Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

TelloFPV -Tune Controls?

Walleye

Reaction score
I am trying to get slow and smooth yaw, thrust, pitch and roll. I've been experimenting with adjusting these in Tune Controls but not doing a very good job.
Could someone explain what Rate, Expo and Deadzone actually do and maybe give a suggestion for the slowest, smoothest yaw with these settings?
I'm watching the "line, " flatten it out, but it still seems like it's turning fast with slight moving of the stick.
Thanks!!

Stock tune in video mode should be perfectly smooth and slow. I suggest returning all tuning parameters to their defaults. Then, before you take off, verify that you are Video Mode, and not Sport Mode, and verify periodically that you remain in Video Mode. You'll soon develop a feel for their differences.

If you wish to learn the basics of what those tuning parameters do, download the TelloFPV manual. Nearly as impressive as the app itself, the TelloFPV manual describes in careful detail, how to use the app. On top of that, the developer has generously included practical descriptions, and definitions, of more general RC aircraft concepts, and terms. I recommend taking the time to read it like a book. To skip straight to the answers you seek, search the documnet for the relevant keyword (press Ctrl + F, and type in your keyword.) For instance, typing in "expo," and proceeding to the second instance of the word will land you on page 15, where you'll find a description of the expo function. Reading should give you a functional understanding of the concept, and experimenting/playing with the actual settings will then tighten your grasp of it.

Once you understand the tuning parameters, it will be a piece of cake to slow things down even further than default Video Mode, if that's what you are after.

One last thing. Many pilots are perfectly happy flying with on screen controls, while others like myself prefer the tactile feel of real controls. TelloFPV is compatible with nearly every Bluetooth, or OTG controller under the sun. I started with an XBox One S(?) controller, which works in either Bluetooth mode, or OTG mode (recommended,) and now currently fly using my actual RC radio, a FrSky Taranis X-Lite with USB OTG connection. You will find a lot of info on controllers, and how they work with TelloFPV, in the manual.

Reactions: Kyle Knox
For smooth movement, I mapped the "Rate Limit" function to the button on the controller and used the "Rate Limit" button together with the stick operation.
In my case, I got what I wanted more easily than tuning the stick.

Stock tune in video mode should be perfectly smooth and slow. I suggest returning all tuning parameters to their defaults. Then, before you take off, verify that you are Video Mode, and not Sport Mode, and verify periodically that you remain in Video Mode. You'll soon develop a feel for their differences.

If you wish to learn the basics of what those tuning parameters do, download the TelloFPV manual. Nearly as impressive as the app itself, the TelloFPV manual describes in careful detail, how to use the app. On top of that, the developer has generously included practical descriptions, and definitions, of more general RC aircraft concepts, and terms. I recommend taking the time to read it like a book. To skip straight to the answers you seek, search the documnet for the relevant keyword (press Ctrl + F, and type in your keyword.) For instance, typing in "expo," and proceeding to the second instance of the word will land you on page 15, where you'll find a description of the expo function. Reading should give you a functional understanding of the concept, and experimenting/playing with the actual settings will then tighten your grasp of it.

Once you understand the tuning parameters, it will be a piece of cake to slow things down even further than default Video Mode, if that's what you are after.

One last thing. Many pilots are perfectly happy flying with on screen controls, while others like myself prefer the tactile feel of real controls. TelloFPV is compatible with nearly every Bluetooth, or OTG controller under the sun. I started with an XBox One S(?) controller, which works in either Bluetooth mode, or OTG mode (recommended,) and now currently fly using my actual RC radio, a FrSky Taranis X-Lite with USB OTG connection. You will find a lot of info on controllers, and how they work with TelloFPV, in the manual.
Hi Santiago
Could you please share the defaults settings of the tuning parameters ? Have messed mine up and ended up in stress...
I need all for Yaw, throttle, roll and pitch.
Trying to follow the Manual and what have been said on here but doesn’t match up for smooth turning.

Thanks

@Maersk65 - is this what you're looking for?

From TelloFPV's manual (v1.4b):

View attachment 4507
Thanks ZWActual
Yes those figures stated in the Manual defaults settings but this dose not match with Volatello advice when asked about smooth movements when taking video.
Quote:

For me: much more expo on yaw+pitch+roll, and lower rates at least for yaw. Yaw rate around 50% or less for videos.

Unquote:

By the way I’m using the onscreen controller to avoid interference from my Bluetooth gamesir T1d:(

Hi Santiago
Could you please share the defaults settings of the tuning parameters ? Have messed mine up and ended up in stress...
I need all for Yaw, throttle, roll and pitch.
Trying to follow the Manual and what have been said on here but doesn’t match up for smooth turning.

Thanks

Currently, the app defaults to Rate=100 Expo=40 Deadzone=10 in Video Mode, and Rate=100 Expo=0 Deadzone=10 in Sport Mode. To be clear, I simply uninstalled, and reinstalled the app. Obviously these values are subject to change with updates to the app. If you tune, take the time to adjust in small increments, because the approach to what "feels best/right," to you, may not be perceived, or "felt," in a linear fashion. And in my experience, developing my reflexes, muscle memory, and physical motor control, is what puts the final polish on any "tune."

The absolute smoothest control you will get, is with an actual RC radio, as the gimbals provide the app with much higher resolution control data. The feel is unmatched imo, and the results can be seen in my video thread, "..A Walk In the Park.." something or other, shot on a whim one day, while walking my pupper.

Reactions: Maersk65
The defaults have been changed with the last update to 50% expo for both sport and video mode. But these are only applied on a fresh installation, or after deleting app data.

Reactions: Enfors
I'm also having some trouble with the controller settings for the Gamesir T1D : altough the expo is set to 100%, the joystick is too sensible for making video smooth rotation as you can see on the video. Any help trick or hint is welcome.

You have to significantly reduce the rate as well. Maybe 50%
Thank you for your answer, volate!lo. But the problem stay the same. Watch carefully this 2nd video. Let's say that the game controller give a value from 0 to 100, the app is at max rotation at 10. The controller range 11-100 is unused :(
Look at this new video : the max range is reached at 00:05, then continue to move the joystick full left.

Most controllers waste large parts of the stick movement. Typically around the center the output is 0%, then output is proportional for some small part of the stick movement, but after around half of it the output is just 100%. Essentially the controller sticks are non-proportional on/off switches due to this.

Please test it with a gamepad tester app, it will show you exactly the same. If not there is a bug in TelloFpv but I doubt so.

The only solution is to buy a better controller.

Reactions: Kitarolivier
Most controllers waste large parts of the stick movement. Typically around the center the output is 0%, then output is proportional for some small part of the stick movement, but after around half of it the output is just 100%. Essentially the controller sticks are non-proportional on/off switches due to this.

Please test it with a gamepad tester app, it will show you exactly the same. If not there is a bug in TelloFpv but I doubt so.

The only solution is to buy a better controller.
Thank you for your answer. I'll install a tester app and check that later at home and write results here. Otherwise, which affordable controller do you recommend (android) ?

If your phone +tello don't have problems with interference from bluetooth controllers: Parrot Flypad. Here its sold for 10 bucks on Amazon Warehouse.

Otherwise you'll need a wired controller. Actually I am not aware ofany affordable iwred controller thathas a precision near the Flypad. Taranis and such are a bit expensive. I heard the Flysky fs-i6 also works well but I have no first hand experience

If your phone +tello don't have problems with interference from bluetooth controllers: Parrot Flypad. Here its sold for 10 bucks on Amazon Warehouse.

Otherwise you'll need a wired controller. Actually I am not aware ofany affordable iwred controller thathas a precision near the Flypad. Taranis and such are a bit expensive. I heard the Flysky fs-i6 also works well but I have no first hand experience
Hi volate!lo,

It seems that the T1D has a good range : here is when testing with the T1D app.

I could not find another app to test it (because it can't pair, and test app need to be paired before lauched) and get controller return values. If you want to send me a test app to check return values, I stay at your disposal.

Regards,

Olivier .

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv