Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Multiple Computers Connected to a Tello Drone via Wi-fi Cannot See Eachother

MarcoDotIO

Reaction score
As the title implies, I'm having issues with computer communicating over the Wi-fi from the Tello drone. Pinging the drone from either computer works, as in packets are received and sent; however, trying to ping the computers to each other brings an unreachable host. I am wanting to get this connection done for use with ROS / ROS Sharp. Has anyone had this issue before; and if so, what are the main solutions involved? Also please let me know if you guys need additional details about my setup, I'd be more than happy to provide them.

tello's AP doesn't forward packets between connected clients.
You can use a wifi extender, so the extender connects to tello, and the clients connect to the extender.

Reactions: MarcoDotIO
You can use a wifi extender, so the extender connects to tello, and the clients connect to the extender.
As the extender simply bridges the AP of Tello (which does not forward packages) - are you sure that packets will be forwarded between clients?
1) What wifi extender do you recommend?

I use this one but currently it seems to be unavailable: Lychee VAP11S Wireless Mini Bridge Dongle für Industrie und Leben: Amazon.de: Computer & Zubehör

Depends on the extender/repeater.
Repeaters just re-broadcast tellos wifi and won't forward packages between clients.
Extenders are different. They connect to tello's wifi with an SSID like 'tello' create their own wifi network like "tello_ext" which the clients connect to. These extenders do allow communication between multiple clients, though there may be a setting to disable this.

When connected via extender Tellofpv android is able to re-broadcast video and telemetry to several other phones running 'tellofpv copilot'. So I can confirm this works.
This feature isn't available for iOS as i turned out to be a bit too complex for the average user.

1) What wifi extender do you recommend?
2) How would I go about connecting the Tello Drone directly to it?

I have the white Xiaomi extender, a xiaomi nano youth router and the WIFI +S referenced in the forum a few times. All Work well but they have all been discontinued long ago.
Check the forum and Facebook for more recent recommendations. There are several YT videos how to set it all up.

Reactions: gotdrone

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv