future flights with the T1s I'd like to raise this story together with the question to the community: Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone know what went wrong here and how it can be prevented? Maybe I need to keep a certain procedure regarding powering on devices, establishing cable connections, starting apps, whatever, but I'd like to avoid running in this situation again.
Greetings and thanks for hints or advice.

Hello. In regards to the T1s suddenly powering off, see the options in this thread:

If the controller starts to control the phone (opening or closing apps or menus) then its connected in the wrong mode. As you noticed for yourself TelloFpv does no longer receive the commands, so can't do anything about it.
Why your T1S has switched off and switched mode on reconnect I don't know. I read about the sleep issue that @ZWActual mentions but I thought it would memorize the connection type.

This problem with the T1s is a timeout due to inactivity. As long as you stay on the controls - moving the sticks, pushing buttons etc, doing something - it stays on.

In my tests this timeout is 2 minutes... if the sticks aren't moved and no buttons are pushed for 2 minutes, it powers itself off... or goes to sleep, whatever.

As noted, turning it back on with the power button and regaining control is sometimes neither easy nor straightforward. I found the quickest and most reliable way to get Tellofpv to recognize it again quickly is to unplug the cable from the phone and plug it back in. Doing this, it will wake up and Tellofpv will recognize it right away.

This is an unfortunate quirk of the firmware on what is otherwise, IMO, one of the best controllers for the Tello.

I've read the thread by Raul linked above and couldn't figure out exactly what a definitive cure is. I read it long ago maybe I need to go back and read it again.

Bottom line: if you run an AP that takes longer than 2 minutes and don't touch any controls, the T1s will go to sleep.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZWActual
Credit to @raulvolador for his efforts!

Raul was having the 'sleep' problem with a T1, but some of his suggestions also apply to the T1s.

I figured out how to make mine not timeout, but might have a hard time explaining it, please bear with me.

• At first, turn on the controller using B + Home (power button) while NOT plugged into the phone.
  • Then plug in the OTG cable between phone and controller.
  • The two will 'pair', the green 'Android' light (the one on the far left under the phone bracket) will go from blinking to solid, and the red light will go off.
  • Afterwards, always power on the controller first, before plugging in the cable. And the green Android light HAS to be blinking before you plug into the phone, NOT solid.
  • If the Android light is on solid before plugging into the phone, the controller will timeout
  • If the Android light is blinking before plugging in, it will not timeout
  • After connecting the phone and controller, the green light will go solid.
  • If this does not work for you the first time, keep trying
  • Don't ask me why, but this works for me.
  • Good Luck!
Honestly, I don't even use a controller very much, due to the timeout issue and the additional hassle of putting everything together. When I want to play with Tello, I usually want it simple.

But lately, after seeing several posts here, I started playing with the T1s again inside. Now that I have the timeout issue solved, will be much more likely to use it.

Hello,

Maybe you can try to map a button to nothing and press that button every 30' to keep the controller alive.

I would like to know if you have the same sensitivity problem with your T1S that I had with my T1D (view this post). Moving the stick 2 millimeters make it go from 0 to 100%. That means that I couldn't make smooth turn.

Thank you.

Reactions: Guorium
Maybe you can try to map a button to nothing and press that button every 30' to keep the controller alive.
I solved my timeout problem by re-configuring the T1s.

I would like to know if you have the same sensitivity problem with your T1S that I had with my T1D (view this post). Moving the stick 2 millimeters make it go from 0 to 100%. That means that I couldn't make smooth turn.
After I saw your posts in the thread:
I re-installed the Gamepad tester app, and my T1s sticks work reliably, and the response is smooth and linear on all axes. The on-screen response maxes out at the same time the physical limit is reached.

In fact, I ~thought~ I wrote a fairly detailed post a few days ago on my test procedures and results, but can't find it now... maybe I didn't submit it?

Last edited:
Thank you for your answer, umanbean,

The gamepad was working good with the Gamesir config/update app, but not with TelloFPV. I forgot to mention that. I showed it a few posts after the one I mentioned above.

Regards,

Olivier.

Reactions: umanbean
Thank you for your answer, umanbean,

The gamepad was working good with the Gamesir config/update app, but not with TelloFPV. I forgot to mention that. I showed it a few posts after the one I mentioned above.

Regards,

Olivier.

Mine works fine with TelloFpv, got lucky I guess... Gamesir QC control must not be whatcha call 'top notch' lol

One problem with it though... noticed this morning the right stick doesn't center, almost but not exactly - Tello was wandering forward slowly. If I jiggled the stick slightly and let it go, it stopped.

Went back to the gamepad tester app, which confirmed. Move the right stick in any direction and let go, and the forward/backward axis value is different from the other axes.

The way I see it, I have three choices:

1. Grin and bear it
2. Take it apart and see if dielectric contact cleaner will fix it (don't see any way to squirt it from the top)
3. Go back to my Tello philosophy of KISS and just not use a #%^& controller

One problem with it though... noticed this morning the right stick doesn't center, almost but not exactly - Tello was wandering forward slowly. If I jiggled the stick slightly and let it go, it stopped.

Thank you for your answer.

Did you tried to increase the dead zone (zone within which the joystick is supposed to be centered ?

Reactions: umanbean
Thank you for your answer.

Did you tried to increase the dead zone (zone within which the joystick is supposed to be centered ?
No, I'm not the type to like to 'put a bandaid' on a problem, rather fix the cause... it's such a small thing, not really concerned with it. While flying, I'm very unlikely to completely let go of the sticks

With Tello, 98.6% of the time I'd rather just fly 'naked' anyway :D (with only a phone) (y)

Thanks already for all of your suggestions. I will try them out on next flight(s)

I just got the T1S, and it works well with TelloFPV and my Samsung S9+, with the USB OTG included with the S9+

I didn't see any frame drop in my 2 tests, inside my living room :)

I'll try to shoot some scenes this w.e.

Thank you all for your help.

Reactions: Trevisan_OPS
I just got the T1S, and it works well with TelloFPV and my Samsung S9+, with the USB OTG dongle included with the S9+ and a simple micro USB cable.

I didn't see any frame drop in my 2 tests, inside my living room :)

I'll try to shoot some scenes this w.e.

Thank you all for your help.

Credit to @raulvolador for his efforts!

Raul was having the 'sleep' problem with a T1, but some of his suggestions also apply to the T1s.

I figured out how to make mine not timeout, but might have a hard time explaining it, please bear with me.

• At first, turn on the controller using B + Home (power button) while NOT plugged into the phone.
  • Then plug in the OTG cable between phone and controller.
  • The two will 'pair', the green 'Android' light (the one on the far left under the phone bracket) will go from blinking to solid, and the red light will go off.
  • Afterwards, always power on the controller first, before plugging in the cable. And the green Android light HAS to be blinking before you plug into the phone, NOT solid.
  • If the Android light is on solid before plugging into the phone, the controller will timeout
  • If the Android light is blinking before plugging in, it will not timeout
  • After connecting the phone and controller, the green light will go solid.
  • If this does not work for you the first time, keep trying
  • Don't ask me why, but this works for me.
  • Good Luck!
Honestly, I don't even use a controller very much, due to the timeout issue and the additional hassle of putting everything together. When I want to play with Tello, I usually want it simple.

But lately, after seeing several posts here, I started playing with the T1s again inside. Now that I have the timeout issue solved, will be much more likely to use it.

This seems to be the perfect procedure to follow. No more issues noticed now for months since following these steps. Thank you very much.

Hello,
After using in the past a Gamesir T1d, I recently bought a T1s to get rid of the Bluetooth connection that I often read here that it has impact on the video quality.
I connect it with a OTG cable directly and it is recognized by the phone and the TelloFPV App, all fine so far.
Yesterday I was using it for the first time for longer flights outside and experienced a really weird situation. I was running an Autopilot (Poi Circle) in TelloFPV, in the meantime (maybe due to button inactivity or whatever) the Controller suddenly powered off (4 blue LEDs, so controller battery was charged). After I got Power back on, the controller did no longer control the TelloFPV App (or to say better the drone) but the phone. So the button events were handled by Android and instead of triggering actions on the drone, for example the App disappeared and I was on the Phone's Home screen. Also closing and restarting the TelloFPV App didn't change this behavior and also disconnect and reconnect of the OTG cable didn't restore the original behavior.
So luckily there was no wind, otherwise my Tello now might hang in a tree or somewhere else where it doesn't belong, so I could regain control by using onscreen controls on the phone's display and land it safely.
After doing again several tries to get the controller bahaving as supposed, I really needed to reboot the entire phone to solve it finally. As I after this experience don't really have a good feeling for future flights with the T1s I'd like to raise this story together with the question to the community: Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone know what went wrong here and how it can be prevented? Maybe I need to keep a certain procedure regarding powering on devices, establishing cable connections, starting apps, whatever, but I'd like to avoid running in this situation again.
Greetings and thanks for hints or advice.
Yes I have experienced that a couple times and both times I was very near another Wi-Fi source. The t1s is the best controller you can get for the telo. Make sure before you take off that you can control with the t1s. Just move the throttle and see if the controller on your phone is moving up and down. Sometimes you need to clear the controller settings and then replug in the t1s and select it again. I've flown over 200 flights with my t1s controller and have had only one or two issues

Yes I have experienced that a couple times and both times I was very near another Wi-Fi source. The t1s is the best controller you can get for the telo. Make sure before you take off that you can control with the t1s. Just move the throttle and see if the controller on your phone is moving up and down. Sometimes you need to clear the controller settings and then replug in the t1s and select it again. I've flown over 200 flights with my t1s controller and have had only one or two issues
Also as suggested in the manual for the fpv app, keep the master controller on your phone and the student with the game sir that way if you lose the controller connection you can go to your phone

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv