Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Mods for longer distance indoor exploration

UrbexFlyer

Reaction score
I'm saving up for a cheap 3d printer to mod my tello for exploring tunnels, abandoned buildings, and places that I can't access on foot due to legality or physical barriers. Here's what I think I'll need:

-On-board wifi extender, potentially combined with an on-ground extender to punch through concrete walls.

-Roll cage so tello always lands right side up after a crash, in case I can't get to it to flip it over.

-Much better battery to compensate for added weight and the need for longer flight time.

-Lights to increase flight stability in low light conditions.

I'm open to doing a major rebuild with a printed frame and just using tello for guts if I need to. What am I missing? What suggestions do you all have for parts? Is this even a feasible project?

Reactions: Mnievas
I am working on something similar, but my idea is to make the drone autonomous, so the connection part is not important.
I would start by improving the batteries, since without that you can not achieve much flight time (and therefore you can not add more hardware)

Sorry to break it to you but I don't think a tello would be a perfect platform for your project, motors are just too small and weak to carry bigger batteries and extra equipment and the wifi connectivity is too sensitive to interference. You may be expending a lot of money than starting from scratch on a custom build.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
97bugsinthecode