Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Gimme some light so I can fly at night

DirtyLikaRat

Reaction score
Yea man. That's what grinds my gears about this little dude. Night flying is brutal and night recording of video is impossible. I tried myself to mount an LED light I took out of a headlamp I wasn't using. But power was my issue. I'm a lowly ex radio operator for the US Army. By no means an electronics wiz. And I wasn't about to take a chance on screwing up my little bird trying to tie in to the on board power supply. Anyone done a mod like this?

Reactions: LarryP
I feel your pain (think we all do lol)
I recall reading a thread on here about using an infrared diode close to the sensors to trick them into thinking there’s ambient light.

-M

Well I have cheap syma’s for night use. VPs+optical flow doesn’t make for a good combination when flying @nite. In fact just bought another cheapie less than 45 min ago for that very purpose ?

-M

Reactions: DirtyLikaRat
Well I have cheap syma’s for night use. VPs+optical flow doesn’t make for a good combination when flying @nite. In fact just bought another cheapie less than 45 min ago for that very purpose ?

-M
what exactly is happening to it when flying at night? does it have any serious issue? like malfunctioning or fly aways?

I get loss of control laterally. I know Tellos can’t handle low light or reflective surfaces. I’ve never ventured to high vertically in low light conditions due to potential flyaway risks.

-M

I get loss of control laterally. I know Tellos can’t handle low light or reflective surfaces. I’ve never ventured to high vertically in low light conditions due to potential flyaway risks.

-M
so its like acting on its own in this conditions? flying a fully manual cheap drones are better?

so its like acting on its own in this conditions? flying a fully manual cheap drones are better?

For nite use I would say yes. The tech that makes the Tello what it is at the price point will have limitations.....heck my wife assisted the gust of wind distracting me while trying to bring #3 back. It’s in my cousins tree now (Sending my crew to grab it tomorrow). Saying all that to say, the Tello is less of a toy than its proclaimed, it’s just as sensitive to ambient conditions as it’s more expensive brethren.

-M

I wanted to follow up my answer slightly. The times this occurred I was using the onscreen controls with an iPhone 8. The response on screen was “glitchy”.
I just took out the Tello with the T1D and could fly it around. This was with the “VPS unavailable” warning on screen. Only issue I noticed was the Tello drifting in the direction of the previous right stick input while at rest (hovering). Oh yeah no flips either for obvious reason lol

-M

Reactions: LarryP

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv