Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Introducing... TelloTerm

SMerrony

Reaction score
This should appeal to the geeks amongst us.
ScreenShot.png

This replaces my (too difficult to install) tello-desktop apps for GNU/Linux, probably Mac, and possibly Windows.

It has far fewer dependencies - you could call it 'pure go' I suppose - so should be much easier to get running.

You can find instructions and the code at SMerrony/telloterm

There is a video feed available, flight control from the keyboard, and optional joystick support.

Last edited:
I tried to install this, but ran into this:

Code:
go get github.com/SMerrony/telloterm
# github.com/SMerrony/telloterm
go/src/github.com/SMerrony/telloterm/telloterm.go:323:11: drone.StartSmartVideo undefined (type tello.Tello has no field or method StartSmartVideo)
go/src/github.com/SMerrony/telloterm/telloterm.go:456:58: newFd.BatteryMilliVolts undefined (type tello.FlightData has no field or method BatteryMilliVolts)
go/src/github.com/SMerrony/telloterm/telloterm.go:458:51: newFd.MVO undefined (type tello.FlightData has no field or method MVO)
go/src/github.com/SMerrony/telloterm/telloterm.go:459:51: newFd.MVO undefined (type tello.FlightData has no field or method MVO)
go/src/github.com/SMerrony/telloterm/telloterm.go:460:51: newFd.MVO undefined (type tello.FlightData has no field or method MVO)
go/src/github.com/SMerrony/telloterm/telloterm.go:462:47: newFd.MVO undefined (type tello.FlightData has no field or method MVO)
go/src/github.com/SMerrony/telloterm/telloterm.go:463:47: newFd.MVO undefined (type tello.FlightData has no field or method MVO)
go/src/github.com/SMerrony/telloterm/telloterm.go:464:47: newFd.MVO undefined (type tello.FlightData has no field or method MVO)
go/src/github.com/SMerrony/telloterm/telloterm.go:466:47: newFd.IMU undefined (type tello.FlightData has no field or method IMU)
go/src/github.com/SMerrony/telloterm/telloterm.go:467:47: newFd.IMU undefined (type tello.FlightData has no field or method IMU)
go/src/github.com/SMerrony/telloterm/telloterm.go:467:47: too many errors

@FlandersNed - you need to update your tello package.

Something like go get -u GitHub.com/SMerrony/tello should do it.
This did fix that issue, thank you. However, I'm now getting this when I try to build the go file:

Code:
go build telloterm.go
# command-line-arguments
./telloterm.go:199:3: undefined: printJoystickHelp
./telloterm.go:203:3: undefined: listJoysticks
./telloterm.go:207:17: undefined: setupJoystick
./telloterm.go:210:3: undefined: readJoystick
./telloterm.go:268:6: undefined: readJoystick

Although I feel that this may be due to how 'import' is set up (in that it does not have the full directory.) Can you confirm this?

Reactions: adr94
This did fix that issue, thank you. However, I'm now getting this when I try to build the go file:

Code:
go build telloterm.go
# command-line-arguments
./telloterm.go:199:3: undefined: printJoystickHelp
./telloterm.go:203:3: undefined: listJoysticks
./telloterm.go:207:17: undefined: setupJoystick
./telloterm.go:210:3: undefined: readJoystick
./telloterm.go:268:6: undefined: readJoystick

Although I feel that this may be due to how 'import' is set up (in that it does not have the full directory.) Can you confirm this?

Same problem here on MAC. I don't know how to make it work :(

Go 101 - just type go build

Nothing else.
Thanks again for the help. It built successfully this time, and the program works.

After a little bit of using the interface when flying, this happens:
help.png
(I've covered the directory name with blue, but it's basically home/my_name/go/src... etc.)
After this happens, text input within CLI becomes invisible. If the drone is flying at the time, it continues to do so until (physically) stopped; the light flashes on the front, as well (which makes me think it something to do with losing connection.)

Additionally, when taking a photo, sometimes an 'unexpected message from tello' error comes up, and not all images save.

Last edited:
Glad you got it working.

Re. the panic - I've got a fix for that error (and another similar one) which seems to be caused by the Tello misreporting a message length...

Re. the photos - I've noticed that too. Sometime the Tello seems to refuse a 'take picture' request and I haven't worked out why yet.

Reactions: FlandersNed
I would like to see something like this project on Python. Seriously, how I suppose to integrate all my Python dev/libraries to GoLang??

I have a little question about keyboard control, in your Github page you wrote:

Use the -keyhelp option to see the keyboard control mappings. Be aware that in keyboard mode Tello motion continues until you counteract it, or stop the Tello with the space bar.

What do you mean by stop the Tello? Does it mean stop completely a.k.a. turned off/auto-landing, or stop as in stays mid air/last position? Just afraid I might crash my Tello to the wall by not being aware of this warning. ;)

Thank you. :)

Hello,

I'm on Mac, the program works but my ps4 controller don't. I typed : -jsid 0 -jstype DualShock4

Thx for the help,

@adr94

I don't have a Mac, so I can't test on that platform.

It certainly seems wrong that the Name is showing blank on the output of -jslist.

Telloterm uses the joystick package from simulatedsimian/joystick - so maybe you can get some help from there?

Let us know how you get on.

@adr94

I don't have a Mac, so I can't test on that platform.

It certainly seems wrong that the Name is showing blank on the output of -jslist.

Telloterm uses the joystick package from simulatedsimian/joystick - so maybe you can get some help from there?

Let us know how you get on.

It works but...
I did a : go get git on simulatedsimian/joystick but the mapping of the DualShock is wrong. Can't fly the drone this way.

Thx for the help,

If you send me the mapping details (i.e. which stick is which # axis, which button has what number) I can add a mapping for the Mac to telloterm.

Hello SMerrony, Thank you for your implimentation of telloTerm.

AFIK yours is the only one that allows for taking pictures which is my main goal as a user.
but... did you ever figure out why tello chooses not to .TakePicture?
every time I attempt this, terminal responds with:
(timeStamp) Take Picture echoed with response: <[0]>

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks, Rob.

Hello SMerrony, Thank you for your implimentation of telloTerm.

AFIK yours is the only one that allows for taking pictures which is my main goal as a user.
but... did you ever figure out why tello chooses not to .TakePicture?
every time I attempt this, terminal responds with:
(timeStamp) Take Picture echoed with response: <[0]>

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks, Rob.
Hi Zantarob, i have the same behavior and i'm managing to attempt fix this; in case i'll advice asap; i can tell you that in the menwhile you may capture the video stream and get picts from there...
Cheers, GSS

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv