Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Gamevice Controller

Jiker69

Reaction score
I read somewhere that if I use a "Gamevice" from Apple the jerky video will disappear. Has anyone bought one of these Controllers or am I the experiment?

Reactions: Maxyoyeah
If you mean in the context of vs a BT controller, possibly. BT operates on 2.4Ghz.

Otherwise vs just using the virtual sticks there would be no difference. The controller itself has nothing to do with video.

I read somewhere that if I use a "Gamevice" from Apple the jerky video will disappear. Has anyone bought one of these Controllers or am I the experiment?

I had a GV 140 for my iPad Mini 4 but I returned it for a $100 credit and forced myself to become good at using the virtual joy sticks on my android cell, as I want the additional portability.

I never tried it with the newer firmware.

Last edited:
Here is a post from Facebook. Not sure if this will get me in trouble but it's an informative post about the Tello.
****WARNING DO NOT USE BLUETOOTH CONTROLLERS***
DISCLAIMER; THIS IS STRICTLY MY OPINION
I have compiled information over 5 different Tello groups along with my own personal testing and have come to the conclusion that bluetooth controllers are causing video skipping, jumping, lagging on the Tello because of bluetooth interference.
In some cases (my own test) it caused a permanent problem with a Tello even after i stopped using the controller. I have had 4 different Tellos and have tested 3 different controllers personally. In one case, by another user, it appears using a bluetooth controller has "bricked" his Tello, BUT THIS IS NOT CONFIRMED YET.
At this point, in my opinion, the only controller that is 100% compatible is the GameVice Controller for iOS. The GameVice Controller does not use Bluetooth and instead plugs directly into the iOS device allowing you to turn bluetooth completely OFF while using the Tello, which I recommend even if your just using your device as the controller, wether it be iOS or Android i recommend turning OFF bluetooth.
This next statement refers to using the GameVice Controller with iPhone ONLY. I have not tested the GameVice Controller for iPad or iPad Mini. I know some people here are and hopefully they will comment here with their results.
For GameVice with iPhone ONLY; There is 2 different GameVice Controllers for iPhone ONLY.
Model # GV156 (2016 Model with battery button)
Model# GV157 (2017-18 Model without battery button) See Pictures below.
The difference between the 2 models is the GV156 (with battery button) uses a lithium ion battery in the device.
The GV157(no battery button) does not contain a battery at all. It gets it power from the iPhone itself and uses very little power to run (equivalent to using plug-in headphones).
I have personally tested the GV157 (without battery button) and can confirm it works flawlessly. The response from the controller is perfect as well as the video feed. See attached video below.(Sorry, I'm flying in my garage like a crazy man, lol. it was raining outside).
On a side note, I don't like the "style" of the controller, I would prefer a traditional style controller, but it works! lol
If you are using the GV156 (with battery button) I'd like to hear from you. I am reading that the GV156 is causing the iPhone to get hot and there is some lag in responsiveness to the Tello, but I have not tested or confirmed.
If you are using another Bluetooth controller that is problem free as far as no skipping, jumping, lagging video feed I'd like to hear from you too.
It is also important to note that it seems that people that are using their phone only as a controller are not experiencing the trouble with video. If you are or are not please leave comment with which phone you are using.
Hopefully Ryze Tech will be able to get this Bluetooth problem fixed via a firmware/software update. And hopefully the GameSir T1d will be available soon and work flawlessly!
***EDIT to add picture from the Ryze Tello website... they did tell us from the beginning what controllers were supported (exception being the particular GameSir T1d controller is not yet available)
Ps. I wish we had all known this from the beginning
1f621.png
?
And Charging hubs, WE NEED CHARGING HUBS!!! LOL

Mine is the Model GV 140 also. I have not tried it yet. After you tried the GameVice did DJI accept it back but in the form of a credit?
I agree with "additional portability".

I am using GV157. It connect to iPhone via Lightning connector. It does work well. For the bluetooth gamepad, I think Tello channel selector is not so good. Probably it cannot switch to available channel so the wifi is interferred by bluetooth.

By the way, DO NOT USE GV157 with iPhone7/7 Plus. It causes iPhone to reboot or causes iOS Tello app malfunction. My Tello flew away because the bug in iPhone 7/7 Plus firmware.

With the current firmware the Bluetooth connection is causing stuttering with live feed and recorded video. When using mobile device to control (iOS or Android) with BT off the live & recorded video is normal, using Gamevice (GV141) with my mini4 (direct connection & BT off) live feed/ recorded video is normal, however if using Steelseries Nimbus controller using BT the live and recorded video has major stutter.
Some users have reported reported that the original firmware didn’t experience BT video problems but mine was updated before getting the Nimbus & Gamevice so I can’t confirm that.

It is also important to note that it seems that people that are using their phone only as a controller are not experiencing the trouble with video. If you are or are not please leave comment with which phone you are using.

LG V10 with mbps set to Auto = NOT*

*Resulting mp4 is 1280x720; Data rate 10074kbps; Total bit rate 10074kbps; 30 frames/second)

Conclusions:
1) Hard to tell it's not FHD (1080p) on a 52-inch 1080p HDTV
2) For those who need to fly a drone indoors, e.g., real estate professionals, the Tello and a pocket full of batteries may be all they need, provided the interiors are brightly lit

Last edited:
Mine is the Model GV 140 also. I have not tried it yet. After you tried the GameVice did DJI accept it back but in the form of a credit?
I agree with "additional portability".
Have you tried this yet? Which model mini are you using it with?

Ooooo lucky me.... we are down in Cornwall for a few days of relaxation for my partner’s birthday and having given her her gifts she suddenly presents one for me !!!

Out of the blue she had decided to get me a gamevice which I had only mentioned once a long time ago when we visited an Apple store.

How lucky am I !!? ?

I have only briefly tried it with my tello but it seems great and better than the GameSir Bluetooth controller I have used until now

J

Got it and love it. You can use to play games as well.

Here is a post from Facebook. Not sure if this will get me in trouble but it's an informative post about the Tello.
****WARNING DO NOT USE BLUETOOTH CONTROLLERS***
DISCLAIMER; THIS IS STRICTLY MY OPINION
I have compiled information over 5 different Tello groups along with my own personal testing and have come to the conclusion that bluetooth controllers are causing video skipping, jumping, lagging on the Tello because of bluetooth interference.
In some cases (my own test) it caused a permanent problem with a Tello even after i stopped using the controller. I have had 4 different Tellos and have tested 3 different controllers personally. In one case, by another user, it appears using a bluetooth controller has "bricked" his Tello, BUT THIS IS NOT CONFIRMED YET.
At this point, in my opinion, the only controller that is 100% compatible is the GameVice Controller for iOS. The GameVice Controller does not use Bluetooth and instead plugs directly into the iOS device allowing you to turn bluetooth completely OFF while using the Tello, which I recommend even if your just using your device as the controller, wether it be iOS or Android i recommend turning OFF bluetooth.
This next statement refers to using the GameVice Controller with iPhone ONLY. I have not tested the GameVice Controller for iPad or iPad Mini. I know some people here are and hopefully they will comment here with their results.
For GameVice with iPhone ONLY; There is 2 different GameVice Controllers for iPhone ONLY.
Model # GV156 (2016 Model with battery button)
Model# GV157 (2017-18 Model without battery button) See Pictures below.
The difference between the 2 models is the GV156 (with battery button) uses a lithium ion battery in the device.
The GV157(no battery button) does not contain a battery at all. It gets it power from the iPhone itself and uses very little power to run (equivalent to using plug-in headphones).
I have personally tested the GV157 (without battery button) and can confirm it works flawlessly. The response from the controller is perfect as well as the video feed. See attached video below.(Sorry, I'm flying in my garage like a crazy man, lol. it was raining outside).
On a side note, I don't like the "style" of the controller, I would prefer a traditional style controller, but it works! lol
If you are using the GV156 (with battery button) I'd like to hear from you. I am reading that the GV156 is causing the iPhone to get hot and there is some lag in responsiveness to the Tello, but I have not tested or confirmed.
If you are using another Bluetooth controller that is problem free as far as no skipping, jumping, lagging video feed I'd like to hear from you too.
Hopefully Ryze Tech will be able to get this Bluetooth problem fixed via a firmware/software update. And hopefully the GameSir T1d will be available soon and work flawlessly!
***EDIT to add picture from the Ryze Tello website... they did tell us from the beginning what controllers were supported (exception being the particular GameSir T1d controller is not yet available)
Ps. I wish we had all known this from the beginning
1f621.png
?
And Charging hubs, WE NEED CHARGING HUBS!!! LOL
Yeah, I agree. Bluetooth uses 2.4G band so it causes interference.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv