Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New app: TelloFPV for Android

Does anyone have experience using this on a Chromebook?

I've got it installed on an ASUS Flip, and it works fine, but no video or images can be viewed or saved.

Chromebook are standard for many schools, so getting this working would be great - any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated!

Play store reports about 3000 app sessions per day. So an uneventful flight should be the norm, or I would be swamped with problem reports. (y)

Hello, so here it comes :)

short report from my last few flights with v1.14

Take off - when I launch Tello FPV and press take off button, app shows me message "not licensed" it takes around 10 sec. then I can use it. This happens to me in some previous version, after update it was ok and now with v1.14 it´s back.

Screenrecording
- firstly I would like to add my vote to Rauls idea add a button to video menu for start screenrecord on take off. Maybe it could be usefull if it will stop recording after landing. Same could be applicable for already existing record on take off button.
Occasionally app freezes when stop screenrecording.

Dronie and Boomerang - It works ok till I try to change the speed while Tello goes backwards. It doesn't matter if I try to increase or reduce speed. In the moment I move finger in the joystick field, Tello change it´s direction and start to go forward, continues to climb, the AP still running and speed is always changed to 10% . After that, I can change the speed normally, app shows real distance to go, but AP doesn´t care. I have screenrecord if it can help.

Thank you

Sagvan

Yesterday I was flying with a Gamesir T1S connected via the dongle.
I ban bluetooth connection to avoid disturbing the wifi connection.
I faced twice a lost of control of the Tello.

First one was due to "Ok google" windows popping out by itself, and TelloFPV lost the focus as main windows...
Secund one is still a mistery to me, I had to wait for the battery to run out, and Tello to land by itself. I was unable to get it controlled neither by the controller nor by the onscreen control...

While I doubt TelloFPV is for anything in this problem, I'm questionning if there is a way to prevent the app to loose the focus on the screen and as such lost control with the Tello.

Also, is this issue something that happen to other Tello users?

First one was due to "Ok google" windows popping out by itself, and TelloFPV lost the focus as main windows...
Secund one is still a mistery to me, I had to wait for the battery to run out, and Tello to land by itself. I was unable to get it controlled neither by the controller nor by the onscreen control...

While I doubt TelloFPV is for anything in this problem, I'm questionning if there is a way to prevent the app to loose the focus on the screen and as such lost control with the Tello.

Ya had similar issue. I mentioned it in earlier post. But developer clearly says it has nothing to do with tellofpv app. It might be phone andriod version or tello firmware issue.

It is happening to me that it disconnects from the tello wifi and I have to wait for it to reconnect, i restart the tello, the extender, uninstall the app and nothing is still disconnected and connecting, apart from the loss of video signal and I am not even 3 meters away????

I recommend you use the t1s in X-BOX mode, the same thing happened to me, turn off the gamesir, hit it with the X button and the power button

Take off - when I launch Tello FPV and press take off button, app shows me message "not licensed" it takes around 10 sec. then I can use it. This happens to me in some previous version, after update it was ok and now with v1.14 it´s back.

Screenrecording - firstly I would like to add my vote to Rauls idea add a button to video menu for start screenrecord on take off. Maybe it could be usefull if it will stop recording after landing. Same could be applicable for already existing record on take off button.

Dronie and Boomerang - It works ok till I try to change the speed while Tello goes backwards. It doesn't matter if I try to increase or reduce speed. In the moment I move finger in the joystick field, Tello change it´s direction and start to go forward, continues to climb, the AP still running and speed is always changed to 10% . After that, I can change the speed normally, app shows real distance to go, but AP doesn´t care. I have screenrecord if it can help.

Thank you

Sagvan
Yes, screen recording for #1 and #3 would help. Can you upload that to weshare, google drive or some other sharing site?

In case of being unable to control Tello its most important to understand what is causing this. It can be related to a lost Wifi connection, a problem in the app, or Tello refusing to do what you want.

If the wifi is dropped (like in the case simhaindia reported earlier, or like annielloz reported in the following post) there is simply nothing the app can do. Android controls the wifi connection by itself, and TelloFpv just uses the connection. The easiest way to find out is in the android wifi settings, if it says anything but "connected, no internet" its a problem between Android and Tello that the app can't do anything about.
I had that a couple of times, and most often it seems to be the phone. I could connect to Tello after switching wifi off & on again.

If wifi is still connected, but TelloFpv app does not re-connect, the important thing for me is to note the exact message the App shows. That tells me which part of the ssystem can't connect.

You best bet is to leave TelloFpv by pressing 2x the back button. Unlike other apps TelloFpv _always_ kills itself completely when using the back button.
Now restart TelloFpv. If it connects there is a good chance it disconnected because there is a problem in TelloFpv. If it does not reconnect, the most likely cause is that Tello does not accept a connection.
To get a reliable proof you can leave TelloFpv again, and start the Ryze app to see if that one can connect. But for me that has never been successful.

To your questions regarding TelloFpv loosing focus: There is nothing I can do to prevent this from happening. Its just the nature of Android. If you open another app, open System setting, goto the home screen, or just change brightness the app looses focus. Anything modification of this would have severe impact on user experience.

It is happening to me that it disconnects from the tello wifi and I have to wait for it to reconnect, i restart the tello, the extender, uninstall the app and nothing is still disconnected and connecting, apart from the loss of video signal and I am not even 3 meters away????
If wifi does not re-connect its either a problem of your phone's wifi driver hanging, or Tello not accepting connections. Try to switch off & on wifi.

Reactions: raulvolador
I am using latest beta version.
Found this two issues
1)if I click on an ap and ap setting screen is closed by pressing the back button I cannot use the ap menu anymore. The three dot gets red but does not open.
2)Also in panorama or video 360 more specifically mode if ap is deactivated by vps inactive or user input, then if ap is started again it does not make full 360 rotation. Just stops half way or at 20 to 30 degree saying ap success.

Also in my case wifi disconnected issue the wifi setting was saying obtaining ip address. So i think tello was not assigning ip to my phone which was solved only after restarting tello

BEFORE... you use the TelloFPV app

It might help, if you completely shut down your mobile phone, and restart it to clear any tempory memory junk that has been left by other apps.
Me too.

When I plan to go out for flight I close background apps using recent apps menu and swiping them off the screen. I reboot my smartphone too.

I own a low tier phone device and It's better for me wasting a minute cleaning memory than suffering an Android crash and loosing my Tello.

Raul.

Last edited:
I am using latest beta version.
Found this two issues
1)if I click on an ap and ap setting screen is closed by pressing the back button I cannot use the ap menu anymore. The three dot gets red but does not open.
2)Also in panorama or video 360 more specifically mode if ap is deactivated by vps inactive or user input, then if ap is started again it does not make full 360 rotation. Just stops half way or at 20 to 30 degree saying ap success.

Also in my case wifi disconnected issue the wifi setting was saying obtaining ip address. So i think tello was not assigning ip to my phone which was solved only after restarting tello
I will look into the AP issues.

The wifi issue is not resolveable by anyone but only Ryze can fix this

Does anyone have experience using this on a Chromebook?

I've got it installed on an ASUS Flip, and it works fine, but no video or images can be viewed or saved.

Chromebook are standard for many schools, so getting this working would be great - any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated!

Just to answer my own question if anyone else is wondering - the app works on Chrome OS, and can capture images, but due to Google restrictions, there is no live video feed in the app...

Screenrecording - firstly I would like to add my vote to Rauls idea add a button to video menu for start screenrecord on take off. Maybe it could be usefull if it will stop recording after landing. Same could be applicable for already existing record on take off button.

Thank you

Sagvan
1- not licensed
This is caused by play store being slow to answer. Next release will show a progress dialog while waiting for play store (or waiting for the call to fail).

2- screen recording
Not really a fan of automating this. I can't really say why, but maybe because it does not work for 100% of all users, some devices have trouble

3 - Dronie & Boomerang
Fixed in next release

Thanks!

My wishes for the "8D-Buttons"
If Battery low dont show the Option for this Mode.

When 8D Mode runs, i wish a simple Screen-Button to close it, without the Menu.

Greets

I thought that the current version already shows a warning when trying to execute flips under 50% battery?

I don't want to be more restrictive because: If I grey out the menu option poeple will ask why. If I automatically remove the 8D buttons on low battery people will ask why.
And some drones will do flips even at 10% battery - depending on the firmware installed.

Reactions: ceredajunior
Hi all,

I succesfully tested 1.14d TelloFPV release. I enjoyed a couple of flights not having any issue.

I posted at 'TelloFPV videos thread' a screenrecording showing the way new BOOMERANG autopilot works. I added some POI setting and POI LOCK samples for teaching.

All of this demostrates TelloFPV is a mature product, without bugs and the best alternative to Stock OEM Tello app.

Have fun !

See video here: TelloFpv videos

Its written in plain Java, without any libraries other than Android compatibility. That allows me to keep everything under control, but also means no IOS "release" as this wld mean a complete re-write of everything.
That also means I have no libraries to blame if something goes wrong, like in the last release. I think I messed up 1.07 in several ways, so it will be replaced later today.

As to the development speed: I don't have to ask anyone for approval, I don't have any endless meetings or conference calls, no peer reviews, no budget constraints, nothing. Its just me and my todo list. Can't compare this to how fast corporates can move.

Forgot: Dev envrionment is Android Studio
Have you thought about open sourcing the project?

Whenever I fly FPV or VR I have a lot of trouble finding a landing spot. Obviously, the camera does not see downward but I wonder if there is any technique that people have for landing that somehow compensates for this limitation? Is there anything TelloFPV could do to help in this regard?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
97bugsinthecode