Hello Tello Pilot!
Join our DJI Tello community & remove this banner.

New app: TelloFPV for Android

In this version 0.97 over the low battery alarm, there are also alarms for other critical factors? WiFi low signal, VPS off?
Thanks a lot for the hard work you are doing for TelloFPV!

If tomorrow there is no strong wind for the little Tello, I will go and do some flights with the new V0.97;)
No additional sounds. Thee are low priority for me right now.
I want to get the VR release done, and I have limited progress so far.

Just back, after few days, mates.
Now, joined beta tester version, later have wasted Volatello inbox room..:ROFLMAO: ; noticed Exit Button, new color's Drone..and something else here and there.
Pretty beatiful.
Let me know which way giving feedbacks could be considered more useful for yours.If I was able, I'll be happy to do that.
Right now without wifi extend rangeI it keeps good Back To home correctly at 30 m altitude and more 100 meters away.
I know it depends on the firmware completely about stay levelled and VPS stuff for fliying, but with this beta version it's been easier to get smoother stabilized clips, Maybe it's just me.
Considered my average drone pilot ability, I got away with stayed more than 50 meters altitude less than50 cm, longside a wall, without any vibration.
Unfortunately, the frames corrupted or lost, stay there still.

Till now I setted it on h264 stream.

Feedback here is most appreciated.

h264 option just creates an additional file (beside the mpg video) containing the raw h264 elementary stream. It may be useful in case other programs (on PC?) do a better job at repairing the stream than the default Android codecs can do. I will look into other codec alternatives

Reactions: Arthuar
[volate!lo, post: 15229, member: 4528"]No additional sounds. Thee are low priority for me right now.
I want to get the VR release done, and I have limited progress so far.

I understand, thank you and good work with the VR(y)

OK folks, here we go. This is v0.97, should be available in a few minutes from the google play store to all beta testers.

URL join the Betatest: Sign in - Google Accounts

These release notes are combined with v0.96, so not everything is new to the beta testers.

New features
------------
* Recording button now highlighted when recording video
* RTH minimum altitude respects general altitude limit and vice versa
* Warning when altitude limit reached and throttle is still up
* Autopilot performance improved for moderate winds
* Autopilots and Flightmodes both show information when stopped, giving the reason why
* Flips
* Menu item EXIT added
* Option to save raw video stream as .h264 (in addition to mp4 file)
* Option to select Color scheme for OSD, choice between green & orange
* Option to re-encode JPGs in case of problems (gallery thumbnails or editing apps complaining)
* Option to convert photo into PNG (slow, done in background)
* Option to stretch the video to fit screen (adds black bars to the sides)
* Option to display Corruption indicator (little bolt that flashes whenever a video stream corruption occurs)
* Option to enable audible notifications: Button click, camera shutter, video recording start/stop, low battery warning (drone below threshold, phone/controller below 10%) stops after 5 sec

Fixed issues
------------
* distortion/green bars around video when played on some Android players as well as IOS / Mac players
* Timing problems causing crash & ANR when leaving the app
* When switching camera from photo to video while in sport mode the video was "zoomed in" (workaround for Tello firmware bu)
* RTH still too fast in sport mode to stop so overshoots the destination sometimes: Speed limited to 5m/s and slowing down now starts at 15m distance to go
* RTH would not work if minimum altitude was higher than the general altitude limit (RTH would only spin into the direction of home but not fyl back home)
* External controller battery was showing data where no data was available
* Adjust menu items to fit on screen
* Autopilots would do erratic movements in case Tello stopped to deliver position data
* Heading calculation corrected when close to home
* Circle POI only does half a circle
* Screen brightness fixed at maximum

Settings have been re-organized as I was running out of space and also photo functions will need more room in the future. Video settings have become a prime citizen and are no longer "hidden" under expert.

Beside audible notifications I think many will like the "Corruption Indicator". Its a red lightning bolt at the top of the screen that is normally hidden but flashes whenever there is corruption detected in the stream. Since this may confuse casual users it is deactivated by default. Activate it in the video settings.

If you want to try it: Connect to Tello, and then turn off & on the bluetooth of another phone nearby and scan the environment. You will see how often the lightning flashes.

This detects only corruptions that TelloFpv can identify and recover from. There are many corruptions that can go unnoticed and just produce some garbage on the screen

Last edited:
Good night, developer!
I am willing to try your app, but there are some sort of limitations I was not ready for.
Play Store at my Moto Z Force with Android 8.0 is telling me I am in wrong country to download (Ukraine), while play store at my laptop browser is showing me message that none of my devices are supported... LOL what? :)

Screenshot_20190106-225454.png
Screenshot_20190106-225453.png

Hope you can help.
Thanks for all your good work.
Vladimir

P.S. Can the altitude limit be set higher than stock 30m? What's the sense having 100m max distance but 30m max altitude? :)

Good night, developer!
I am willing to try your app, but there are some sort of limitations I was not ready for.
Play Store at my Moto Z Force with Android 8.0 is telling me I am in wrong country to download (Ukraine), while play store at my laptop browser is showing me message that none of my devices are supported... LOL what? :)

View attachment 2530
View attachment 2531

Hope you can help.
Thanks for all your good work.
Vladimir

P.S. Can the altitude limit be set higher than stock 30m? What's the sense having 100m max distance but 30m max altitude? :)

The 30m limit is in the firmware of Tello and can only be changed by Ryze.
I don't know why google play store lists your Moto Z as not supported as it would surely work. But as you have noticed TelloFpv is not available in certain countries, Ukraine included. Sorry.

Good point. Maybe you have keyboard clicks switched off?

Can you try the gamepad with the gemapad tester app that I linked a few teims? Its the first one that shows up on Android.
My best bet is that this controller reports the D-Pad as "axes" (sticks) and not buttons.

I thought the same, but the audio is on and working. The camera shutter made sound, nothing else.

Yes, I tested my controller and it recognize them as buttons. My L2 and R2 are considered axis, so I know I can't use them.
Then my guess is the buttons are non standard buttons and are currently not supported. I will look into controller mapping and add support for buttons reported as axis, as well as non standard buttons, and non-standard axis like brake. Afterwards you will be able to use DPad button as well as L2/R2. But that will only be after VR release.

Regarding the click noise: TelloFpv uses the Android OS keyboard click to report a button press. If you have configured Android to not make a click when using the onscreen keyboard then TelloFpv will also not make any click.
The more I think about this the more I dislike it. I will play my own "click" soundfile starting in the next release.

Thats a business decision I took after the first few days. TelloFpv is no longer available in a number of countries where the relation between revenue and effort just wasn't acceptable. Like countries with more service inquiries than actual sold licenses. Sorry if you happen to live in one of these.

Audio...
There is almost a reason Why users decide to disable Click Sound.
If your users have to hear Click Sound, Why no Sound-off mode?

And Why no Record Audio from Microphone to Video? You thought this App for creating better videos.
So if I Record Video with Microphone Audio I can explain something in the Video for the audience.
In vacation I can Record the Hotel, the beach, Ruins, Sightseeing and can Record my Voice to it. Later in Hotel I can send this Video via Whatsapp. Or to Facebook. Or YouTube. With my Voice Inside. Without beeping Noise from App.

I prefer soundless mode with Option to Record Voice from Microphone.

Big thanks for the beta release 0.97!

Haven't field tested it yet (we flew the beta 0.96 today), but really like the various additions/adjustments. Plus, the actual owner of the drone (the kiddo) is happy to have her various flips back! Kids love that sort of thing... -- it elicits a mere 'meh' from me, but who cares. :)

Love the feature that the screen isn't set to full brightness anymore, as this totally messes up the Samsung Galaxy S7's Personalized Automatic Brightness Control. In automatic mode, the S7 will crank the screen up to an impressive 855 nits! (Whereas, from what I remember reading, when adjusting brightness manually, the max. setting is limited to 450 nits.) For reference, most of today's phones, even high-end ones such as the Pixel 3, top out around 450 nits. One exception is the Galaxy Note8, that blows everything out the water with its 1200 nits (it's popular with drone operators for that reason, but it's expensive still!) I've got a new screen on the way for my busted S7 Active and can't wait to make that the new dedicated Tello controller.

Next, thanks for adding the sound. Can't wait to test that too. My daughter ran the drone hard today and landed it (in gusts/windy conditions!) on a one-foot diameter landing pad at 11% battery power (that really means 1% or 2% left, --ain't that cool? At 9% the Tello takes a controlled dive for the ground). So, some beeping ahead of time will give us all some audible clues while staring at the tiny drone 90' up in the air...

Great that the recording button is now red (as of 0.96, I believe) while recording video, just like the shutter button while downloading a still image. Thanks for that little detail.

hey...
thx for version 0.97
just checking whats new
theres a little bug when switching photo video mode from the flypad controller the little knob in the right upper corner does not move
the frame and icon of vid/cam mode does change

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk
7a94b446410896bda4f24db731b88f2d.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: nahuel
is it normal the recorded video resolution 1280x960px? look stretched in my phone. any option to change this?
when i use official Tello app, the video saved 1280x720p

Fixed issues
------------
* distortion/green bars around video when played on some Android players as well as IOS / Mac players

Later I am going to test the 0.97 in a proper way.
Right now I can state that issue is gone.
Before, with 0.94, when watching directly on the phone than with smartView to a LG led tv, no prob at all; just downloaded to osx, I had the Green band Issue.
Now it's perfect.
I am running on a S8 Oreo based.

A Dopo.

Good morning !

Ok cool ?
Now we Need the Record Audio Button ??
I hear you. On the list, but not yet prioritized.

Big thanks for the beta release 0.97!

Haven't field tested it yet (we flew the beta 0.96 today), but really like the various additions/adjustments. Plus, the actual owner of the drone (the kiddo) is happy to have her various flips back! Kids love that sort of thing... -- it elicits a mere 'meh' from me, but who cares. :)

Love the feature that the screen isn't set to full brightness anymore, as this totally messes up the Samsung Galaxy S7's Personalized Automatic Brightness Control. In automatic mode, the S7 will crank the screen up to an impressive 855 nits! (Whereas, from what I remember reading, when adjusting brightness manually, the max. setting is limited to 450 nits.) For reference, most of today's phones, even high-end ones such as the Pixel 3, top out around 450 nits. One exception is the Galaxy Note8, that blows everything out the water with its 1200 nits (it's popular with drone operators for that reason, but it's expensive still!) I've got a new screen on the way for my busted S7 Active and can't wait to make that the new dedicated Tello controller.

Next, thanks for adding the sound. Can't wait to test that too. My daughter ran the drone hard today and landed it (in gusts/windy conditions!) on a one-foot diameter landing pad at 11% battery power (that really means 1% or 2% left, --ain't that cool? At 9% the Tello takes a controlled dive for the ground). So, some beeping ahead of time will give us all some audible clues while staring at the tiny drone 90' up in the air...

Great that the recording button is now red (as of 0.96, I believe) while recording video, just like the shutter button while downloading a still image. Thanks for that little detail.

Maybe I should look at getting a new phone so I can enjoy a retina burn myself. 450 is the maximum my phone can do. I'm still hooked with the old S4 mini as I can't find a phone the fits my needs better: under 5" total diameter, at least 1.5gb ram, and lots of custom ROMs to chose from (I prefer vanilly Android without manufacturer bloatware)

In the beginning I followed the masses and bought phones with ever growing display sizes. But I constantly had broken displays because. I literally always had a string of replacement displays coming in from china, and after a few display repairs the phone frame would suffer, too. So I went back to sub 5" and no more problems. I can buy spare phones on ebay for a fraction of what a replacement display costs on modern phones.

hey...
thx for version 0.97
just checking whats new
theres a little bug when switching photo video mode from the flypad controller the little knob in the right upper corner does not move
the frame and icon of vid/cam mode does change

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk
Thats a known bug since first release but not that easy to fix so I postponed it. "procrastination" at its best. Now that it's noticed more frequently I will fix it.

is it normal the recorded video resolution 1280x960px? look stretched in my phone. any option to change this?
when i use official Tello app, the video saved 1280x720p
A bug in writing the MPG container dimensions , fixed in v0.96 (now superseeded by 0.97 available on beta stream).

You know, you can be careful and not break your screen. I've had my S8 for almost 2 years and it never has seen a cover. 100% original non broken glass.
Yes I tried that - it just doesn't work for me. I'm too clumsy combined with too many outdoor activities and construction work. Maybe I'm just too careless.

Reactions: GabrielK
Yes I tried that - it just doesn't work for me. I'm too clumsy combined with too many outdoor activities and construction work. Maybe I'm just too careless.
You just need a shatterproof Moto Z Force or Moto Z2 Force covered in a case like Otterbox, and the phone will live forever. :)

Last edited:
Good point. Maybe you have keyboard clicks switched off?

Can you try the gamepad with the gemapad tester app that I linked a few teims? Its the first one that shows up on Android.
My best bet is that this controller reports the D-Pad as "axes" (sticks) and not buttons.

@volate!lo ,

Same issue (not able to remap d-pad buttons) happens into my OTG wired Gamesir T1 controller. I send you four GamepadTester screenshoots, one for each d-pad button. I hope it helps you fixing it in future releases.

All the best.

gamesir t1 dpad.jpg

fgamesir t1 dpad up.jpg

gamesir t1 dpad right.jpg

gamesir t1 dpad down.jpg

gamesir t1 dpad left.jpg

Reactions: Clinton1

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members