Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Increasing flight time for tello drone..

Achin

Reaction score
How about putting 3.7v 2000mah lipo battery to increase flight time .I am going to do this on my tello..What you all think about it guys?Any suggestions or advice are welcome.

Last edited:
Reactions: Candido
What is the capacity of the normal Tello battery?
Never mind, I'll check the manual
[...checks PDF online...]
Current Tello battery is a 3.8 V 1100mAh battery.

I know mAh is the battery's capacity so it sounds like you could double the flight time.

But I assume the new battery would be almost twice as heavy as the regular battery so the trade off on motor wear and tear and excess juice needed to fly with the added weight would factor that down, just don't know by how much.

Either way, please share the battery you purchase and how you connect and secure it to the Tello!

Reactions: Zeno and LELET81
What is the capacity of the normal Tello battery?
Never mind, I'll check the manual
[...checks PDF online...]
Current Tello battery is a 3.8 V 1100mAh battery.

I know mAh is the battery's capacity so it sounds like you could double the flight time.

But I assume the new battery would be almost twice as heavy as the regular battery so the trade off on motor wear and tear and excess juice needed to fly with the added weight would factor that down, just don't know by how much.

Either way, please share the battery you purchase and how you connect and secure it to the Tello!
I will show the battery i have bought but as it is in transit i will give you all dimensions and weight as soon as I get it.

Reactions: Zeno
It should work well, tello have been reported to be able to carry quite a bit of extra weight?
Nope,it is not that type of drone which can carry extra weight (I HAVE SEEN SOMEONE PLACING LEGO TOY ON TOP OF THE DRONE BUT THEY DON'T WEIGHT TOO MUCH)but I will figure out how to replace the original battery weight with the customized battery weight and not giving extra load to tello which helps to increase it's flight time. Wish me a luck friend.

Reactions: Zeno
Nope,it is not that type of drone which can carry extra weight (I HAVE SEEN SOMEONE PLACING LEGO TOY ON TOP OF THE DRONE BUT THEY DON'T WEIGHT TOO MUCH)but I will figure out how to replace the original battery weight with the customized battery weight and not giving extra load to tello which helps to increase it's flight time. Wish me a luck friend.

I have seen extra camera equip with its own cell on top of a tello flying before so i think you will be quite surprised, tell9 does have a good amount of thrust imo, with the extra battery power motor upgrades could be on the table?

I have seen extra camera equip with its own cell on top of a tello flying before so i think you will be quite surprised, tell9 does have a good amount of thrust imo, with the extra battery power motor upgrades could be on the table?
Yeah tello can carry heavy objects just do it...im also curious for that 2k lithium battery

Reactions: Achin
It is....10mins with extra decoration on my tello

Attachments

• IMG_20180830_222724.jpg
    IMG_20180830_222724.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 113
  • IMG_20180830_222632.jpg
    IMG_20180830_222632.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 104
Update:-I have got the battery but by comparing it with the tello battery it is somewhat bigger.Though i will fix it on my tello drone.

Attachments

• ae_1536300027556.jpg
    ae_1536300027556.jpg
    307.2 KB · Views: 103
Reactions: Kal Guren and Tuba
I have done lift testing for the tello. I got a strobe light from Firehouse strobes and mounted it on top of it so if I lost it in the trees or high grass it could be found easier.
The strobe weights 4 grams. It lifts it fine like it's not there. The lift test results were 38 grams right out of the box stock. I would safely say you could lift 20 to 25 grams and still have good control. The draw back is extra wear on those little motors. The increase of flight time might not be as much as you think due to the extra current the motor will draw to create the lift pressure you need to fly.
It will be a good test. Have fun.

Original Tello battery has 4 pins and only one of pin is + rail based on my measurement. So I suppose one is - and other 2 are some communication channels, what means that there is some circuit inside battery. But you can still replace battery itself and keep original circuit, but it will cost you one original battery.
Also take in mind C-rating of battery, I suppose it should be atleast 10C.
I think it will not be easy task to create alternative battery pack. It also explaining why there are no clones of battery available on aliexpress.

A few days ago I flew in Sport mode with wind at 12 km per hour and landing with still 17% of the battery .. covering a distance of 2009.2 meters. 12:06 minutes flight time result with original battery. (battery with about 20 cycles) I think it is already a good result!
I say this because I saw the tello in hovering with only 10/11 minutes with the battery less than 10%
Usually I land when I reach 15/20% and I always put the batteries in storage at 3.80 / 3.85 volts / c have a minimum of care of our batteries, they will give us excellent results.
Screenshot_2020-05-31-12-15-50.png

There is a 1800mah battery they make. I would like to know how long it lasts. I alredy get a full 13 minits from 100% to 9% on landing it would be amazing to get 20 minits

Last edited:
I dont see why we cant power such a small. low powered device. Using dc to dc upscale conversion and some form of power generation like EME, solar, thermolitic or even maybe photovoltaic. I like the idea of using the interference of other radio waves to produce energy.

I dont see why we cant power such a small. low powered device. Using dc to dc upscale conversion and some form of power generation like EME, solar, thermolitic or even maybe photovoltaic. I like the idea of using the interference of other radio waves to produce energy.

"Oh ye seekers after perpetual motion, how many vain chimeras have you pursued? Go and take your place with the alchemists."
— Leonardo da Vinci

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv