Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Hello Tello Pilots!

zesteves

Reaction score
Hello Tello Pilots,

I am from Portugal and I am an enthusiast of drones.

I have several Parrot drones: Hydrofoil, Swing and more recently an Anafi. Before I had several unknown drones, which were very difficult to control and none of them are working now (me and my son crashed most of them).

With my Anafi I can do beautiful footage but I don't have a function that I would really like: FPV flight with VR capability (split screen for VR googles).

So, a few days ago I bought a Tello drone, after reading a lot. For the first impressions, it looks a really good drone.

However, I have had many difficulties in making it work with the controllers I already have (Parrot FlyPad and Gamesis G3s) and also I couldn't find an app which allow me FPV flight with VR capability with these controllers.

I hope the Tello Pilots from this forum can help me find a solution to achieve my goal.

All the best!
Jose

Reactions: dirkclod
There is an app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.appologics.dronevr&hl=en that claims Tello support (other DJI drones are in-app purchase, but Tello is builtin). I had no opportunity to test it (not compatible with any of my devices) and ratings seem poor, but you may consider it.
Another way is to use stock Tello app with https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.chaozhuo.gameassistant -- look around the forum, Octopus was discussed here many times.
But the most noble way would be to convince bluejune to add VR to aTello Pilot, thus making the ultimate Tello app :)

Reactions: zesteves
I also come from the Parrot side of things... I have owned the Swing (what a joke) and Bebop 1, Bebop 2, and briefly a Disco.
My ideal FPV combo is: Bebop2 & Auriga bebop & Flypad & Xiaomi Nano youth range extender. Max FPV distance over 3km ...

As Briest I have also never managed to try the Drone VR due to incompaibility with my phones. Somehow it just seems to be compatible with my tablets which of course don't fit the VR goggles.

That said I have silently been working on an App and its now in the final stage. I have received the OK by the forum admins to post a Beta version here, and will do so most likely tomorrow. I want to get this App out before christmas, so time is running out. I will post an announcement soon, including the Beta version and a roadmap.
While the VR functionality is not yet ready for public use its at the top of my ToDo list - because that was one of two prime reasons to build this app.

Reactions: zesteves and briest
Good news, volate!lo :) Would your app be compatible with generic wired controllers or just your favourite Flypad? ;)

Though it's possible I'll look for Swing/Flypad combo (strange, they seem to go cheaper than Flypads themselves). If I may ask, why is Swing a joke? Sure, it's a toy, but I find its quad/plane modes interesting.

First off the app will support Flypad and Gamesir T1d (many people have bought this overprized controller so I thought it would only be fair to help them preserve their investment). Next release will include generic USB controller support. USB controller is not a hard job to do but around XMas I have other priorities. USB controller support should be there around year's end.

Why is Swing a joke... It's a frankenstein between a plane and a drone and doesn't work well in any category. In drone mode is dead slow and badly affected by slightest wind so it can't really fly outside. As a plane it can't go slow so you need lots of airspace. You need a huge room like a gymn or something like that to enjoy it. But even then reliable control range isn't good enough for decent flights.
Maybe mine just had a bad receiver and others geet a better range but then its still not a good drone and not a good plane.

But as you realized you can get the Swing & Flypad combo cheaper than the Flypad itself so thats the way to go and as a "free drone" Swing is certainly OK. I guess that they are selling off their last production run of Swing at ultra low prices.
But the Flypad should be there to stay as they have a couple of other mini drones using it.

First off the app will support Flypad and Gamesir T1d (many people have bought this overprized controller so I thought it would only be fair to help them preserve their investment). Next release will include generic USB controller support. USB controller is not a hard job to do but around XMas I have other priorities. USB controller support should be there around year's end.

Why is Swing a joke... It's a frankenstein between a plane and a drone and doesn't work well in any category. In drone mode is dead slow and badly affected by slightest wind so it can't really fly outside. As a plane it can't go slow so you need lots of airspace. You need a huge room like a gymn or something like that to enjoy it. But even then reliable control range isn't good enough for decent flights.
Maybe mine just had a bad receiver and others geet a better range but then its still not a good drone and not a good plane.

But as you realized you can get the Swing & Flypad combo cheaper than the Flypad itself so thats the way to go and as a "free drone" Swing is certainly OK. I guess that they are selling off their last production run of Swing at ultra low prices.
But the Flypad should be there to stay as they have a couple of other mini drones using it.
So for now, my Stratus XL controller will not be compatible, until aftear play store release?

This has made my kittens sad.

There is an app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.appologics.dronevr&hl=en that claims Tello support (other DJI drones are in-app purchase, but Tello is builtin). I had no opportunity to test it (not compatible with any of my devices) and ratings seem poor, but you may consider it.
Another way is to use stock Tello app with https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.chaozhuo.gameassistant -- look around the forum, Octopus was discussed here many times.
But the most noble way would be to convince bluejune to add VR to aTello Pilot, thus making the ultimate Tello app :)

Hello Briest,

Thank you for your advices.

Unfortunately, I had already tried your suggestions but none of them worked.

Th Drone VR app from Appologics is not compatible with my phone. I also tried the Octopus app but the Flypad doesn't work either. I bought the aTelloPilot (by bluejune) but I couldn't make it work with my Flypad also.

I thought already the Flypad is not working well but when I tested with the Parrot Freeflight Mini it worked very well with the Parrot mini-drones.

I hope to have better results with the new app that volotello is working on.

I also come from the Parrot side of things... I have owned the Swing (what a joke) and Bebop 1, Bebop 2, and briefly a Disco.
My ideal FPV combo is: Bebop2 & Auriga bebop & Flypad & Xiaomi Nano youth range extender. Max FPV distance over 3km ...

As Briest I have also never managed to try the Drone VR due to incompaibility with my phones. Somehow it just seems to be compatible with my tablets which of course don't fit the VR goggles.

That said I have silently been working on an App and its now in the final stage. I have received the OK by the forum admins to post a Beta version here, and will do so most likely tomorrow. I want to get this App out before christmas, so time is running out. I will post an announcement soon, including the Beta version and a roadmap.
While the VR functionality is not yet ready for public use its at the top of my ToDo list - because that was one of two prime reasons to build this app.

Hi volatello,

I hope your new app will bring new hope to me and to the people who is "suffering" from the same problem.

It would be great if your new app could work with all controllers (USB/OTG or bluetooth) and if it had the possibility to use VR googles (with split screen).

However, as a star it will be great if the controllers can work with the Tello.

About the Parrot Swing, me and my son flew a lot with it during the summer holidays and it was great. But you're right, if it's windy, it's not a good idea to fly with it outdoors. We like it very much!

Good news, volate!lo :) Would your app be compatible with generic wired controllers or just your favourite Flypad? ;)

Though it's possible I'll look for Swing/Flypad combo (strange, they seem to go cheaper than Flypads themselves). If I may ask, why is Swing a joke? Sure, it's a toy, but I find its quad/plane modes interesting.

The Parrot Swing it is a very nice drone, specially to fly outdoors but only with no wind.
I also bought it because the combo (Swing and Flypad) was cheaper than the Flypad alone. Marketing... :unsure:

Hello Tello Pilots,

I am from Portugal and I am an enthusiast of drones.

All the best!
Jose
Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .
0rojyyg-png.95983

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .
0rojyyg-png.95983

Thank you for the welcome.
I am already learning in this forum.
All the best!

Reactions: dirkclod

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv