Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Mavic Air vs. Tello

sfs-archery

Reaction score
Website
sfs-archery.de
I have now made experience with the tello. I can imagine buying a bigger threat later. I am currently looking at the DJI Mavic Air.

The technical differences are easy to read. But how does it look in practical everyday life? What are the biggest advantages of Mavic Air over Tello in everyday life?
My points which I think I have found so far
# on-board video recording (no Frame dropping)
# GPS stabilized (better flight performanced outdoor)
# Gimbal stabilized camera / 4k video (better video Quality)
# higher max. transmission range
# brushless Motors (better lifetime)

Anything missed?

Regards
sfs-archery

Last edited:
If you are considering the Mavic Air. Consider spending $200 more and getting the Mavic Pro. It's that much better. Yes, the camera on the Air is better, but I'll take occusync over wifi any day of the week.

I'm sure you can get one for less in the second hand market, since people are selling their old mavics for the newer mavic 2 pro/zoom.

Thanks for the comment. Mavic Pro is a choice, but not at the moment. The reason is the weight. I will took the drone with me when i go 3D archery. I would like to keep the extra weight as small as possible. And the weight difference between the air and the pro i do not like.

What about the Spark? It isn't 4K, but it's the smallest drone available in the almost professional drone market. In reality the difference between the air and the pro isn't that much. Where you can place them inside a small bag. As for the weight. It's true. The Pro is 60% heavier than the Air, but the Spark is 40% lighter.

Mavic-Air-and-Mavic-Pro-and-Spark-folded-1024x580.png

Here is a comparison of the 3.

I must say. Out of the 3, I do like the design of the Mavic Air. If you do end up getting that one. Make sure you get the controller. Range is extended from a few feet to 3 miles with the controller.

I do not own a Tello yet but I do own the M1P, M2P and the Air. All 3 have great cameras. Currently the Mavic 1 Pro is a great deal for what people are selling them for. The Pro uses Occusync for control & media transmission. It is spectacular. It also has long flight times, the Spark & Air have the shortest flight times. The Air & Spark use standard wifi connections. Also, the Air is "whiney" loud in flight, the loudest of the three. The Mavic Pro 1 & 2 connect wirelessly with the DJI goggles too, so no cords to deal with. Fly with them or take a friend for a ride. You can get a lightly used M1P with extras (like batteries) for $600 or less. Check out the classifieds in the Mavic Pilots site.

Reactions: Ansia
Thanks for the comments. I decided not to buy one the next months. I will wait until the new drone rules that will be established in 2019 inside the EU. There are several weight limits in decission with then different rules for the Pilot.
At the Moment my favorits are the mavic air and the spark because of the weight. and the weight is a very important issue for me. The mavic pro Looks very good, but i do not think that i will be happy with the weight of this drone.
regards
sfs-archery

If EU is making their new law using US law as a comparison, then all DJI drones will fall into the same category, where you have to register your drone if it weighs from 249 grams to 24,947 grams as recreational or commercial. If it weighs more than the 24,947, then it’s another category, but I am not familiar about the rules there. Also if you wish to fly commercially, then you are required to be certified under part 107. After Oct 5, 2018 there was a new law passed, where everyone has to have some sort of certification to fly, due to the constant disregard of safety of UAV pilots in the airspace. They have yet to implement this new law, so time will only tell if it’s the same certification as commercial pilots or a simpler one.

I am part 107 certified.

it looks like that the weight Limits will be (for the "open"-class i am loooking for)
# <250 gramms
# Between 250gramm and 900gramm
# <4kg
Press text: EASA publishes the first Opinion on safe drone operations in Europe | EASA
In discussion: https://www.easa.europa.eu/sites/default/files/dfu/Opinion No 01-2018.pdf

http://dronerules.eu/assets/covers/Dronerules-table-2.png

I aim at the open C1 class (Between 250 and 900 gramms because then i have only to register and pass a test
https://www.drohnen.de/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/drohnen-klasse-c1.png

Tello will be C0 class :) (no registration, no test)
https://www.drohnen.de/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/drohnen-klasse-c0.png

regards
sfs-archery

Then you are set with the Mavic Air or Mavic Pro. These are 430g and 734g respectively. As for the test, it’s pretty much standard across the world. You can visit www.faa.gov/uas and read a little about the test over in the US. I highly doubt it it EU’s test will deviate much from that, since airspace laws are the same all over the world.

I read some of it. Everything except the weight class is about the same as in the US.

Reactions: sfs-archery
The Mavic Pro and the Air and the Spark are in the range. But i will take the drone with me when i am doing sports. (3D Archery)
And there i like less weight as possible. Thats why the Mavic Air is my favorite, even when the Mavic pro looks very good.
Additional i will fly inside forest. So i thin the anti-collisions system of the mavic air would be good. I do not like to crash the drone into a tree,...

Also consider flight time. The times DJI give are in laboratory conditions. In reality you will get around 80% of what they claim. From my experience, don’t rely im the anti-collision system. Yes it is nice to have, but from my $1,500 loss experience, you are safer having visual line of sight at all times and keep a big marging between the drone and the obstacle. You never know what factors may come into play and make your drone crash.

Also consider flight time. The times DJI give are in laboratory conditions. In reality you will get around 80% of what they claim. From my experience, don’t rely im the anti-collision system. Yes it is nice to have, but from my $1,500 loss experience, you are safer having visual line of sight at all times and keep a big marging between the drone and the obstacle. You never know what factors may come into play and make your drone crash.
Thanks or the comment. I will keep it in my mind.
I will ltry to take some Videos wit hthe small tello when i am doing 3D archery the next time. I think this experience will help me make a better decision.

Here is an amusing video of drones being crashed. As you will notice, most crashes are done by pilot negligence and not being aware of their surroundings.

Reactions: sfs-archery
If you are careful, you will be fine. Just remember that the Tello and any other DJI drone is like driving a Yugo vs a Ferrari. The handling, breaking and speed is completely different.

Edit: I wasn't fair to the Tello. Make it a Corolla.

Reactions: Jujo Fab

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv