Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

My Take on Multi-Tello Drone Formations

Looking at several "Tello Swarming" and "Tello Formation" videos and going through some earlier discussions, I thought about how to get more out of these little gems. After some soldering and programming, this is my take on drone formations:

For those, who are interested in details:

The top-lights are an own development described here: Tello NeoPixel RGBW LED lights add-on, remote controllable, 5g
They are much lighter than the Tello Talent expansion kit and give me more options for animations.

The code controlling the drones is written in Python and controls also the lights and the synchronization of the figures with the music. As a starting point, I used this repository: GitHub - TelloSDK/Multi-Tello-Formation: A Sample Code that implements the formation function of multiple tellos (but it requires massive rework and many extensions).

My software also allows "free style" paths like Lissajous figures by implementing a closed loop using feedback from current position and a PID controller to allocate velocity to each drone in order to follow the path.

One of the big challenges was, to dose the light to the minimum for a better light show experience but to still give enough information to the VPS for position control.

Unfortunately, the position of the recording camera was too much aligned to the height of the drones, so that you loose the offset in depth. So there is still enough room for improvements...
Hello @Hacky , your work looks very great. Could you please share the code for multi-tello swarming that you have used in the video? Your work is fabulous.

Hello @Hacky , your work looks very great. Could you please share the code for multi-tello swarming that you have used in the video? Your work is fabulous.
Thanks, but I do not intend to share all of the code. For those who will try to find a way on their own, I think I provided enough information in this thread as a good starting point.

If you want to book a show (we are planning for 16 Tellos...) you can send a PN.

Here a video from the show at another Event (FlyingLab Gate Event in Munich):

Reactions: BigL

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Repiv