Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Making Fun Video with Tello is a Walk in the Park-

Santiago

Reaction score
I have so much with Tello, from ripping top speed, long range, LOS night sessions, to shooting fun video on a walk at the park with my bestest.

I dig the fine control offered by the Taranis X-Lite, in combination with TelloFPV app, on display in this video. Please feel free to ask any questions. I'm happy to provide further details about this flight, the equipment used, software, sources for free music for editing, or anything else about how I enjoy Tello. Cheers, friends!

And here is the uncut version, one continuous shot. I added the audio track on my phone, and started the upload as we left the park.

Your Tello looks like in decent shape: No jello, so your Props and motor shafts are OK.
What I can see is: You use TelloFpv, your IFrame interval is 3 seconds and it looks like 3. Or maybe 4 Mbps. Controller is USB OTG

Very smooth control with the Tarranis!

Can you please explain your setup for taranis x-lite to phone over USB otg.

Your Tello looks like in decent shape: No jello, so your Props and motor shafts are OK.
What I can see is: You use TelloFpv, your IFrame interval is 3 seconds and it looks like 3. Or maybe 4 Mbps. Controller is USB OTG

Very smooth control with the Tarranis!
It was set to whatever the default settings your app are. I've never changed them. Maybe it's time to start playing.. I welcome suggestions.

It was set to whatever the default settings your app are. I've never changed them. Maybe it's time to start playing.. I welcome suggestions.
Since you are in a very quiet setting and not going long distances you should switch to 4mbps, and try extended iframe period of 4 to 6 seconds.

Reactions: Fari
Does it make sense to choose iframe to high levels like 10 to 15 seconds? How it will affect video quality results?

Only if you have a "perfect" wifi link. That is rural area, wifi extender, nobody with a bluetooth device nearby, etc

Then you may be lucky and get a perfect shot.
Iframes introduce little stutter and some blurriness in the video. So you want as few as possible. At intervals of maybe 6 seconds nobody really notices these little stutters anymore. At 1 second intervals they are very noticeable.

But: If there is a damage to the video stream from a dropped wifi packet that goes unnoticed you may experience jitter on the screen until the next IFrame is requested. With a 10 sec. IFrame interval this can be annoying, with a 1 second IFrame interval such damage is cleared quickly.

So its all about balance.

If there was "one perfect setting" was easy I would not make this configurable but just fix the perfect setting...

Reactions: Sagvan82
Can you please explain your setup for taranis x-lite to phone over USB otg.
Hey, my man. I wont have time to give my reply the attention it might need. Let's do this.. Here is a link to my Joystick model .bin file, fresh from my X-Lite. Check it out, study it up, and if you have questions about it, or if for some reason it doesn't work for you, I can help more on Sunday. Thanks for understanding. Good luck!

Hey, my man. I wont have time to give my reply the attention it might need. Let's do this.. Here is a link to my Joystick model .bin file, fresh from my X-Lite. Check it out, study it up, and if you have questions about it, or if for some reason it doesn't work for you, I can help more on Sunday. Thanks for understanding. Good luck!

Please post how to control tello with Taranis XLite . I have the T1d for the tello but it sucks.. want to use my X Lite.
Thanks in advance for your time.
Cheers!

Please post how to control tello with Taranis XLite . I have the T1d for the tello but it sucks.. want to use my X Lite.
Thanks in advance for your time.
Cheers!

Sure. I'll link the new thread here when I have it up. I'll include parts/instructions for a detachable, adjustable phone/screen/lanyard mount as well.

Configuring OpenTX for Tello was trial and error for me, largely because it was my first time using it. I'll break down some of the theory behind the config, but will still recommend using the .bin file I've shared above. It saves you a lot of effort. Starting with that, you can explore the various menus, and see what went into creating it. I'll be happy to answer any specific questions you may come up with when exploring it. I believe you can just drop the .bin file into the MODELS (sub?)folder on your SD card.

Someone versed in OpenTX would probably cruise through the effort, but I spent a couple days researching, and trialing. The result though, is control of Tello that is unmatched. I flew around 10 different control methods, on iOS and Android, extensively before arriving at the X-Lite. I already owned one, so I was excited to find that it supports joystick mode, and TelloFPV supports joysticks/gamepads.

I'll try to get the thread up by Monday. If you 're feeling antsy, and have a long OTG cable, throw the .bin file above onto your sd card, power up the x-lite, select the model named Joystick, and connect it with OTG cable to your phone/device running TelloFPV. Configure the controller settings of the app, then throw the device in a shirt pocket and you should be able to fly. I like to map take off/land to the furthest left switch on the X-Lite, and toggle Video/Sport modes with the furthest right. LOS only, obviously, but you'll get a feel for the sticks, and they feel great.

x-lite_tello.jpg

Sure. I'll link the new thread here when I have it up. I'll include parts/instructions for a detachable, adjustable phone/screen/lanyard mount as well.

Configuring OpenTX for Tello was trial and error for me, largely because it was my first time using it. I'll break down some of the theory behind the config, but will still recommend using the .bin file I've shared above. It saves you a lot of effort. Starting with that, you can explore the various menus, and see what went into creating it. I'll be happy to answer any specific questions you may come up with when exploring it. I believe you can just drop the .bin file into the MODELS (sub?)folder on your SD card.

Someone versed in OpenTX would probably cruise through the effort, but I spent a couple days researching, and trialing. The result though, is control of Tello that is unmatched. I flew around 10 different control methods, on iOS and Android, extensively before arriving at the X-Lite. I already owned one, so I was excited to find that it supports joystick mode, and TelloFPV supports joysticks/gamepads.

I'll try to get the thread up by Monday. If you 're feeling antsy, and have a long OTG cable, throw the .bin file above onto your sd card, power up the x-lite, select the model named Joystick, and connect it with OTG cable to your phone/device running TelloFPV. Configure the controller settings of the app, then throw the device in a shirt pocket and you should be able to fly. I like to map take off/land to the furthest left switch on the X-Lite, and toggle Video/Sport modes with the furthest right. LOS only, obviously, but you'll get a feel for the sticks, and they feel great.

View attachment 3948
Santiago - any luck posting any more info on the with XLite?
Also the parts list for your parts/instructions for a detachable, adjustable phone/screen/lanyard mount as well - it look great!

Thanks in advance - will try the joystick file ....

Okay, you'll end up with some extra parts, but to me that's not a bad thing. Feel free to hunt around and substitute parts you may prefer. For example, you may already have your own preference for the phone mount, or may find one while browsing. If you find cheaper or more efficient parts packages, perhaps you'd share your links here.

2 - Straight Joints, Long
1 - Small Extension Arm (the smallest of the three in this package)
1 - Threaded Quick Release Mount
1 - Buckle Clip Base (from same kit ) My clip base is an official GoPro part, with about 1/2" rise
1 - 1/4 Inch to Prong Adapter (same kit)
1 - 1/4 Inch Threaded Phone Mount - This one folds flat, but it's unecessary in this application because I never disassemble the arm. Here's cheaper alternative, shipped from USA instead of China.
1 - PC Case Thumb Screw (usually have one in a pocket, or on the floor near me)
4 - M5 X 20mm Socket Head Cap Screw (local hardware store)
1 - 1" or 1 1/4" Key Ring or Thick Silicone O Ring
VHB Tape (.04"/~1mm thick) - The stuff I used
Hot Glue
Tools

20190621_222909.jpg20190621_222918.jpg20190621_222928.jpg20190621_222937.jpg20190621_222951.jpg20190621_223006.jpg20190621_223019.jpg20190621_223030.jpg20190621_223050.jpg

If you have any questions, I'll try to answer them asap.

Cheers!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv