Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New app: TelloFPV for Android

Thanks to all of you for your kind words! I am a seasoned enterprise developer but this is the first Android app I have ever developed, so some of this is completely new to me. For example I had no clue what is involved in getting an app published on Play Store.

So bear with me if some things don't go as planned. Nobody should have to pay twice for the app. After purchasing once it should be available on all your devices, and on your "family" devices (I don't know how this "family library" is called in the english play store, on the German play store its "Familienmediathek"). If not: drop me a line [email protected] and we will sort this out.
Even though TelloFPV was listed on play store it could not be found initially. Seems google requires a "data protection policy" before the advertise the app, even if the app itself doesn't collect any data. Strange world. But maybe I have to provide a data protection policy because they collect data?? Anyway, I am still learning a lot of things about app, google play, etc

After editing the description a few times TelloFPV can now be found on a couple of keywords, but the ranking of course isn't really good. Others apps have ten thousand installs, so this is normal for a new app with 10 downloads. I hope it will gradually work its way up over time.

Ranking is currently OK for the following search terms
"ryze tello" #13
"tello fpv" #4
"tello control" #10
But for example it doesn't show up at all for "tello" or "dji tello". I guess I need to work on this a bit.

Thanks to all who downloaded and left a review. I think positive reviews will do more for the ranking than anything I can do from my side. Thank you!

The free demo is available worldwide, but the real thing is not available in Cuba, Iran, Sudan, and China. I'd like to add china of course as its a big market but I don't know how and don't have the time now to investigate. Maybe its once again a hidden feature that is only available once I click somewhere.

I have seen that Google play console allows me to see stacktraces for any fatal application errors (cool!). So far one user experienced two fatal app errors, I will look into these today.

Buenos días, soy un usuario de Ryze Tello y estoy en un grupo de telegram "Dji Tello España", hace 2 días un usuario del grupo compartió el descubrimiento de la app TelloFpv y algunos miembros del grupo empezamos a probarla y la verdad que de las app que he probado para pilotar el Tello es la mejor, muy completa y muy limpia la pantalla, con toda la información necesaria y fácil de encontrar, muy configurable, estoy utilizando la versión beta pero con toda seguridad compraré TelloFpv, quería preguntar a volate¡ lo por la función rth, es bastante precisa en cortas distancias de no más de 30m, yo la probé a 206m de distancia y empezó a volver con un poco de desviacion al punto de origen, pero lo importante es que vuelve, vuando estaba a unos 40m de distancia empezó a alejarse de nuevo, yo pensé que iba a hacer alguna corrección por la desviacion pero no, se seguía alejando y cuando superó la distancia de 206m anulé el rth y regresé en modo manual, no sé porque hizo eso, fue en la versión 0.6, tengo que probar con la 0.8, otra pregunta, ¿el rth lo podría hacer automáticamente si pierde la conexión con el teléfono o repetidor WiFi? ¿O necesita la conexión WiFi para volver?, un saludo y enhorabuena por esta app.
The only reason I see why RTH can get confused is in case connection to tello ist lost. TelloFpv may re-initialize it's recorded positions on reconnect, so TelloFPV should not be used to push Tello to the limit. Same happens when restarting the app inflight. I will fix this wit the next release.

TelloFpv needs a stable connection to the phone for RTH. RTH can't work if connection is lost, Tello just doesn't support this.

Tried today outsite. Its sunny after weeks. No Wind.
but since today TelloFPV would not connect to my gamesir ts1.
IT Shows up in the lower bar at the right, Shows 82% accu, but under controll Setting nothing.
atellopilot could not find ts1 too.
De and reinstalled everything. Nothing Happens. Shows up with 82% in the lower bar, but no connection...
Can you post a screenshot of the controller setup screen?
PhilJman created a very helpful Tello compatibility spreadsheet that has been updated.

Phil appreciates that we are all updating the spreadsheet with the results of our tests.

Tello Compatibility
I will add my devices asap.

I think we should do two things regarding this list:
First transform it so the rows represent phones and the columns show apps. Otherwise it will grow into a very wide list. There are only a handfull of apps but google play says TelloFpv is compatible to 11.000 different android devices.
Second we should ask the moderators to make this a sticky entry to the main tello discussion. I have seen a dozen questions here that could be answered with a short glance at this spreadsheet.

@volate!lo

Congratulations and merry christmas.

I realized a minor bug I detect into beta 0.7 and remains in 0.8 I bought from Play Store today. When I configure Main settings-confirm takeoff to NO its not possible to take off anymore. Takeoff button do nothing. it doesn't matter touchscreen or gamepad selected. Only workarround is CSC arm motors command or setting Confirm Takeoff to YES.

Thanks a lot !
Thanks, fixed for next release.

Sorry for posting so much...

But i really am excited about this new app and want to try to help as many people as i can
get the most out of it. It feels like a whole different drone then when i first bought it.

With a return to home the really works is just an awesome tool to have on such a toy drone so you don't lose it as much. And not to mention a programmer who works this hard, It a win/win for everybody. Guy had like 7 updates in a week and is already talking about another quick release to help more people. You sir are AWESOME !!! And a wonderul help to the tello pilot family. I hope for the sound of thousands of dollars falling onto your doorstep next year with this hard work you are doing for us. plus, That dual control feature that you have has is a fantastic feature to help other people learn to fly safely.

I only fly it 100 meters on average and 100 feet high. with that camera on this tiny thing, You can get some great footage from a toy. Then i don't have to haul out the big drones to grab a nice quick picture or video of something.

Not to mention, When you fire up a large drone, The whole world seems to notice you and it makes headaches sometimes.

And if i can help anybody with what works and what does not, Or how to store your drone for without having to buy a fancy bag or case or pouch. Then you can save extra money and buy this app from him with it :)

Here is my complete setup for this little drone :)
(The box/case is a simple fishing tackle type box you can buy at walmart for like 7 bucks)
(The repeater is a meross n220 that i got from amazon)
(And If you already have a iMax b6 charger, That power adapter works perfect with this tello charger)
Thanks for your kind words. Thousands of dollars on my doorstep would certainly be welcomed, but realistically the market for this app is just too small. At less than 3 Eur net income per download after taxes and google fees I have now earned enough to buy a new set of batteries :)

I agree with you that little Tello is changing how I view "toy" drones. All the fun for me in drones is becoming illegal / inappropriate with my other drones these days, and incidents like at the London Gattwick airport recently (closed for two days due to drone sabotage) will only tighten regulations even more.
Even where not illegal powering up a larger drone often causes more attention than I like. Tello is viewed as a toy, and is as much or more fun than a larger drone.
If they added SD card full HD recording I would immediately get rid of my other drones.

Reactions: xcrost and zesteves
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all

--and-- to volate!lo (and possibly brick72?:))

Frohe Weihnachten und ein glückliches Neues Jahr

Reactions: brick72
I need some help. I am an un-social dinosaur. I have no social media account, no facebook account, no instagram, no telegram, no YouTube channel, no...
I could start getting used to all these to spread the word but honestly I'd rather spend the time and effort on improving Tellofpv.

So i would appreciate if you could help spread the word. Some comments on Youtube channels, facebook groups, telegram (i don't even know what that is) would be very helpful.
I think especially some comments on the main Tello Facebook groups would help a lot.

Last edited:
I'm actually Working in an Tutorial Video for your App. I Hope this will help.
I think it will be ready in a few Days. Just Need some Sunny hours to Film the tello.
Naturally Made in German. I wont do the "Oettinger" ??

I need some help. I am an un-social dinosaur. I have no facebook account, no instagram, no telegram, no YouTube channel, no...
I could start getting used to all these to spread the word but honestly I'd rather spend the time and effort on improving Tellofpv.

So i would appreciate if you could help spread the word. Some comments on Youtube channels, facebook groups, telegram (i don't even know what that is) would be very helpful.
I think especially some comments on the main Tello Facebook groups would help a lot.

no problem at all

I need some help. I am an un-social dinosaur. I have no facebook account, no instagram, no telegram, no YouTube channel, no...

Hi volate!lo,

I already start to spread the word on the following Facebook groups, all of them with more than 4000 members:

- (DJI) Ryze Tello Drone Owners Group - (DJI) Ryze Tello Drone Owners Group

- OFFICIAL RYZE TELLO OWNERS GROUP - OFFICIAL RYZE TELLO OWNERS GROUP

- DJI /RYZE TELLO - Security Check Required

The message I wrote was:

TelloFPV is a very recently created app for the DJI Ryze Tello. You can download from Google Play:

TelloFPV - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.volatello.tellofpv

TelloFPV demo - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.volatello.tellofpv.demo

Take a look about its development at the following thread of the TelloPilots forum:

New app: TelloFPV

It is already considered by many tas he best app ever to control the Tello drone. I fully agree!

I hope it will helps you to buy a few more sets of batteries...;)

Reactions: volate!lo
I'm actually Working in an Tutorial Video for your App. I Hope this will help.
I think it will be ready in a few Days. Just Need some Sunny hours to Film the tello.
Naturally Made in German. I wont do the "Oettinger" ??
Great! Youtube can do automatic transcripts and translate them on the fly. Certainly better than Oettinger's English

If you are once ready with your App I have an Idea for an Future Update:
TelloFPV usable on 2 Phones at the same Time. It would not be nessesery to use it as Pilot, but for Video Transmission.
So one can Fly via Phone/gamepad, the other one can sit and carry an vr glasses.
I tried this with your App, but it wont Work.
May be there are Video grabbing Apps outhere, I dont know.

Hi volate!lo,

I already start to spread the word on the following Facebook groups, all of them with more than 4000 members:

The message I wrote was:

TelloFPV is a very recently created app for the DJI Ryze Tello. You can download from Google Play:

TelloFPV demo - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.volatello.tellofpv.demo

Take a look about its development at the following thread of the TelloPilots forum:

It is already considered by many tas he best app ever to control the Tello drone. I fully agree!

Great! Just 10 more downloads and i am even with cost for the batteries i burnt while developing... ;)

Reactions: zesteves
If you are once ready with your App I have an Idea for an Future Update:
TelloFPV usable on 2 Phones at the same Time. It would not be nessesery to use it as Pilot, but for Video Transmission.
So one can Fly via Phone/gamepad, the other one can sit and carry an vr glasses.
I tried this with your App, but it wont Work.
May be there are Video grabbing Apps outhere, I dont know.
You are lucky: this has been on the list since inception and while not fully implemented this idea was incorporated in the design so won't be too hard to do. Will only work well when running a wifi extender though

Reactions: xcrost and brick72
Hi, I bought the app but automatically it was canceled and I received a refund without having done anything. I do not understand why!

Hi, I bought the app but automatically it was canceled and I received a refund without having done anything. I do not understand why!
All I can see that there was one download at 18:50 from Italy that was cancelled by Google due to a payment rejection. Maybe that was you? I can only speculate why this happened. Wrong PIN, password, insufficient balance, typo in some account number.

Just try again, maybe using another way of payment

Yes, I tried to buy the app again, but it was rejected because I did not have enough credit, believing that I had already been reimbursed 4.99 euros.
but just before, the app was purchased and downloaded, then it is gone and I received a refund email! now I wait for the refund and I try again.

I am currently trying to increase visibility / ranking of the app in the playstore and while doing so found a first Youtube video recorded by TelloFPV !

He seems to be using some autopilot function. I can only speculate but my guess is:
0:20-1:40 Circle POI, but a bit too low altitude and the POI distance was slightly wrong
1:40-1:55 Up & Away
1:55-2:50 the beginning looks like POI Circle, but then more like POI Lock with a very steady hand (or extremely low yaw rate)
3:08-3:29 Return to Home (cancelled before arrival)

naturally I don't know the video settings, like bitrate and skip corrupt frames. To me it looks like 2Mbit and drop frames.

I would appreciate if everyone publishing Youtube videos in these early days could do the community a little favor:
Please include the video settings in the descriptions, those you set in the "Expert settings" tab. And maybe mention if you used any range extender or controller.

Hi volate!lo,

The message I wrote was:

I also have sent similar messages to a few related channels on Youtube.
ReadySetDrone has 110000+ subscribers. He loves his Tello. Said he would check it out ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eliaso