Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

My headlights/turn signals are hella clean!

Parts list please.
And how did you solve the power supply (looks very neat with the cables inside)?
How much weight did you add with this mod?

Um....just the leds of an old junked bugs 3, some solder, superglue, an exacto knife, and a real steady hand. This isn’t for the faint of heart.

Wanna know what I did? I soldered the leds right on top of the motor connections, so every time a motor draws current , it’s corresponding light gets brighter. Duh! Tucked the wires away, cut away the corners of the shell to route ‘em out, glued them to the arms and viola!(that’s pronounced “wall-ah” for those whose English ain’t so good).
Still holds position fine, flips in every direction, everything works fine. I’m sure I lost a little bit of flight time, but it’s negligable...and I’ve got 4 batteries so who cares?

Now my question is this....I’m no electrical engineer by any stretch of the imagination.....how is it NOBODY else seems to have tried this before me? Seemed like a pretty common since solution to me....the only reason I’ve waited as long as I have was because I wanted to get a new soldering iron before going in, cuz it’s CRAZY tight in there.

Just a quick update. Had to move the front lights towards the middle cuz the prop guards wouldn’t quite snap on (a must have when tormenting my dogs in the house).

Got my little xiaomi WiFi thingamabob (works great, btw) and went on my first “long range” night flight.

Everything worked great and I made it back in one piece.

Anyone find a part number or name that will work for the lights? I’d hate to buy the bugs 3 just to cut it open...

The ugly external lipo problem that existed in my mind.
You don't need an external LiPo, you can suck power directly from Tello's USB port (albeit this implies using some kind of slim USB connector which might still look ugly)....
Just make sure your LEDs are ready to handle 5V, add appropriate resistors if necessary (LED calculator for single LEDs)

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv