Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Hawkeye Firefly Micro Cam 2

SaschaUhlig

Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Hi guys, seems like there'll be a new version of the Hawkeye Firefly Micro Cam (2) out in March, demo videos look quite promising. But with 31g it's more heavy than version 1, also a bit bigger. Do you think it will work with the Tello anyways? I assume the bigger size might be a bigger problem than the weight of 31g, especially if one only uses cable ties to fix the camera on the Tello.

More info here:
HawkEye Firefly Micro Cam 2

firefly2.JPG

Last edited:
Those 3 gram won't make any difference. Except of the flight time maybe, it could be like 5 seconds less.

Sounds good, thank you!

Just got a Tello a few days ago, sorry for the newbie question, the quality of this cam made me a bit excited though.
No problem. I actually build a second camera myself with a raspberry pi zero and the pi zero cam. But i am still waiting for the mini powerbank i ordered on ebay :(

Someone empirically tested max load capacities of Tello in this thread: Maximum weight a Tello can carry

Quick results:
No weight (drone, battery, and prop guards only): average hover time was 10 min 35 seconds (shorter than I had expected)
20 grams of added weight: average hover time was 7:58
40 grams: average hover time was 5:40
60 grams: Tello hovered for approximately 2 minutes and then started spinning, acting erratically, and landed before the battery was fully depleted

No problem. I actually build a second camera myself with a raspberry pi zero and the pi zero cam. But i am still waiting for the mini powerbank i ordered on ebay :(

why not take power from the micro USB port? I don't know how much it can support but RPiZ doesn't need that much juice so worth a try

why not take power from the micro USB port? I don't know how much it can support but RPiZ doesn't need that much juice so worth a try
Does it work that way? I would have expected the Tello could only be charged at this port. Or maybe you would have to hack the firmware...

I don't know how much power it can supply, but its works as a OTG host. Tello just doesn't do anything with this capability.
Hi, a newbies question... if a raspberry can be carryed by Tello. Do you think it would be possible to developp an app, installed on the raspberry, which would catch the wifi video stream from tello ? Then maybe video quality could be better with the proximity ?

yes, that would be possible if RPiZ can be powered off the USB port. I need to check my drawers, I know I have a RPiZ W somwhere...

Reactions: spamaro
You'd need to use the Pi as a relay / man in the middle. That is app connects to Pi and Pi connects to Tello.

AFAIK the normal Pi can be both Wifi AP and client at the same time. I read someone articles of people using it for filtering wifi which used exactly this feature. No clue if the PiZero W can do the same. If it can, then this should work.
It wold work only in close rage, as the Tello has certainly better antenna & wifi compared to the Pi. OTOH this would also allow to build some truly autonomous functions, like a real RTH even with wifi lost.

BTW: My Pi Zero W boots when connected to the micro USB port.

You'd need to use the Pi as a relay / man in the middle. That is app connects to Pi and Pi connects to Tello.

AFAIK the normal Pi can be both Wifi AP and client at the same time. I read someone articles of people using it for filtering wifi which used exactly this feature. No clue if the PiZero W can do the same. If it can, then this should work.
It wold work only in close rage, as the Tello has certainly better antenna & wifi compared to the Pi. OTOH this would also allow to build some truly autonomous functions, like a real RTH even with wifi lost.

BTW: My Pi Zero W boots when connected to the micro USB port.
Amazing, and stupid me actually bought a 400mah Powerbank twice (both don't work(pearl.de Schrott)) and now bought fake Fingerpow Powerbanks on ebay...

I have not tested if Pi Zero works inflight. I might well be that the power load is too large then, or too much noise introduced into the Pi.
So maybe you'll need the powerbank. Good luck

I will try it tomorrow, thanks!
Hi, if the tello usb power doesn't work inflight, the power with Li-Po battery would not be more lightweight and convenient than powerbank ? I have seen on the web few ways to do that with "Zero LiPo" or "JuiceBox Zero" cards.

Sorry @SaschaUhlig, i am a little far from your initial thread...

Reactions: SaschaUhlig

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv