Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New app: TelloFPV for Android

50m with Phone alone.
400m with xiaomi?
My xiaomi 2 Extended arrived yesterday. I Hope I can Test it as soon as possible.
I Hope I can reach 100m
I received a Xiami 2 recently but haven't found the time to test. Please report back.

One hint when using a BT controller: Place it a few meters away from you on. That way the Bluetooth signal between controller and phone will be very weak near the extender so the extender has to fight less noise on the wifi band.
If you keep the extender close to you instead it will see a similar amount of bluetooth noise as the phone typically sees. It may still improve results because it has better antennas (hopefully) but not to the extend possible. The connection phone / extender should be reliable over a few meters even with bluetooth getting in the way.

I always place the extender in the window: Inside when bad weather like today (I tend to forget it there and it already took some rain). If the extender is inside behind the window it still gives me around 100m reliable range, if placed outside outside 300-400m.

//Current version: 0.7b//
What? Do I missed an Update?
0.7b (the beta test version of 0.7) was released yesterday

0.8 will be released later today both as beta version 0.8b here, and hopefully on the Google play store as 0.8 (I have never done this before so I need to work this out). There will be a paid version and a Demo version with a few limitations. Good enough for "try before buy" but not a replacement for the full version.

Reactions: zesteves
I am new to this App, came over from the Atellpilot App. I have a Parrot Flypad Controller that I am trying to use with my Tello. I works fine over Bluetooth but the onscreen video is not usable. If I use a OTG cable the Flypad disconnects after a short time. I read the manual and it says "Parrot Flypad is for Bluetooth connection only. If you plug it into the USB OTH port it may appear to work OK but it stops after about a minute". Is any body else using a Flypad, if so, how?

Flypad creates a lot of bluetooth noise. It transmits its button & stick status every few milliseconds so it's a very chatty controller. Gamesir T1d is much less noisy, it transmits only stick movements - but the Flypad precision just another league and is much more fun to fly if you can get the video quality to acceptable levels.

If you have trouble with video quality play a bit with the video settings (main settings => expert). Or, and that is the only cure for this: get a wifi extender and place it a few meters away from you, ideally towards the drone. I recently bought the Xiaomi 2 extender for 5 euro (have yet to try it, I use a Xiaomi Nano Youth ).

I have no idea how to convince the Flypad to stay on when connected via USB. Thats also not a way supported on Parrot drones.

One question: Video problems are the same if you use aTelloPilot?

Flypad creates a lot of bluetooth noise. It transmits its button & stick status every few milliseconds so it's a very chatty controller. Gamesir T1d is much less noisy, it transmits only stick movements - but the Flypad precision just another league and is much more fun to fly if you can get the video quality to acceptable levels.

If you have trouble with video quality play a bit with the video settings (main settings => expert). Or, and that is the only cure for this: get a wifi extender and place it a few meters away from you, ideally towards the drone. I recently bought the Xiaomi 2 extender for 5 euro (have yet to try it, I use a Xiaomi Nano Youth ).

I have no idea how to convince the Flypad to stay on when connected via USB. Thats also not a way supported on Parrot drones.

One question: Video problems are the same if you use aTelloPilot?
I have not been able to get the Flypad to work with Atellopilot so far. I only bought the Flypad because some people were talking about using it and that it was much better. I also have a Gamesir G3s. I have not tried it with this App. I am going out to the garage and try it now. Will report back in a few.

I have not been able to get the Flypad to work with Atellopilot so far. I only bought the Flypad because some people were talking about using it and that it was much better. I also have a Gamesir G3s. I have not tried it with this App. I am going out to the garage and try it now. Will report back in a few.

Hello mec9900,

I have been using the Tello with this new app TelloFPV. The controllers I have been using are Flypad (connected via bluetooth) and GameSir G3s (connected via USB OTG or bluetooth) and they work very well with any of the connections.

All the best!

Flypad is certainly better for flying than gamesir or other controlelrs. But it seems you need a phone with a very good wifi antenna / chip, or a wifi range extender to get good video feed.

