Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Loss of WIFI signal at 15 meters Altitude

syedmonis

Reaction score
Guys i am new to this forum and have been using a Tello for a couple of months now. I have removed the height limiter from 10 meters to 30 meters but every time i fly my Tello the signal from my Phone drops after the drone has attained the height of 15 meters. I have not used any range extender yet but would like to know is it common or something is wrong with my Phone/Drone signal. 15.1 meters is the max height i have achieved without the wifi extender. Is it way too less without an extender or its normal. By the way i am using Google Pixel 2XL phone just in case anyone wants to know more. Would really like some help regarding the same here. By the way if i use an extender will i reach the max height of 30 meters or not and if in future updates the max height limiter is set at 50 meters will the extender work for such a height.

Guys i am new to this forum and have been using a Tello for a couple of months now. I have removed the height limiter from 10 meters to 30 meters but every time i fly my Tello the signal from my Phone drops after the drone has attained the height of 15 meters. I have not used any range extender yet but would like to know is it common or something is wrong with my Phone/Drone signal. 15.1 meters is the max height i have achieved without the wifi extender. Is it way too less without an extender or its normal. By the way i am using Google Pixel 2XL phone just in case anyone wants to know more. Would really like some help regarding the same here. By the way if i use an extender will i reach the max height of 30 meters or not and if in future updates the max height limiter is set at 50 meters will the extender work for such a height.
Can't comment about direct connection of your smartphone to the Tello.
But can show you that I'm able to reach 30 meters with the Xiaomi extender 2. Don't know with it's able to go above 30 meters, but I don't think so...
40a345254a43f0d337d99b9a1afb2f31.jpg

Enviado de meu SM-N975F usando o Tapatalk

no way to bypass Tello's 30m restriction (except tricks like taking off of a roof)

Tello can do 30m but of course this also depends on the phone. My Samsungs are doing this no problem but ultimately Wifi signal strength depends on a lot of factors.

First you should not fly directly above your head. Thats the weakest spot for most antennas, including the one used in Tello and most likely your phone.
Fly at least as far away as you want to go (30m away if you want to go 30m high)

Try to hold the phone in different way and positions positions. Quality of a wifi link depends on direction of both antennas in relation to each other. Don't hold the phone flat, thats the weakest reception.
Maybe the way you are holding it shields the antennas with your hands.

Your phone's antenna could be weak, or maybe it was repaired and someone forgot to re-do one of the connectors. Or you are using a phone case. Or you have wet hands. or....

Plenty of reasons. If I think about it I could find 20 or more reasons why something works for me but fails for you

In addition to that what volatel!o wrote switch your phone into flight mode to reduce interrupting signals like other WiFi's. And you can use an OTG-connection to the controller.
Please keep in mind that originally the height was limited to 10m. Means, Ryze guarantees this height. Everyting above this haves a little risk that it is too much in some situations.

I flew my drone ten metres up in the air, and it lost connection and started landing! I thought the max height was 30metres.

I flew my drone ten metres up in the air, and it lost connection and started landing! I thought the max height was 30metres.
Most likely affected by high levels of 2.4ghz radio (wifi and bluetooth). Go to a field and try the same. It can also be down to the chipset and wifi ariel in your phone. Some are better than others.

Reactions: Ibraheem Ughradar

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv