Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

Tello Swarm Applications

Vinimoga

Reaction score
Hello, I work for a drone school in Brazil called Aerofrog. I am trying to make a drone show for our students to make what we called "drone day" for everyone to see content about drones and to see this presentation. The problem is, we tried to use python but have difficulties to do swarm of complex figures with python implementation, so we are trying to find a graphical tool to help us do the swarm flight with the Tello Tallent Drone. We bought 8 of them and have the Tello Mat. We also tried to use a software called TT formation assistant, from oriental navigation but we are having problems on making it work. Do you know any other software we can use?

First, I would take a look at RoboMaster TT - MindPlus wiki

Then, a starting point for further development is GitHub - TelloSDK/Multi-Tello-Formation: A Sample Code that implements the formation function of multiple tellos
First thing is, that you will have to adapt it to Python 3.x (it's still written for Python 2.7).

I do not know a graphical tool that will meet your requirements. You will have to find your own way. Perhaps you can give this a try: GitHub - markwinap/Tello_3D_Mission_Control_NodeJS-JS: DJI TELLO - 3D Mission Control Using Babylon And Server To Send UDP Commands

Reactions: Vinimoga
I agree, The Robomaster TT and Mind+ is the best way to go. Mind+ has a graphic interface that gives you many commands that you need to do a swarm. and formation flying. You may have to look into DFROBERTS, as I think they wrote the Mind+ software and refer to it often. We did give up and went with another company that is kind of specializing in formation flying and light show concepts. Another hint, in mind+ follow the lead page exactly and you will find a link to a Chinese youtube site. Much good stuff there, but in simplified chinses. We got a CRUZ scanner to scan and translate. Google will also translate a limited amount. Many Chinese assets are not put out in English. I have worked with two Chinese companies that did not have good assets to tranlste yo written English.

Reactions: Vinimoga
Hello, I work for a drone school in Brazil called Aerofrog. I am trying to make a drone show for our students to make what we called "drone day" for everyone to see content about drones and to see this presentation. The problem is, we tried to use python but have difficulties to do swarm of complex figures with python implementation, so we are trying to find a graphical tool to help us do the swarm flight with the Tello Tallent Drone. We bought 8 of them and have the Tello Mat. We also tried to use a software called TT formation assistant, from oriental navigation but we are having problems on making it work. Do you know any other software we can use?
Yes, there are several software options available that can assist you in creating swarm flights for your Tello Talent drones. Here are a few alternatives you can consider:

DroneBlocks: DroneBlocks is a graphical programming platform specifically designed for DJI Tello drones. It provides a block-based interface that allows you to create complex flight missions and swarm formations using a drag-and-drop approach. It supports both individual and synchronized swarm flights.

TelloPy: TelloPy is a Python library that provides a straightforward way to control Tello drones. It allows you to write custom scripts in Python to define swarm flight patterns and formations. While it requires coding, it offers more flexibility than the Tello SDK alone.

Mission Planner: Mission Planner is a popular ground control station software primarily designed for ArduPilot-based drones. However, it also supports DJI Tello drones. Mission Planner provides a graphical interface with mission planning capabilities, including swarm flight coordination. It offers advanced features and customization options.

Mission Planner: Mission Planner is a popular ground control station software primarily designed for ArduPilot-based drones. However, it also supports DJI Tello drones. Mission Planner provides a graphical interface with mission planning capabilities, including swarm flight coordination. It offers advanced features and customization options.
First time, I hear about support for Tello in Mission Planner. Further searching shows no further suitable matches. Could you please provide a link where this kind of integration is described or at least mentioned?

We responded to this thread previous . Same school, different teacher. Please read that reply. This is just the first step. A floor map is required probably, and a training session on micro drone flying techniques. We gave up formation with the Tello and switched to Makerfire liteBee FM produced for formation flying with better WiFi management. .I( can send you a training session to fly with 10 drones, to make a circle, star, and crescent. Coding is unique as there is a timing problem also form the transmission signal. The LitBee softwire is free and has a simulator that you can learn with., just substitute the Tello method in your programming. I hope this helps some/. See example on Youtube MECATX. You can aliso have several students pilots fly the formation and forget the coding, as in real life flying. Good luck

Since we are in a Tello forum here, the repeated references to liteBee make little sense.

The fact that someone has not managed to configure the Wifi settings for formations with Tello EDU does not mean that it cannot be done. There are enough examples here to show that it works.

I went a similar route with Mind+ but found you are limited to how many drones you can connect to and regularly had drones 'drop out' (not out of the sky but from the sequence of commands) and the program was pretty unreliable. Also, the swarm tended to work best connected directly to my laptops wifi hotspot but is limited to 10 drones again (I was aiming for 16 drones)
I have been playing with PyCharm for the python programming and have had promising results for reliability (I have only tried 3 on laptop hotspot currently) There are some libraries that allow for multi drone coordination and PyCharm has been the easiest for me and my students (13 - 16 year olds).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atapattu