Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

How to achieve Circle Mode using python language? Drone flying in circle will always face the centre of that circle.

gbusma

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Anyone who used the Tello App on smartphone knows about the circle flying mode. What I am trying to do is to program the Tello drone to fly in circle at a specific radius and to film the origin/centre of the circle it creates. Does anyone managed to program it to fly in such a way, or knows some methods. I would appreciate if you can share the source code for this.

I tried to create a custom python function called go_around(r), where r is the specified radius. Using the curve() function of Tello, it would fly a semi-circle. Unfortunately, the drone will remain static (does not rotate to face the centre of the circle). Personally, I understand the command process as sequential, meaning that the computer sends the command curve(with coordinates), Tello performs this (responses with 'ok'), then the command rotate(degrees), Tello performs. But as the Android app manages to perform the circle mode (curve and rotate I guess) in parallel.

Sorry for being too verbose, but I am quite confused what to do next.
1614337810075.png

1614338176385.png

Hi everyone!

Anyone who used the Tello App on smartphone knows about the circle flying mode. What I am trying to do is to program the Tello drone to fly in circle at a specific radius and to film the origin/centre of the circle it creates. Does anyone managed to program it to fly in such a way, or knows some methods. I would appreciate if you can share the source code for this.

I tried to create a custom python function called go_around(r), where r is the specified radius. Using the curve() function of Tello, it would fly a semi-circle. Unfortunately, the drone will remain static (does not rotate to face the centre of the circle). Personally, I understand the command process as sequential, meaning that the computer sends the command curve(with coordinates), Tello performs this (responses with 'ok'), then the command rotate(degrees), Tello performs. But as the Android app manages to perform the circle mode (curve and rotate I guess) in parallel.

Sorry for being too verbose, but I am quite confused what to do next.
View attachment 6794

View attachment 6795
Have you made any progress on this? I am very interested if this is possible within tello programming.

Hi. I think it's already possible with the fpv App from volatello?!

Hi. I think it's already possible with the fpv App from volatello?!
Thanks pit. I am looking to leverage some additional programming, so using an App is not ideal. Would need to stay in the Tello dev environment . Thanks!

I believe flying in a circle with simultaneous drone rotation (to face the center) can be done with a series of RC commands.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv