Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New app: TelloFPV for Android

One more Thing:
In POI I found out that tello Loose height. I had to manually Control the height before it crashes in the fields.
for me tello looses or gaining height in simple straight flight sonetimes in sport mode and also in video mode

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

Hi there,

glad you saved your Tello. I will look into this but most likely I won't be able to do anything about it:

Wifi disconnects (at the operating system level) are not something that TelloFpv can cause, trigger, handle, or repair.

As you can see in the second screenshot Wifi is really disconnected at the Android operating system level. Its not TelloFpv loosing connection at the application protocol level but Android loosing connection at the lower networking levels.

TelloFpv does not manipulate the Wifi in any way. It does not change from one wifi to another or anything else. It just uses the wifi connection that you manually established before launching TelloFpv.
I intentionally left out all functionality that handles Wifi state, like the re-association function offered by aTelloPilot. Too many things can go wrong there, and it seems that every vendor handles certain aspects differently (like notifications and re-associations if a wifi has no internet) so I just left it out..

If Android drops the wifi there must be some other reason. I have experienced this a few times regardless of the control application used. In some conditions aTelloPilot could re-connect but mostly not. I never figured out what triggered this so I just accept it.

So please send me the details, but don't expect wonders.

@volate!lo
You are right. I flew again using v0.94 with no problems at all.

Wifi disconection must be caused for strong interference signal.

Your software works PERFECT.

All the best.

Take It Easy Man.

I agree! Slow down and take a deep breath please.

You have come so far so fast - and can NOT be everything to everyone.

And besides... Your current version is so close to everything I want in an app for Tello... for anything else I have a phantom! lol

Last edited:
First Day Sunlight. Out with my Tello.
So most things works cool, but:
The Video brightness is not fix? I had always dark and bright Pictures. Do I miss a Configuration?

Range with repeater is 70m. After that Stream Breaks.

Poi and Circle me works Perfect, Rth too.

Ts1 was found in tellofpv, but only After Restart I could choose it as Pilot.

The recorded videoquality isnt the best anymore. Ok, yes, no dropped Frames, but The Quality is a bit washed, Not that sharp as before.
Video brightness is handled just the same as in the Tello app, or actually this is done in the Tello firmware. You can either set a fixed EV value, or you can set it to auto. Tello App calls this EV0, but in fact its auto adjustment. So if you want a fixed EV, without adaption if turning into the sun, you can set this in the camera settings.

Range with repeater is only 70m? Using the Xiaomi Wifi+ I can easily do 150 without getting too much garbage on the video screen, at least 300m with the Xiaomi Nano Youth. Sounds like you have some RF noise around, maybe a BT fitness tracker?

Video quality hasn't changed as I haven't touched the way its done in the last releases. I only changed some configuration preset values (just the presets for new installations, not what the configuration values do). So that should not be an issue.

If you want sharp video you need two things: First make sure the stream is not corrupted. Every corruption causes the stream to be rebuilt, and rebuilding starts with a blurry image that gets sharper with each additional frame. Also every rebuild causes stutter in the video. Second you need a high bitrate so as many details as possible are transferred.
Once you have a stable stream with high bitrate you can set the Iframe interval to 10 seconds.
And only then you get clear video.

Maybe I should add a few debug informations to the full app as well, so folks who are really into video can see how they are doing in terms of corrupt frames, bitrate, framerate, etc.

One more Thing:
In POI I found out that tello Loose height. I had to manually Control the height before it crashes in the fields.
TelloFpv does not keep altitude in POI autopilots, it basically sends throttle=neutral to Tello so it's Tellos job to keep the altitude. Tello does its job of holding altitude sometimes good, sometimes not so much so altitude can change just like in a normal flight. These autopilots allow user throttle input. I could also make them just keep altitude but that has two drawbacks: 1. the user may be confused who is in control of altitude. Autopilot or user? 2. Tello altitude is sometimes very inaccurate. But that is all I have so I would make ascend / descend decisions based on inaccurate, fluctuating information. Doesn't sound like a good idea.

The RTH autopilot keeps the altitude because it does not allow user input, and because I think in this case control over altitude using inaccurate data is better than no control at all.

Is it possible to implement an EXIT Button in the main menu?
Just done!

Range with repeater is only 70m? Using the Xiaomi Wifi+ I can easily do 150 without getting too much garbage on the video screen, at least 300m with the Xiaomi Nano Youth. Sounds like you have some RF noise around, maybe a BT fitness tracker?

300m!? Do you have any videos of such long flights?

for me tello looses or gaining height in simple straight flight sonetimes in sport mode and also in video mode

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

The question is: How does Tello behave when doing exactly the same thing in the stock app? Because looking at the bits that fly between Tello and the controller app they are all doing just the same thing.

Maybe a bit of background, also that folks can make a more educated decision if some claims are true or not.
No app controls altitude when flying with manual stick control. The only thing they send to tello is stick positions. So if TelloFpv sends "Throttle=0%" its exactly the same as if stock Tello App send "Throttle=0%". If the drone holds altitude well or not is a problem of Tello firmware and sensors, the apps just don't care. Some Tellos lose altitude in fast flights, often because of dying motors, weak batteries, inaccurate calibration, or a mixture of it all. I have one that lose altitude and one that is fully stable. I guess that I will see a dead motor in the sluggish one sooner or later.

I have read that some accounts of instable hovering, instable altitude hold, and all that, not only for TelloFpvbut also for aTelloPilot. But I can assure you that all apps (including Ryze Tello app) do exactly the same thing: All we do is send stick positions. For hover the command is like "all sticks 0%". So any claims of stability or instability are just perceived but not real. I'd gladly buy a box of beer for anyone who can prove otherwise.

Overall the control apps don't do any magic. All we do is send stick commands (yea, and video, photo, configurations, etc). The flight control magic is completely handle in Tello's firmware that nobody has managed to modify (as far as I know).
The thing that differentiates Tello App from TelloFpv and aTelloPilot is the use of VPS data provided to build autopilots, which are just "emulated stick controls".

I could change TelloFpv to constantly monitor altitude. If the user does not touch the throttle stick I could automatically adjust throttle so Tello keeps the altitude. The problem that I see is the fluctuations in the altitude measurement. This might cause Tello to go up or down so we don't win much.

Last edited:
Reactions: raulvolador
but in Unix->Linux->Android, what does Exit really do?... stop the process entirely or just park it and 'go home'?

Android is an application framework and not handling processes like an OS. There is no fine grain control over the process (well there is but not for normal apps). So what it"Exit" does is the same as pressing the back button twice. It finishes the Activity, which includes closing all connections and stopping all threads. Releasing as much of the resources as possible, which is almost everything but the Activity itself. The activity is "parked" until Android decides its time to die, so TelloFpv is still in the "Taskmanager" (which actually isn't a task manager at all).
Its all a bit complicated, but TelloFpv tries to be a good friendly citizen: It closes everything it uses when the activity is parked.

300m!? Do you have any videos of such long flights?
Yes, but no Youtube channel anymore. Got banned for not bribing channel owners spamming :ROFLMAO: Just because I posted comments regarding RTH in TelloFpv to a few Tello reviews that were complaining about the lack of RTH.

But Raulvolador has posted videos with much longer distances. I think his record is like 650m. Somewhere here in the forum

Reactions: nahuel
I, for one, would be perfectly fine with external stitching and lighter app; if you decide to do it in-app, then please at least keep the source images intact.
I think we will start off without stitching, and just group the original source images by a special naming convention so it's easy to identify which photos go into a 360/horizontal/vertical panorama

What do you mean by using Xiaomi Nano Yout? How do you connect it to the phone?

...and I also vote for audio warnings/errors ?

Bug (?):
So, I've been using the Gamesir T1s now all the time while flying the Tello with TelloFPV. One thing I noticed is that the battery remaining percentage indicator is always the same value for the phone as well as the T1s. Yet, once I plug in both devices, the T1s shows that it's pretty much still close to fully charged whereas the phone clearly used a bit of battery power to power the WiFi and screen at max brightness.

At first I thought that the identical percentage values are because maybe the T1s is charging the phone (I am not exactly sure how OTG cable connections work), but now I think the values displayed (for the T1s) must be incorrect.

Maybe it's just an abnormality with my particular setup (LG G6, Tello, TelloFPV 0.94, Gamesir T1s). Btw., I also noticed that the TelloFPV app also shows the phones percentage while the phone is charging. That's cool, --but it also shows the same value going up for the now long-disconnected Gamesir T1s controller. In short, whatever, the value next to the controller symbol shows is actually the phone's(?) battery percentage. I'm using a USB-C-to-MicroUSB OTG cable (it was linked by someone else on this forum, but here it is: CableCreation USB C and Micro USB OTG Cable, 0.65ft Short Type C

Wish (low priority):

It'd be nice if there'd be low battery warning too. Either by using the buzzer in the T1s or some beep coming off of the phone, or, uh, both of course (kidding, --beep is fine). My Tello managed to go into emergency landing mode..., wait: --drum roll--, in the kitchen (during FPV) exactly above the (open) trash bin! (It landed dead smack in the center of of a 12"x12" bin! Luckily, I just had a fresh liner put in, so the mess was limited.)

Reactions: nahuel
What do you mean by using Xiaomi Nano Yout? How do you connect it to the phone?

...and I also vote for audio warnings/errors ?

Xiaomi Nano Youth is a small Wifi router that was used as a wifi range extender before the Xiaomi Wifi+. This was a very common solution for the Parrot Bebop drone (instead of using the bulky expensive Parrot Skycontroller).

I don't know exactly why but as far as I know its still unmatched for the Bebop. At least when using consumer grade gear. Rumors are it just doesn't care about legal output power limits.
It has dual MIMO antenna so maybe thats why its not only good on transmitting but also on the receiving end of a transmission link.

seems acoustic warnings are the next minor thing to do...

Reactions: vazmuten
Bug (?):
So, I've been using the Gamesir T1s now all the time while flying the Tello with TelloFPV. One thing I noticed is that the battery remaining percentage indicator is always the same value for the phone as well as the T1s. Yet, once I plug in both devices, the T1s shows that it's pretty much still close to fully charged whereas the phone clearly used a bit of battery power to power the WiFi and screen at max brightness.

At first I thought that the identical percentage values are because maybe the T1s is charging the phone (I am not exactly sure how OTG cable connections work), but now I think the values displayed (for the T1s) must be incorrect.

Maybe it's just an abnormality with my particular setup (LG G6, Tello, TelloFPV 0.94, Gamesir T1s). Btw., I also noticed that the TelloFPV app also shows the phones percentage while the phone is charging. That's cool, --but it also shows the same value going up for the now long-disconnected Gamesir T1s controller. In short, whatever, the value next to the controller symbol shows is actually the phone's(?) battery percentage. I'm using a USB-C-to-MicroUSB OTG cable (it was linked by someone else on this forum, but here it is: CableCreation USB C and Micro USB OTG Cable, 0.65ft Short Type C

Wish (low priority):
It'd be nice if there'd be low battery warning too. Either by using the buzzer in the T1s or some beep coming off of the phone, or, uh, both of course (kidding, --beep is fine). My Tello managed to go into emergency landing mode..., wait: --drum roll--, in the kitchen (during FPV) exactly above the (open) trash bin! (It landed dead smack in the center of of a 12"x12" bin! Luckily, I just had a fresh liner put in, so the mess was limited.)

Its a bug.

In fact I don't know the battery level of external controllers other than Flypad and T1d. The other controllers are connected as a generic InputDevice and Android doesn't have a way of getting the controller's battery information. Of course each vendor could create an app for each of his controllers, but there is no standardized way.
So this will just go away and be replaced by --

v0.96 was just released on Google Play as a public beta test.
How to participate: Open up Google Play, find Tello FPV, scroll down a bit and somewhere in the middle the page you see an invitation to participate in a beta test. Once you joined you have to leave that page and come back again and you will see the details of v0.96

This works only if you have purchased the current or a previous version. If you want to go back to the official release you can do so by leaving the Betatest program. No worries, you can re-join anytime.

In case of app crashes it helps if you enable "share usage and diagnostics information" Share usage & diagnostics information with Google - Google Account Help
that way I can see an anonymous error report in the Google Play console. I can see lots of details about the phone hardware and android version but nothing else. I don't see anything about other apps, no video, no personal data, nothing. I have no clue what other things google receives about you, but they know everything about you so who cares.

New features
------------
* Recording button now highlighted when recording video
* Option to re-encode JPGs in case of problems (gallery thumbnails or editing apps complaining)
* RTH minimum altitude respects general altitude limit and vice versa
* Warning when altitude limit reached and throttle is still up
* Autopilot performance improved for moderate winds
* Flips
* Option to save raw video stream as .h264 (in addition to mp4 file)
* Menu item EXIT added
* Color scheme for onscreen text and icons modified (green was often invisible outdoors)
* Option to not stretch the video to fit screen (adds black bars to the sides)

Fixed issues
------------
* distortion/green bars around video when played on some Android players as well as IOS / Mac players
* Timing problems causing crash & ANR when leaving the app
* When switching camera from photo to video while in sport mode the video was "zoomed in" (workaround for Tello firmware bu)
* RTH still too fast in sport mode to stop so overshoots the destination sometimes: Speed limited to 5m/s and slowing down now starts at 15m distance to go
* RTH would not work if minimum altitude was higher than the general altitude limit (RTH would only spin into the direction of home but not fyl back home)
* External controller battery was showing data where no data was available

Last edited:
Awesome! I noticed that I have version v0.94 and Google play store says it's up to date... I'm missing two versions? (Counting beta)

Edit: spoke too soon. I got it. I'm in beta now!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crazyed