I think G3s is reported to work with TelloFPV app once it is configured or paired according to manufacturers instructions.

Last edited:
OK folks, the Xmas release is ready: v0.8b is available for download in the post #2 on the first page of this thread. Again good for 5 days.

I am reasonably confident that we ironed out most significant bugs. If you stumble over something please let me know!

This will also become the first official release on Google Play store. I have never done this before so no clue how long Playstore needs to activate a new app release.
TelloFPV will be available in two flavours:
Demo restricted to 5 days or 10 flights, 2m altitude limit and recording only short video snippets. The intention of this version is allow a compatibility-check with a particular phone / controller without buying the real thing.
TelloFpv itself will be 4,99 Euro or equivalent lira, dollar , piaster, whatever. That includes all future updates to this app.

Thanks to all who helped me achieve this in such a short timeframe, special thanks @zesteves for giving me the chance to peek at his nice & sunny videos when all I could do was fly inside and look at the rain!

Starting tomorrow I'll be gone for family holidays, be back in a couple of days.

Focus for next release is strictly bug fixing and VR support.

@all: Enjoy your holidays and have fun !

Did not make it to the garage, Hooked everything up setting on my desk (using a OTG cable). The App sees the Gamesir controller but I get no response from the controller. None of the buttons or the sticks work. All of the lights on the Gamesir continually flash on and off. I am controller poor, I also have a Gamersir G3, a Moga Pocket PowerA, and a DJI Spark controller.
volatello are you saying that a WIFI Extender will solve the video problems with the Flypad? I really like flying with the Flypad.

It does for me when flying outside. Extender 5-10m away from me so it does not get much of the BT signal and I don't have any signifcant amount of garbage / dropped frames.

Inside it also helps, too. But indoors I have so much wifi & BT noise from other devices that the Flypad is the least concern.

It does for me when flying outside. Extender 5-10m away from me so it does not get much of the BT signal and I don't have any signifcant amount of garbage / dropped frames.

Inside it also helps, too. But indoors I have so much wifi & BT noise from other devices that the Flypad is the least concern.
Thanks for the reply, enjoy your family holidays.

Unfortunately no, sorry. :cautious:
Couldn't you do a deal with an IOS developer?

It's a great app, by the way. I've been flying less than a week and I'd say it's better than Tello's own app. I'm running it on a One+1 (which is rather old) and it's peachy.

Couldn't you do a deal with an IOS developer?

It's a great app, by the way. I've been flying less than a week and I'd say it's better than Tello's own app. I'm running it on a One+1 (which is rather old) and it's peachy.

Thanks for the compliments. It was just accepted by Google Play Store. Mission accomplished: TelloFPV is out just in time for christmas!

I will make up my mind over the next days how to proceed here for future development. I loved the experience of having direct feedback from users early in the process. I would love to use a similar approach for new releases with major new features but not so much for bugfix releases (just not exciting).

So here it is: TelloFPV :D:D
Demo version: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.volatello.tellofpv.demo
Full version: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.volatello.tellofpv

Last edited:
But I will Never ever sent my little tello out more than 100m. After 50m I cant see My little tello in the Sky. No no no, not my tello...

Hey Brick, for that same reason, I Velcro'd flashing LED lights to the top and bottom of the Tello, greatly enhancing my ability to see the drone at a distance. Vision fails me, but I can see flashing lights!

Thanks for the compliments. It was just accepted by Google Play Store. Mission accomplished: TelloFPV is out just in time for christmas!

I will make up my mind over the next days how to proceed here for future development. I loved the experience of having direct feedback from users early in the process. I would love to use a similar approach for new releases with major new features but not so much for bugfix releases (just not exciting).

So here it is: TelloFPV :D:D
Demo version: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.volatello.tellofpv.demo
Full version: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.volatello.tellofpv

cool, bought it
congratz on the release volate!lo
looking forward for next updates

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tello_cargo_ege