Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New app: TelloFPV for Android

(y)(y) Thanks folks, that will help a lot! (y)(y)

The equation is simple: If I don't spend much time on marketing I can do more development. Later today (very late) I will publish 0.9 to the play store fixing the takeoff confirmation bug and another one I identified based on the stacktraces that Google sent me.

I just learned that this forum has a Poll feature. After the VR release I will use these polls so you all can vote for priority of features. At least for those that I want to disclose before implementing.

Reactions: zesteves and xcrost
Hello I have tested your app and i must say im impressed !
But I have few requests. DJI style takeoff when you pull your sticks, it works with onscreen controlls but doesnt with my gamepad. Also it doesnt map my gamepad correctly Moga Hero Power.
Also if it turn off confirm takeoff, my takeoff button doesn't work

Last edited:
But I have few requests. DJI style takeoff when you pull your sticks, it works with onscreen controlls but doesnt with my gamepad. Also it doesnt map my gamepad correctly Moga Hero Power.

If your controller is recognized it will, but maybe your controller doesn't report correct stick positions (TelloFPV requires at least 70% stick on all 4 axes: throttle down, yaw right, roll left, pitch backwards). WIth a usual stick mapping this is sticks down & inward.

As for the mapping: As long as the controller is recognized and does adhere to common mapping standards it should work. You can change all stick & button mapping in the controller settings.

You are lucky: this has been on the list since inception and while not fully implemented this idea was incorporated in the design so won't be too hard to do. Will only work well when running a wifi extender though
YAY! This was on my wish list too.So glad you thought ahead (as usual genius) I have a long wish list but I will bite my lip until VR is out :) lol

So if you say its better to choose gamepad as Student Pilot, its may be better to dont give the possibility to let choose the Master as gamepad but only as onscreen.
What brings me to the question why to choose a Pilot while it could be possible to set a external Pilot basicly always as Student. If a gamepad is connected it will work, but onscreen is always Master.
(If that was to complicate to you in "my English" I will try it in german ????)

So if you say its better to choose gamepad as Student Pilot, its may be better to dont give the possibility to let choose the Master as gamepad but only as onscreen.
What brings me to the question why to choose a Pilot while it could be possible to set a external Pilot basicly always as Student. If a gamepad is connected it will work, but onscreen is always Master.
(If that was to complicate to you in "my English" I will try it in german ????)

Each combination of master/controller supports a different scenario.

Imagine the following:
You bought a tello with the gamesir controller as your first drone. You want to teach your kid FPV so you hand over the phone so the kid can fly with onscreen joysticks. You keep the external controller in your hand to stop Tello in case something happens.
For this scenario to work onscreen has to be slave, and controller has to be master.

Reactions: Ezgene and zesteves
I posted a little while ago with a link to walmart for the size of boxes that i buy.
(When it is ok'd, You can see it, For some reason, It has to be ok'd, Maybe because i linked to walmart so you can know the exact box to buy ???) still waiting....i am so new here, so i do not understand yet what i did wrong with that post. Maybe you are not allowed to post links??? I don't know. LOL Just trying to help you.
here is what it says.

Hi TelloPilot2019,

We don't have Walmart in Portugal. So, don't worry with the link. I would just like to know the dimensions of the box. Anyway, thank you very much!

Fantastic job, great app.

I would like to propose a new function, I do not know if it would be possible ... RTH when WiFi coverage falls below a certain value.

Thank you.

Merry Christmas

YAY! This was on my wish list too.So glad you thought ahead (as usual genius) I have a long wish list but I will bite my lip until VR is out :) lol
That's exactly the best approach for speeding up VR.
I'd appreciate if you could send me your list directly instead of publishing it here. There are a couple of features I don't want to discuss publicly. Second there are several features that I considered but discarded some time ago, and which I just won't do (like the one below). Discussing them here over and over won't change this, but only clutter the thread unnecessarily.

Fantastic job, great app.

I would like to propose a new function, I do not know if it would be possible ... RTH when WiFi coverage falls below a certain value.

Thank you.

Merry Christmas
Your first message! Welcome to this forum!

Unfortunately I am not a fan of this idea. There is a couple of reasons for this:
* the wifi strength reported by little Tello seems to be a bit inconsistent and rough. It jumps from 70db to 10db and back in no time for no obvious reason. Use it as a guidance only. Initiating something automatic because of this is a bad idea IMO
* Wifi does not degrade linearly with distance. Say you are 60m away and have 10db left. This may still be good for another 40m, or just 5m.
* not all phones are made equal. 40db can be perfect on some, or already at the edge

Most important, and this is almost exactly the same reasons as for not implementing automatic RTH on low battery:
Automatically initiated RTHs aren't necessarily a good thing. Say you still have 40db wifi and decide to circle a tree. Amidst the circle tello reports 10db and automatic RTH kicks in: Tello turns around towards home and flies straight into the tree. When flying indoors this will happen every time you fly into another room and have low wifi. Tello decides its time for RTH, turns towards home and crashes into the next wall.
So in the end Tello might be damaged / lost because of RTH. In both cases I'd rather have Tello hover in place after losing wifi than crashing.

Of course I could make it on/off configurable but people tend to forget these settings. My feeling is this function will cause more trouble than its worth.

But: I am currently working on a few bugfixes. Taking your suggestion into account the next release will -in addition to the easily overlooked red wifi strength- show a notification for wifi below 40db. One of these green flashing notifications. Will be in today's release, should be on the playstore in a few hours.

In a future release I will add nice notification sounds for warnings (distance, wifi strength, battery, etc) so the user has the chance to act approriately. These will be on/off configurable.

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome :). What better way to start than congratulating you for your work.

Thank you very much for your response, you have convinced me.

If you allow me I will send you another suggestion... a POI moving away as the function that brings the official app but customizable in time, height and distance ;-)

Reactions: xcrost
an advance "Up & Away" ?

Somewhere on the todo list! The list is already looong ;)
Priorities for these "normal" features will be set according to some user poll after the VR release

Reactions: zesteves and xcrost
I tried it and I must admit it's pretty good! I like how the finger controls are not obscuring the screen and I like the nice clear telemetry display.
Great job!

Reactions: xcrost
Also if it turn off confirm takeoff, my takeoff button doesn't work
Hola, los sticks en diagonal abajo y adentro arman motores igual que dji, a mi si me funciona con el mando gamesir g3w, a veces no acierto pero si funciona, espero te sirva de ayuda, un saludo.

an advance "Up & Away" ?

Somewhere on the todo list! The list is already looong ;)
Priorities for these "normal" features will be set according to some user poll after the VR release
Yes, "up & away" is very poor in distance and time ... Thanks for considering it for a future upgrade ;-)

Updated to 0.9!

Reactions: brick72
Yes, "up & away" is very poor in distance and time ... Thanks for considering it for a future upgrade ;-)

Updated to 0.9!
Yes I like the idea of an advance up&away too!
Examples:
Up&away with distance
Up&away with circle me
Up&away with turn/spinn Forward

Last edited:
So tellofpv didnt appear Playstore to me. If I Search only Tello it didnt appear too.
Glad that someone posted the Link in this Forum.
When searching for "Tello" there is so many apps that have a long background and thousands of downloads so TelloFPV is waaayyy down the list.
Try "tello control", "tello fpv", "tellofpv", "tello ryze", "tello drone".

I did a small Google Adwords campaign yesterday. Not a single installation came from this, but paying google a few bucks for advertising improved the ranking a lot!

What does not work is "DJI tello" as DJI has registered their brandname with Google Play so I get a warning if I use DJI as part of the name or part of a campaign.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eliaso