Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

My personal range record

John Doe

Reaction score
Feel free to post your own below, along with any tips you may have.

This one was over a golf course in the middle of town, some interference, 14 mph winds. As I'm starting back the Tello loses the signal, drifts over the road, and starts to land, but I moved the repeater and it came back online.

According to Google Earth it flew about 250 meters, or 821 feet.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 75
My tip... If you keep planning on flying long distances, buy a backup Tello or better yet by a Spark or a more capable DJI drone for flying out some distance...

This one was over a golf course in the middle of town, some interference, 14 mph winds. As I'm starting back the Tello loses the signal, drifts over the road, and starts to land, but I moved the repeater and it came back online.

[video removed for brevity]

According to Google Earth it flew about 250 meters, or 821 feet.[/QUOTE]

This is a silly thread, the aTello is to small and slow to play outside. The Tello is the best indoor drone at the $99 price point. If you want to fly outdoors get a Spark or a Breeze.

This is a silly thread, the aTello is to small and slow to play outside. The Tello is the best indoor drone at the $99 price point. If you want to fly outdoors get a Spark or a Breeze.
Totally disagree. Most of my flights have been outside. I've had a couple of hairy moments but at this price point, nothing competes indoors or out.

That's pretty impressive. I've two Tellos and used Wifi Repeater for almost 1 month. I think I'll try longer distance as well.

Just tried my new Xiaomi with my week old Tello and accidentally gave it a distance test. I lost visual but found it using the last frame of video captured 900ft. away! (measured on Google Maps) I don't think I want to go any further.

Personal record around 400m before wifi was lost. Tello hovered and landed safely, i had sent my son with the drone to watch for her landing spot. That was only to find out the safe control distance with my setup.

That is with the extender on roof level, direct line of sight and no wifi sources nearby. Also no wind.

Also i use a different extender than most. Its a xiaomi nano youth, a portable router that can also extend an existing wifi. It has two mimo antenna and obviously excellent sensitivity and power.

The tello is a sweet little drone. I have a couple of other drones including beebop 2 and dobby but this one is special.

Outside w/repeater set to fast. Loads of fun & yes I lost one after only 1 month about 10 months ago. I learned a leson (I hope) & it was worth it. It's become my go to drone.

keep trying. You could go futher.

My personal record is 654 meters (2145 foots). See here: Tello 650 meters range

Little Tello is a big monster ;)

cheers.
You are certainly pushing the limits... thats a long walk and and even longer search if Tello drops connection.

But I'm the first to acknowledge the fun of doing long distance FPV. With Tello this is legal even here (no need for line of sight or spotter with drones below 250gr).

And to the naysayers: I have other drones, both larger and smaller. Tello is the one giving me the most overall fun. Taking legal considerations into account drones above 250gr just aren't much fun anymore. No FPV unless you have a spotter, no FPV beyond line of sight even with spotter, no autopilots or automated flights, no RTH, nothing ...
Of course we can say "I don't care" and that may be OK in rural areas of US, canada, Australi, or some undeveloped country etc but if you live in a densely populated area (or just happen to have one single grumpy neighbour calling the cops) this will only trigger even more restrictive regulations.

Last edited:
Reactions: raulvolador
You are certainly pushing the limits... thats a long walk and and even longer search if Tello drops connection.

But I'm the first to acknowledge the fun of doing long distance FPV. With Tello this is legal even here (no need for line of sight or spotter with drones below 250gr).

And to the naysayers: I have other drones, both larger and smaller. Tello is the one giving me the most overall fun. Taking legal considerations into account drones above 250gr just aren't much fun anymore. No FPV unless you have a spotter, no FPV beyond line of sight even with spotter, no autopilots or automated flights, no RTH, nothing ...
Of course we can say "I don't care" and that may be OK in rural areas of US, canada, Australi, or some undeveloped country etc but if you live in a densely populated area (or just happen to have one single grumpy neighbour calling the cops) this will only trigger even more restrictive regulations.

YOU are pushing the limits of Tello with your very promising software telloFPV.

Thanks a lot for your work.

Raul.

Well said. With Tello well under the 250gr requirements, I am pretty much free to do what i want. When I bought the Tello about 3 months ago (my first drone) I thought I would have a Spark or a Mavic by now. I am actually in no rush now because of this. There is no need for me to upgrade until I want to do more serious and/or commercial video. Plus I need more practice ;) Besides Tello is a blast!

I just got this and already am having a ton of fun. I use it mainly outside and don't really see the need for a wifi extender. It's simply a fun toy. Really fun. If I feel the need to go farther I'll just get a different drone.

Have an iphone but already I'm starting to do some research on longer-range drones. Eyeballing the Mavic Pro 2.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv