Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

I have a Tello, but looking for something more. Would you buy a Q500 from eBay?

NealJ777

Reaction score
Website
nealjacob.com
Looking for purchase advice, please.

I gifted myself a Tello at Christmas and now I have the drone bug. I haven't really been flying my Tello very much. Mainly due to the weather, but also due to the fact that I just can't get used to controlling it via my phone. I'd rather use a physical remote controller.

I do not have the budget right now to get a Mavic Air or Mavic Pro. I don't really even have the budget to pick up a Spark. I really want something that I can just play around with and get used to flying.

Someone on Reddit mentioned getting a Yuneec Q500. I've seen a few on eBay for around $300-$350ish. It would be quite a while before I would have the funds available to go out and get a Mavic. I know $300 isn't a big thing for a lot of people, but for me, I have to make a very educated decision before investing $300. At least it's $300 and not $1,000!

I've seen several similar posts on eBay. Would you feel comfortable getting one of these off of eBay?

Yuneec Q500 2K Typhoon YUNQ51SBRTFUS-B Drone RTF, Alum Case, ST10+ ,G02+ CAM | eBay

Thank you :)

Reactions: GabrielK
The Q500 is a very stable camera platform. If you get one off eBay make certain that the picture included is actually of the UAV. There are different models available, but the 2K Is not one of them. There is a q500G (Gimbal for gopro), the Q500+ (White body and controller, 1080P CG02 camera) and the Q500 4k (Silver/black body & Controller, CG03 4K camera). I have never heard of the 2K, so on this one I would pass. Looking at it, it would seem that someone put a CG02 camera (1080P) on a 4K body. I would keep looking, there are better deals on an actual4K with the CG03 camera. The CG03 camera is worth around $280 itself. As for a 4K, I have one and love it.

Yes, that is the one I would purchase. I bought mine 3 years ago at Best Buyfor $1100 Canadian and have love it since. I have added a Typhoon H as well. I think you will love the Q500. It's a really stable fun bird to fly. It is slower than a Phantom but more stable.

Okay. Thank you.

Don't get me wrong! I like the Tello. I just want something more. I've seen some pretty awesome Tello photos/videos on YouTube, but I guess I'm just afraid to fly it beyond my house. (Yes. I have the MiFi extender)

I've always wanted to get some shots of this water tower. I've lived here 19 years! I just feel that something other than the Tello is the right tool for the job.

I also would not use my Tello far from my house (well, it's winter here in Alberta...so.. only in the house!) The Tello is a great little UAV with a decent camera but it does have it's limitations. Now, for $100 I love it. It is fun and stable in the house. The 4K cannot be used in the house unless you disable the GPS (not recommended). You can purchase prop guards on eBay for it fairly cheaply. One way to get used to flying it is to pick up the simulator dongle around $35 US. You can then use your controller with the computer. It will help you learn to fly with and without the GPS and has challenges to teach you control. Good luck with whatever you purchase. Drones are addictive!

I have never used a Chromebook. I have been a computer tech since 1994. Kind of went with Microsoft as I developed a hate for Apple II in college. This is the first computer we learned to work on and program.. I know they have come a long way, I have an Ipad 1 and an Ipod 4th and 7th gen. But My main computer(s) are all intel based.

The Yuneec Breeze 4K might also be an even less expensive step into a 4K outdoor quad. It’s not a Q500 but is much more portable and a good next step forward. Even if you wind up with a Q500 or Parrot Anafi down the road, the Breeze would still be a useful part of your fleet. You can find the Breeze for under $150 through reputable sellers on deals.ebay.com pretty regularly.

Looking for purchase advice, please.

I gifted myself a Tello at Christmas and now I have the drone bug. I haven't really been flying my Tello very much. Mainly due to the weather, but also due to the fact that I just can't get used to controlling it via my phone. I'd rather use a physical remote controller.

I do not have the budget right now to get a Mavic Air or Mavic Pro. I don't really even have the budget to pick up a Spark. I really want something that I can just play around with and get used to flying.

Someone on Reddit mentioned getting a Yuneec Q500. I've seen a few on eBay for around $300-$350ish. It would be quite a while before I would have the funds available to go out and get a Mavic. I know $300 isn't a big thing for a lot of people, but for me, I have to make a very educated decision before investing $300. At least it's $300 and not $1,000!

I've seen several similar posts on eBay. Would you feel comfortable getting one of these off of eBay?

Yuneec Q500 2K Typhoon YUNQ51SBRTFUS-B Drone RTF, Alum Case, ST10+ ,G02+ CAM | eBay

Thank you :)
Spending 5 u$, you can get TelloFPV app, that allows you to control your Tello with near any USB gamepad, using an OTG cable.
And you will get a Loooooot of additional functionality, and incredible support from the developer...
You can test de DEMO version previous spending those 5 bucks...

The Yuneec Breeze 4K might also be an even less expensive step into a 4K outdoor quad. It’s not a Q500 but is much more portable and a good next step forward. Even if you wind up with a Q500 or Parrot Anafi down the road, the Breeze would still be a useful part of your fleet. You can find the Breeze for under $150 through reputable sellers on deals.ebay.com pretty regularly.

Hey Scott.

Thank you for the suggestion. I had actually thought of returning my Tello and getting a Breeze back when I was still within the return window. Now I'm way past the return window. I know that the Breeze does have more features and functions than the Tello, but I think at this point it would be better for me to put the $150 towards something else versus getting a Breeze.

Today it's a very beautiful 63 degree day with high winds. We have a "Wind Advisory" to expect winds of 25-35 MPH with gusts up to 50 MPH. I guess no drone flying for me today. :(

On a side note. Is it true that there will be a required aeronautical knowledge and safety test requirement even for hobbyists beginning in April? Maybe it would be best that I get a drone prior to April 1st.

You can get the (very big) Mi Drone 4k for around 250$ on Ebay. It has quite good specs. Or get the Fimi X8 SE. It's also from Xiaomi, but it's more compact. It is actually a very very good Mavic clone and costs around 400$ if you are lucky, as it is brand new, so you probably won't find one on ebay.

If I understand you right you have little / no experience with a GPS / VPS controlled drone.
You have a great little trainer quad that you have flown very little but you are thinking of getting some bigger quad. And you are tight on money...

Why not stick with the tello and use it to the fullest, while saving for the next larger drone. First you'd make best use of the investment you have already made. You'd learn a lot. You'd have enough time to get experience, and learn what you want / need from the next drone. You'd have more time to make an educated decision. And you'd have time to save enough to fund this decision.

Plus you will actually be able to fly the larger drone without (or fewer) crashes. Tello can survive more severe impacts than any gimbal drone. Crashing a Spark even slightly might cost way more than your Tello, and you'd be grounded for a long time.

So my advice: Fly Tello until you grow out of it instead of spending money that you don't have on a quad that you aren't sure is the right thing and that you don't have the experience to fly!

Do not buy further accessories for Tello but just fly the drone to get a feel for flying. If you want a real controller check your drawers for any wired or bluetooth gamepad, or maybe the enxt fleamarket / craigslist. aTello App has a few small issues and not the best video quality but its free and supports some external controllers.

Last edited:
Cool little drone.
but how braindead do these folks have to be to make a drone that is 258gr when half the world has rules that privilege <250gr drones...
Take off the rubber bits, so it goes down to 249 grams. ??

If I understand you right you have little / no experience with a GPS / VPS controlled drone.
You have a great little trainer quad that you have flown very little but you are thinking of getting some bigger quad. And you are tight on money...

Why not stick with the tello and use it to the fullest, while saving for the next larger drone. First you'd make best use of the investment you have already made. You'd learn a lot. You'd have enough time to get experience, and learn what you want / need. You'd have more time to make an educated decision. And you'd have time to save enough to fund this decision.

Plus you will actually be able to fly the larger drone without (or fewer) crashes. Tello can survive more severe impacts than any gimbal drone. Crashing a Spark even slightly might cost way more than your Tello, and you'd be grounded for a long time.

So my advice: Fly Tello until you grow out of it instead of spending money that you don't have on a quad that you aren't sure is the right thing and that you don't have the experience to fly!

Do not buy further accessories for Tello but just fly the drone to get a feel for flying. If you want a real controller check your drawers for any wired or bluetooth gamepad, or maybe the enxt fleamarket / craigslist. aTello App has a few small issues and not the best video quality but its free and supports some external controllers.

Excellent advice from @volate!lo

Let yourself be advised. I've been flying more expensive model planes and quadcopters for years. Believe me, it's hard to find a quad so well designed as our beloved Tello. It's cheap, sturdy, safe and fun.

Raul.

E...it's hard to find a quad so well designed as our beloved Tello. It's cheap, sturdy, safe and fun...

Amen.
Bigger & better isn't always more fun, unless you have particular use cases in mind which Tello can't serve.

I can fly 2 batteries before the guy with the Inspire has finished setting up - and I can fly in place where he'd trigger the sudden arrival of a SWAT team.

Reactions: raulvolador

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv