Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

How to go beyond the 10m altitude

Ivan Adelan

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to go beyond the 10meters altitude limit set by the manufacturer? I bought a xiaomi wifi repeater 2 and its very effective in extending the distance the tello can go horizontally but still limited in height

Reactions: Libellula2000
Not possible currently AFAIK. I wonder if it's app or drone enforced, ie could we bypass by hacking the app.

I might investigate.

P

I thought its only reference to altitude was in reference to its takeoff position. So if you take off as high as possible you should be able to eke out a higher alitude AGL.

Mike

It refer to the take off altitude, got mine at about 60 ft taking off from a 30 feet observation tower, and when I got under the start height, it start going in the minus, then I've benn able to make it go to 60 ft again. The app stop the tello, not the sensor on the drone

Does anyone know how to go beyond the 10meters altitude limit set by the manufacturer? I bought a xiaomi wifi repeater 2 and its very effective in extending the distance the tello can go horizontally but still limited in height

Can I ask how you are using the repeater to extend the Tello flight range? This appears to be a USB device so i am wondering how you connect it to your mobile?

It would be great if we could somehow hack the tello so that it can bypass the 10m height limit. We would need a custom FW for that though. Or maybe not?

I had a discussion with Ryze support about max height and this was their response:

'In regards to the maximum flight height, our Engineers have changed it to a 10m max in our newest firmware and have updated our website now about this.'

i saw videos with strong wind and Tello holds up! On calm day 30 meters would be great. I hope that there is this improvement that get to 10 meters at the end you get tired. I do not say 50 meters but 20-30 meters.

I think that the reason for the “ceiling” of 10m is because the vps will not work at all if the drone is any higher. Lack of GPS is a big problem because if you are at 30m for example and a gust of wind pulls the drone along then there is no way it can come back on it’s own. That said I would still like to have the freedom of choice.

What I would love though is a 2nd gen tello that would be GPS equipped. A junior spark, kind of. I would gladly pay 200 euros for that.

Reactions: kenjiru
I think that the reason for the “ceiling” of 10m is because the vps will not work at all if the drone is any higher. Lack of GPS is a big problem because if you are at 30m for example and a gust of wind pulls the drone along then there is no way it can come back on it’s own. That said I would still like to have the freedom of choice.

What I would love though is a 2nd gen tello that would be GPS equipped. A junior spark, kind of. I would gladly pay 200 euros for that.
Yes. Great idea. Keep it under 100g. Great for NFZs

Can I ask how you are using the repeater to extend the Tello flight range? This appears to be a USB device so i am wondering how you connect it to your mobile?

You can plug it into a power back. I ordered one last week, just waiting for it to show up. They are like $10 on ebay.

[QUOTE = "trelo, post: 944, member: 150"] Puoi salire a 30m? Puoi per favore pubblicare uno screenshot dei tuoi amici? La versione dell'app è stata apposta? [/ QUOTE]
Not like that! Un mio desiderio:)

Hey!
I also have bought a Xiaomi Mi WIFI 2 repeater/range extender and it works fine. Just take care of the WiFi interference among buildings with own 2,4GHz wireless networks in the flats. In this case it could look like it doesn't work, but so. So, you can use this repeater with a power bank I recommend, that you should turn the antenna's face of that to the direction which you would fly further. (The antenna's face is one that has the mark of "WiFi+" on it.)
If you would power it more up, just try to plug it into the stronger USB port of the power bank (2A if it has one).
While Tello doesn't have a GPS module for navigation it always try to be optically attached to surface of the ground below and if you are getting higher, you'll see a yellow warning on your phone's screen about this issue.
I'm trying to find out more about this "10m-limitation" on forums, and let you know, if find something.

Reactions: Marcio Cartier
Can't you just stick some tape over the sensors?
BRB giving this a try...

Edit:
Ok, I stuck a post-it over the sensors and took off indoors. The Tello wandered around a bit and complained that VPS wasn't available but I was able to fly around still so I'll try it outdoors at some point.

Last edited:
I got it up to 9.82 meters today, just about rugby goalposts. Wouldn’t go up further. Plus WiFi signal was dropping out. Got about 30 - 40 meters distance, before WiFi got finicky. Still, for the price, it can not be beat.

Anyone can suggest a very good wifi extender that can give more than 100 meters distance of flight i have the xiaomi but still looking for better distance just exploring.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv